• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can I Swim in Vegas in December?

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I've seen this question many, many times on TUG. Generally the answer is, "Not unless you're a freaking seal." But some people don't quite understand that, so I figure a picture or two might be in order.

It has been snowing for over two hours here now. There is a Weather Service Severe Weather Storm Warning in effect until 6 AM tomorrow, and 4"-6" of snow is expected on the Valley floor.

Here are some pictures of my house, the yard, the frogs, and down the street. Do you still want to swim?

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
How come your new van doesn't get a nice warm spot in the garage next to Jerry's Caddy! :)

JeffW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great picture! Wonder what the strip looks like!

I'm not a meteorologist, but my understanding of a desert, particularly in West / Southwest US, is they are anything but moderate in temperature. Those 110 July & August days are offset by 30 and 40 degree days in December & January.

Dallas was I think 75 Sunday, but has had ice during Cotton Bowl games (end of December).

If you want moderate winter weather, I think you need to go south and coastal: Key West, San Diego, Hawaii.

Jeff

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fern.
Those little frogs look like they are having the time of their lives. And that polar bear (lion?)( can't tell because of the snow) also loves it. We haven't had any yet in south Jersey. Get Jerry to pull you around the block on a sled. It might be your last chance.:whoopie:

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
They are now saying that this may be the worst snow here in 30 years. It has been snowing (and sticking) for over four hours now, and is expected to continue through the night. There is snow on the Las Vegas Strip. McCarran Airport is closed as are the roads to Boulder City, Laughlin, Pahrump, Searchlight, and I-15 from Stateline to Baker. Essentially we are closed off to the outside world for now the news is saying.

The streets have snow of several inches, and there are no snow plows. No, that actually isn't true, there are four of them on Mt. Charleston, and a couple are headed towards town I believe. Jerry is out in it, unfortunately. He had to take the dog to the vet's. He called maybe fifteen minutes ago and said traffic was solid from there to our house, going very slowly. Normally this is about a seven minute drive or so, but I expect it to take him over a half hour. He says he's warm, and everybody is driving like they have some brains for once.

Fern

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not a meteorologist, but my understanding of a desert, particularly in West / Southwest US, is they are anything but moderate in temperature. Those 110 July & August days are offset by 30 and 40 degree days in December & January. Jeff

Yes, deserts can be quite immoderate in their temperature swings.

But, we have two types of desert's here in the southwest, a high desert, like Vegas and a low desert like Palm Springs.

In the high desert like Vegas, temps are effected by the altitude. Vegas sits at about 2200 feet above sea level.

Whereas, Palm Springs sits at 472 feet above sea level (Death Valley sits at, 282 feet below sea level).

Thus it's the elevation in the desert that has more to due with the weather, than simply it being in the desert.

So where you can get snow in Vegas, today you are only getting rain in Palm Springs.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'm a ways north of Seattle, where it always rains, rarely snows, and such as that. We've had up to a foot of snow here today. Temps the last few nights have been down in the mid-teens. Daytime highs getting almost UP to freezing, but not quite.

This is crazy. I'd rather go back to Kauai and deal with the rain!

Trade ya, Fern. ;)

Dave

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
It's funny how different areas deal with snow. A few inches in LV and they are bringing in snow plows from the mountains. Here in Colorado we had 8" last week, and no snow plow ever came into our neighborhood. No schools were closed. Businesses opened as usual. No big deal.

I had to laugh one year when we were visiting my BIL in Philly over Christmas. It snowed maybe an inch overnight, and everything was shutdown -- it was like a ghost town. I couldn't believe it! By noon everything had melted, but still no one went to work.

I guess it just depends on if you are used to the snow or not. Any vehicle can go through up to 6" of snow w/o a problem -- if you know how to drive in snow. It's the other people (who don't know) that you have to worry about!

And as for swimming -- it really is just a function of the water temperature. Many ski resorts have outdoor swimming pools that are open year-round. Sure, you're not lounging around the pool in your bathing suit, but in a warm enough pool, swimming in a snowstorm can be a blast! Just check out this picture -- swimming in Breckenridge while it snowed 18" that day!

SnowSwimming.jpg

Kurt

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It actually took Jerry an hour and fifteen minutes to get home. We live in a hilly area, and many people lost traction trying to get up one or the other of the hills. Jerry backed off and went another way three different ways till he finally found a way he could make it home. That's a lot of stress for somebody who has heart problems :( Soon as he was home and relaxed he felt better, thank goodness.

It has stopped snowing here, but if last time is any indication, we may have snow on the ground here for two or three more days. We live in a very sheltered area, and the sun doesn't get to our front much this time of year. I'll have to sweep off my car when I want to go somewhere in a couple of days.

Why isn't my car in the garage with the Caddy? I can't very well park the golf cart outside, can I?

Fern

Jerry is out in it, unfortunately. He had to take the dog to the vet's. He called maybe fifteen minutes ago and said traffic was solid from there to our house, going very slowly. Normally this is about a seven minute drive or so, but I expect it to take him over a half hour. He says he's warm, and everybody is driving like they have some brains for once.

Fern

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why isn't my car in the garage with the Caddy? I can't very well park the golf cart outside, can I? Fern

Too bad it's not a little 4x4 golf cart, to get around the next day or two.:D

Greet Jerry and tell him to get a good rest...and try to stay off the roads till things clear up. :)

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
Wow, we were in Vegas last week, the sun was out and it was 65 degrees. I guess we picked the right week. :)

LynnW

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Fern

It looks like more snow than you had last time! Happy to hear Jerry arrived home safely but I didn't know you had gotten a dog! We have a lot of snow here and it is SO COLD :annoyed: And of course this is the winter we don't have any vacations booked until March :(

Lynn

gary01

TUG Member
Reaction score
So where you can get snow in Vegas, today you are only getting rain in Palm Springs.

Yes, we're only getting rain here in Palm Springs (more than 1.5 inches) but it was C -O - L -D outside yesterday. Only 49 degrees for a high. You can't swim here either....

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Fern: Gosh I never knew it snowed THAT much! We are freezing here in Carlsbad with 40ish weather.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Anyone who wants to swim in Las Vegas is welcome to come swim in my pool. Here are pictures from last night and this morning. We got 8 inches of snow where I live, just a couple of miles north of Fern's house.

http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh150/karengunderson/Snow 2008/

After your swim, you can relax on that soft cushion of snow on the pool deck chair. The spa is a toasty 42 degrees this morning with an outside air temperature of 37.:wave:

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Well, it turns out that we had the most snow in the valley. We're at about 3200 ft, over 1,000 ft. higher than the valley floor. We got 6" of snow in about five hours. Most all of it is still here. The sun is out, but we are on the shady side of the street, so we won't be clear for two or three days, although if we go through the garage we can probably get the car in the driveway out today. The street has two slushy, mostly clear ruts, on the *other* side of the street. We have no TV, because our dish is covered in snow. We'll have to go sweep it off if it doesn't melt off.

I mentioned earlier in the thread how long it took Jerry to get home yesterday. We were lucky. Our community bulletin board had a query from a woman who was worried about her husband. From the first time she posted to the time he got home was 2:07, and he was in the same area Jerry was.

I spoke to somebody in Henderson's City Offices today, and he said that where he lives it was only slushy today, no snow on the streets at all.

We're not crying, but it is the most snow we've had here since about 1979. Since I've never lived in snow, it was interesting. We have no street lights here, yet it was bright as daylight last night. Is that common in snow?

Fern

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
We have no street lights here, yet it was bright as daylight last night. Is that common in snow?

Fern
Yes, very common. It's beautiful at night while everything is covered in a white blanket, but not so much when it starts to melt, get slushy, and muddy from car tracks in the street.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's funny how different areas deal with snow. A few inches in LV and they are bringing in snow plows from the mountains. Here in Colorado we had 8" last week, and no snow plow ever came into our neighborhood. No schools were closed. Businesses opened as usual. No big deal..............

I guess it just depends on if you are used to the snow or not. Any vehicle can go through up to 6" of snow w/o a problem -- if you know how to drive in snow. It's the other people (who don't know) that you have to worry about!

Kurt

We share your sentiments. My son and his wife are driving to SLC from San Diego today. It took them six hours just to get to Apple Valley. Then they got stranded in or near Baker because the 15 was closed until noon. DS said the weather was not bad and the roads were good. He was fuming that the interstate was closed. Of course, he grew up in an area that got lots of snow most every winter and we still went to work, school, skiing, etc. Two to six inches of snow never shut anything down. Maybe if we got more than a foot and visibility was low due to a raging blizzard... Of course, in areas where this is not a normal occurance, I can see where they may want to be more cautious simply because the average joe really doesn't know how to drive in it. It can really tax the police, etc if they have to make many rescues when they don't have the resources to do so.

My husband was slightly amused once when Dallas shut down because they got a little bit of ice. Cars were sliding around everywhere because they just didn't know how to drive on it.

OTOH, put me in the heat in the summer time in those places and I wilt! I just can't handle the heat.

Last edited:

rsnash

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I was trying to figure out where to go for Christmas (last minute because dh realized he had some use it or lose it vacation time). I was deciding between Vegas and Bahamas. Glad we chose the Bahamas. I have enough snow around here!

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes a white christmas!

ENjoy it, we often don't have snow in Calgary on CHristmas but this year it is looking good. I love the snow but does it really have to be -25 with a wind chill up to minus 40?

BRRRRR
Joan

zazz

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's funny how different areas deal with snow. A few inches in LV and they are bringing in snow plows from the mountains. Here in Colorado we had 8" last week, and no snow plow ever came into our neighborhood. No schools were closed. Businesses opened as usual. No big deal.

I had to laugh one year when we were visiting my BIL in Philly over Christmas. It snowed maybe an inch overnight, and everything was shutdown -- it was like a ghost town. I couldn't believe it! By noon everything had melted, but still no one went to work.

Kurt

I do find it odd that people in Philly seem so dysfunctional in the snow since we usually get some every year. But its nowhere near as bad as DC. You don't need terrorism to shut down our nation's capital. You need a few snowflakes.

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Anyone who wants to swim in Las Vegas is welcome to come swim in my pool. Here are pictures from last night and this morning. We got 8 inches of snow where I live, just a couple of miles north of Fern's house.

http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh150/karengunderson/Snow 2008/

After your swim, you can relax on that soft cushion of snow on the pool deck chair. The spa is a toasty 42 degrees this morning with an outside air temperature of 37.:wave:

This is when I would want one of those towel warmers!!!
christmas-1.gif