• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can I still get a refund within 5 days if I’ve used part of the timeshare/vacation-package?

RopedIn

Reaction score
I bought a vacation package and as part of the sign-up bonus, they upgraded my room and gave me resort credits—which was reflected in the contract. I am now home (and still within 5 days of signing), and have notified them via email and certified mail that I’m cancelling the contract, as per all the great advice I’ve read here.

This morning I received an email saying I can not cancel due to accepting the room upgrade and credits. They say I’ve already used benefits of the package, so it can not be cancelled. Conspicuously, they removed PROFECO from being copied on the email, and offered 2 additional weeks “in appreciation of my investment”.

Any advice?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a vacation package and as part of the sign-up bonus, they upgraded my room and gave me resort credits—which was reflected in the contract. I am now home (and still within 5 days of signing), and have notified them via email and certified mail that I’m cancelling the contract, as per all the great advice I’ve read here.

This morning I received an email saying I can not cancel due to accepting the room upgrade and credits. They say I’ve already used benefits of the package, so it can not be cancelled. Conspicuously, they removed PROFECO from being copied on the email, and offered 2 additional weeks “in appreciation of my investment”.

Any advice?
Copy PROFECO and re-send it

RopedIn

Reaction score
Copy PROFECO and re-send it
Should I not bother in answering any of their questions and just resend the initial email?

And am I right in assuming this can’t prevent me from cancelling? What’s the worst they can *legally* do, cancel and refund the contract, but charge me for the upgrades and credits I received?

Thank you so much for your help!

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I would ignore them. You sent the certified letter. I would think the worst they could do is charge you for the upgrades and credits you received.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I would think you could still rescind but they may send you a bill for the full rack rate of upgrade and resort credits that you used or take that out of whatever deposit you paid.

RopedIn

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help! I’ve sent the email and will update here when they reply.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Thanks everyone for your help! I’ve sent the email and will update here when they reply.

Contact your credit card company to let them know that the transaction is canceled.

Bill

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The benefits you used after you purchased won't disqualify you from rescinding, but you may be on the hook to pay the value of those benefits and the value can be held back from the refund. Be firm.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
The benefits you used after you purchased won't disqualify you from rescinding, but you may be on the hook to pay the value of those benefits and the value can be held back from the refund. Be firm.

And boy can they attach some rack rate value to that upgrade.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
bought a vacation package and as part of the sign-up bonus, they upgraded my room and gave me resort credits—which was reflected in the contract.
You are not clear in explaining the order of your upgrade/purchase.

If you just bought a 'package' and are within 5 days, then how could you have been upgraded already b/c you 'bought' a package?

If you bought this earlier, and then took a trip with upgraded room and credits, then you will most likely owe that value.

However, if you took the trip, and were promised the upgrade and credits to 'attend' a sales presentation at which you made a purchase, then no, you owe them nothing if you rescind.

There are also vacation packages sold for a discount that make it clear you must 'attend' a sales meeting, but those do not require a 'purchase' at said meeting

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

If you just bought a 'package' and are within 5 days, then how could you have been upgraded already b/c you 'bought' a package?

If you bought this earlier, and then took a trip with upgraded room and credits, then you will most likely owe that value.

However, if you took the trip, and were promised the upgrade and credits to 'attend' a sales presentation at which you made a purchase, then no, you owe them nothing if you rescind.

There are also vacation packages sold for a discount that make it clear you must 'attend' a sales meeting, but those do not require a 'purchase' at said meeting
Quite often an incentive to buying is an upgrade from the room you are currently in to a better room. Perhaps some dinners and other freebies that you wouldn't have received just for attending the presentation. They do this to lock you into the deal more because if you rescind you may be on the hook for the value of those incentives that you no longer qualify for after rescinding.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quite often an incentive to buying is an upgrade from the room you are currently in to a better room. Perhaps some dinners and other freebies that you wouldn't have received just for attending the presentation. They do this to lock you into the deal more because if you rescind you may be on the hook for the value of those incentives that you no longer qualify for after rescinding.
Agreed, but that's why more info is needed. The OP say they are now 'home' and still within '5 days of signing'.

I think it would be out of the norm to arrive at a resort and get settled, get a sale presentation scheduled, attend, purchase, then move to another room, use other incentives, then leave for home, find TUG, learn to rescind and complete the paperwork and already get a response back and STILL be within 5 days of signing and getting that fancy room.

That's why I think more info is needed

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think incentives to purchase are not considered purchases with visa or they may have been able to charge us for the incentives on a couple of our cancelations.

Bill

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe the OP is a bit confused on his/her posting.

You can not send anything Certified outside of the USA, so I am really not sure what they are trying to say. The US Postal Service would have declined accepting a Certified letter going to Mexico into the mail system.

Now, if they sent it Registered Mail then that is a different story.............

RopedIn

Reaction score

Sorry for explaining this poorly.

I was on vacation at the resort when I was pitched the package, which included additional credits and an upgraded room for the rest of my stay *only if* I signed the deal. The upgrades were in the vacation package contract specifically.

Hope this clears it up!

RopedIn

Reaction score
Agreed, but that's why more info is needed. The OP say they are now 'home' and still within '5 days of signing'.

I think it would be out of the norm to arrive at a resort and get settled, get a sale presentation scheduled, attend, purchase, then move to another room, use other incentives, then leave for home, find TUG, learn to rescind and complete the paperwork and already get a response back and STILL be within 5 days of signing and getting that fancy room.

That's why I think more info is needed
Funny enough, you described exactly what happened, haha. I spent the entire plane ride home (free Jet Blue Wi-Fi is great) researching how to cancel and was extremely lucky to find this website.

They’ve been replying to emails the morning of the following day after each time I’ve contacted them, likely due to me pointing out PROFECO has been notified and is CCed.

Last edited:

RopedIn

Reaction score
I think incentives to purchase are not considered purchases with visa or they may have been able to charge us for the incentives on a couple of our cancelations.

Bill
Can you describe this more please?

RopedIn

Reaction score
I believe the OP is a bit confused on his/her posting.

You can not send anything Certified outside of the USA, so I am really not sure what they are trying to say. The US Postal Service would have declined accepting a Certified letter going to Mexico into the mail system.

Now, if they sent it Registered Mail then that is a different story.............

I apologize, I meant registered mail via USPS, though I also sent via UPS as well.

RopedIn

Reaction score
I got a reply via email, where they removed PROFECO’s email address from being CCed again.

Here is their reply:

“Thank you for your response, in this case that article that you are mentioning is valid as long you haven used any benefits given. which this is not the case you used the benefits attach in this email.”

And then they attached the two pages of the contract that include the upgraded room and the resort credits as part of the deal. Any advice on how to proceed?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Respond with an email copying profeco, demanding that they rescind the contract and that they cease removing profeco from their responses. Make sure their responses to you are visible in the email chain you copy back to them and profeco.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
Funny enough, you described exactly what happened, haha. I spent the entire plane ride home (free Jet Blue Wi-Fi is great) researching how to cancel and was extremely lucky to find this website.

They’ve been replying to emails the morning of the following day after each time I’ve contacted them, likely due to me pointing out PROFECO has been notified and is CCed.
If the sequence is as you describe, there is a lot of 'gray' area. There are certainly products sold that are essentially short 'prepaid' vacations where in Mexico you MAY not even have a ROR at all.

How much your purchase cost and any ongoing fees will dictate whether to rescind even if you may owe for your incentives. Most reputable organizations I believe (when pressured) would write it off. Public pressure always helps, but since you have not yet named the resort, you don't appear to be ready to go down that path.

Good Luck!

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can you describe this more please?

Visa cards offer protection and you can call the card company to dispute the charge up to 14 day from the purchase date. Any product given to you for this purchase is an incentive to purchase and not a purchase. In other words they are gifts. I would call Visa and dispute the charges.

Bill

RopedIn

Reaction score
If the sequence is as you describe, there is a lot of 'gray' area. There are certainly products sold that are essentially short 'prepaid' vacations where in Mexico you MAY not even have a ROR at all.

How much your purchase cost and any ongoing fees will dictate whether to rescind even if you may owe for your incentives. Most reputable organizations I believe (when pressured) would write it off. Public pressure always helps, but since you have not yet named the resort, you don't appear to be ready to go down that path.

Good Luck!
This was with Palace Resorts.

The downpayment was $2,500 so far, and it looks like the used benefits would likely be charged at something like $3,250, while the total cost of the purchase will amount to $15,100.

Last edited:

RopedIn

Reaction score
Visa cards offer protection and you can call the card company to dispute the charge up to 14 day from the purchase date. Any product given to you for this purchase is an incentive to purchase and not a purchase. In other words they are gifts. I would call Visa and dispute the charges.

Bill
Upon looking at the contract further, it’s stated that the room rate would be charged at the “public rate” of $2,500 total for the nights if I no longer retain member benefits at any period over the next 25 years. It also states the same for the resort credits, though it doesn’t say the value.

Last edited:

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
This was with Palace Resorts.

The downpayment was $2,500 so far, and it looks like the used benefits would likely be charged at something like $3,250, while the total cost of the purchase will amount to $15,100.
Upon looking at the contract further, it’s stated that the room rate would be charged at the “public rate” of $2,500 total for the nights if I no longer retain member benefits at any period over the next 25 years. It also states the same for the resort credits, though it doesn’t say the value.
Was it a cash stay originally? B/c you do have the value of that to arguably offset the full 'public rate'.

It's one thing for the new contract to address the 2500 + 750, but remember, if you rescind, that contract is null and void. It takes you back to the beginning.

If you didn't sign anything outside of the contract, I would argue for all your money back