• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can I join RCI or II not to exchange but pay out of pocket for other stays? [duplicates merged]

esteban.pena

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We just bought our 1st timeshare, Tahiti Village odd years use with low MF. We moved forward because we can split the 7 days into 2 trips. I have little ones will enjoy the pools, my question is can join RCI or II not to exchange but pay out of pocket for other stays?

esteban.pena

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We just bought our 1st timeshare, Tahiti Village odd years use with low MF. We moved forward because we can split the 7 days into 2 trips. I have little ones will enjoy the pools, my question is can I join RCI or II not to exchange but pay out of pocket for other stays?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Yes. You need to own a timeshare in order to join RCI or II, but nothing says you have to deposit it. If you later sell the timeshare, you can keep the RCI or II membership alive, as long as you pay the fees, and use RCI or II specifically for the cash options.

Dave

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
BTW, Tahiti Village is associated with both Interval and RCI. So you could either timeshare company - - or both. Both have units that can be rented by the week. Interval calls them getaways. RCI calls them "Last minute vacations (?)"
In either company, You don't deposit or lose your week - - you're just renting a timeshare. Typically the rental cost is much less than the maintenance fee you'd pay if you owned the timeshare. So, it's a bargain. RCI has more resorts and lists lots of WorldMark and Wyndham timeshares and HGVC (Hilton). Interval has somewhat fewer timeshares but has the cream of the crop: Marriott, Westin, Hyatt, Disney, Sheraton.

I've stayed a T.V. twice and enjoyed my stays both times.

If you bought Tahiti Village from the developer, you probably paid several thousands of dollars. If you bought it on ebay, you probably paid a couple hundred bucks or less. So, if you are still in the rescission period check ebay using the key words Tahiti Village timeshare and do an advanced search on completed listings. You'll see a bunch under $100. If you are beyond the rescission period, just ignore the last paragraph and enjoy your new timeshare.

rjwehr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside @Granby Ranch,
Landmark Holiday Beach-PCB,
Inverness @ New Braunfels
Yes. You should be able to do that. However, you must tie your Tahiti Village ownership to your RCI or II account. I don't believe you have to deposit your week/points to have access to Extra Vacations.

I stopped using RCI many years back because it didn't make sense to pay my annual maintenance + RCI membership + Exchange fees for exchanges when I could rent the same thing on the open market cheaper. I'm not saying your idea is wrong; I would just recommend you run the numbers before jumping in. (i.e. RCI membership fees + extra vacation fees vs. renting outright)

You may want to post your question in the "Exchanging Timeshare" section (https://tugbbs.com/forums/forums/exchanging-timeshares.12/) to get visibility for the folks that use RCI and Extra Vacations regularly.

Good luck.

esteban.pena

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BTW, Tahiti Village is associated with both Interval and RCI. So you could either timeshare company - - or both. Both have units that can be rented by the week. Interval calls them getaways. RCI calls them "Last minute vacations (?)"
In either company, You don't deposit or lose your week - - you're just renting a timeshare. Typically the rental cost is much less than the maintenance fee you'd pay if you owned the timeshare. So, it's a bargain. RCI has more resorts and lists lots of WorldMark and Wyndham timeshares and HGVC (Hilton). Interval has somewhat fewer timeshares but has the cream of the crop: Marriott, Westin, Hyatt, Disney, Sheraton.

I've stayed a T.V. twice and enjoyed my stays both times.

If you bought Tahiti Village from the developer, you probably paid several thousands of dollars. If you bought it on ebay, you probably paid a couple hundred bucks or less. So, if you are still in the rescission period check ebay using the key words Tahiti Village timeshare and do an advanced search on completed listings. You'll see a bunch under $100. If you are beyond the rescission period, just ignore the last paragraph and enjoy your new timeshare.
Thanks for your reply we purchased the time share on Ebay

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply we purchased the time share on Ebay
I would purchase an II membership.

I like RCI a lot for exchanging with my RCI points contract. The inventory that they have available for Extra Vacations isn't very appealing to me. Getaways in II are a better fit for our family.

Good luck and don't hesitate if you have any other questions.

esteban.pena

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We just bought our 1st timeshare, Tahiti Village odd years use with low MF. We moved forward because we can split the 7 days into 2 trips. I have little ones will enjoy the pools, my question is can join RCI or II not to exchange but pay out of pocket for other stays?

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Yes, you can join RCI or II to pay out of pocket for other stays. II calls them Getaways and RCI calls them something like last minute vacations.

In my post #4 I said: "Both [RCI and II] have units that can be rented by the week. Interval calls them getaways. RCI calls them "Last minute vacations (?)"

Scavanjer

Reaction score
Is there a post, website or thread on this forum that discusses II Getaways in more detail. I just attended a Hyatt HKB pitch and at first glance the II Getaways were very interesting to my wife and me. I understand we need to own a timeshare to participate in getaways program but I would like to learn more about how it works, any gotchas, and the true value proposition. Any links or pointers would be appreciated thanks

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
II has pages and pages of "Getaways" (cash rentals). Some are great values, other seem exorbitant. Every month or two, they have a "sale", $50 - $75 off. What some members do not realize is that ALL Getaways are FINAL SALE. There is no grace period. There is no refund. II is down now, I'll send an example when I can.

Hyatt owners are not able to exchange into Hyatt resorts. Hyatt owners are unable to see Hyatt Getaway weeks.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you haven't gotten the answer yet, yes. Once your RCI account it set up, just look at Last Call and Extra Vacations. Those are cash paid rentals. As long as you keep up your RCI membership, you can keep getting these whether you still own your timeshare or not.

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a timeshare that gives me is affiliated with both II & RCI- we have deposited it in II but keep the RCI membership just for extra vacations & last calls- 3 so far since February and no deposit needed...