• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can I get some Rewards tips?

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I usually like to do my own homework before asking dumb questions but MR is closed on Saturday. I'm trying to set up a reservations plan for both mine and my husband's Rewards accounts. I already have 91 nights on my account this year. 87 are rollover. Will this be enough to get me to Platinum for 2013 even though they were rollover nights?

DH, however, only has 5 nights this year because I messed up last year and forgot to move reservations to his account to balance out the stays. Marriott has comp'd him Platinum for now. I want to make sure all this year's reservations go into his name IF I'm already secured with Platinum for 2013.

Oh, I forgot to also ask--when do you get the 15 nights for the credit card?

Thanks for any help,
Suzzanne

Last edited:

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I usually like to do my own homework before asking dumb questions but MR is closed on Saturday. I'm trying to set up a reservations plan for both mine and my husband's Rewards accounts. I already have 91 nights on my account this year. 87 are rollover. Will this be enough to get me to Platinum for 2013 even though they were rollover nights?

DH, however, only has 5 nights this year because I messed up last year and forgot to move reservations to his account to balance out the stays. Marriott has comp'd him Platinum for now. I want to make sure all this year's reservations go into his name IF I'm already secured with Platinum for 2013.

Thanks for any help,
Suzzanne

Suzanne,
If you currently have 91 nights then you'll have platinum status until Feb. 28, 2014. Whatever status is earned in 2012 (at any time during the year) you'll keep to all of 2013 and until the end of Feb. 2014.

DH might get bumped to gold/silver on Feb. 29 this year.

Credit card nights post just after the annual renewal date.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you Lisa.

I called Rewards last year about DH's account. I was told they would keep his Plt status if he started tracking at same level with early reservations in '12. We'll have another 14 days for him by end of Feb. and then all of March and April. So he's good.

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
DH & I both currently have plat, but I think he'll lose it at the end of this month.
I've been putting all our reservations in my name because I'd like to achieve lifetime plat. It's a ways off, but it would be nice to know I won't be dropped from plat status.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

Thanks for any help,
Suzzanne

You should get the elite nights from the credit card on or shortly after the account anniversary.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should get the elite nights from the credit card on or shortly after the account anniversary.

Thank you dioxide.

I think my husband's elite nights already came in January but aren't showing anymore. I was wondering if they come next January will they count towards the end of the year '12 since MR tallies things up in February.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Thank you dioxide.

I think my husband's elite nights already came in January but aren't showing anymore. I was wondering if they come next January will they count towards the end of the year '12 since MR tallies things up in February.

Nights are credited in the year they are actually earned. So if the nights credit in January 2012, they count to the accrual for the 2012 year. So if he just got the nights in January, they should still be there and count toward this year.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Don't forget that for next year, your rollover nights will not rollover.
So whatever rollover nights you end the year with, 87 will be removed.

So you will most likely start 2013 as a Platinum with 0 nights.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that for next year, your rollover nights will not rollover.
So whatever rollover nights you end the year with, 87 will be removed.

So you will most likely start 2013 as a Platinum with 0 nights.

Thanks rthib. That brings up my next question. Some weeks we have 2 rooms and 2 reservation numbers. I will be making sure one in DH's name and one in mine so we get credit for the nights of both. Even if we put all the spending on DH's Visa I will be getting 15 nights for mine. I'm estimating I'll earn, at the very minimum, 31 nights beyond the 87 rollover. Will these 31 rollover to 2013?

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks rthib. That brings up my next question. Some weeks we have 2 rooms and 2 reservation numbers. I will be making sure one in DH's name and one in mine so we get credit for the nights of both. Even if we put all the spending on DH's Visa I will be getting 15 nights for mine. I'm estimating I'll earn, at the very minimum, 31 nights beyond the 87 rollover. Will these 31 rollover to 2013?

I would suggest asking the Marriott Concierge over on flyertalk.

I think the math is:
Nights (87+31=118) Minus Level (75) Minus Roll-over (87) = Rollover or 0

But last year it appeared that for some it was
Nights (118) Minus Level (75) Minus (Rollover above level 12) so then Rollover would be 31.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nights are credited in the year they are actually earned. So if the nights credit in January 2012, they count to the accrual for the 2012 year. So if he just got the nights in January, they should still be there and count toward this year.

Thank you again dioxide. This made me search for the actual annual date of his card. It's in December. Must have shown on his January account before Marriott did their year-end assessment. The good new--he will get 15 nights in December. The more we pad his account the more will rollover. I'm sitting in the sunroom (snow outside) with pencil and pad making a plan for alternating one of us with rollover nights EOY.

The DC causes issues with nights credited. When I split up my lock-offs I can get 14 nights for 1 week. For the convenience of booking early I gave up the idea of using (2) one bedrooms through II for 2 weeks at Frenchman's Cove. Instead I used a full OP and a full MC week for 12 nights. This changed getting 28 nights to 12. It should be a beautiful trip and if the kids join us it will be more than worth the trade. Still, I will keep splitting my lock-offs and using II for the easier trades where we don't have to book difficult frequent flyer flights.

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score

If you are platinum only the nights above 75 will roll over. The nights rolled over from 2011 don't roll over a second time. So if you finish this year at 118 nights (87 rollover & 31 nights earned this year) you won't roll over anything to 2013.

118-87=31 (you will only roll over anything about 75)

Marriott counts your status as of Dec. 31, 2012 when they compute rollover into 2013. So you'll have to have nights above 162 (75 + 87) to roll anything over to 2013.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would suggest asking the Marriott Concierge over on flyertalk.

I think the math is:
Nights (87+31=118) Minus Level (75) Minus Roll-over (87) = Rollover or 0

But last year it appeared that for some it was
Nights (118) Minus Level (75) Minus (Rollover above level 12) so then Rollover would be 31.

Thanks again rthib. I remember a similar discussion last year but didn't know the outcome. That's why I was wondering. I'll move my question over to flyertalk.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are platinum only the nights above 75 will roll over. The nights rolled over from 2011 don't roll over a second time. So if you finish this year at 118 nights (87 rollover & 31 nights earned this year) you won't roll over anything to 2013.

118-87=31 (you will only roll over anything about 75)

Marriott counts your status as of Dec. 31, 2012 when they compute rollover into 2013. So you'll have to have nights above 162 (75 + 87) to roll anything over to 2013.

Thanks LAX Mom. I went searching over at flyertalk and found this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1303601-update-rollover-nights-8.html

Like others, I wish Marriott did their math differently.

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
It makes sense to me. Marriott will rollover any nights you have above your status level on Dec. 31, 2012. However, they don't allow you to roll over nights twice, so anything you rolled over from 2011 is subtracted from your total first.

Yes, I understand not rolling over points more than once. Since the 87 nights rolled over once to take care of status until the end of 2013 I wish the 31 nights would at least rollover once to apply to 2014.