• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

    Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

    Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

    Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

    Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

    Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free!

    60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

    All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can I exchange prior to Transfer of Title?

patrickg

TUG Member
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
54
Reaction score
0
Points
6
Location
dubai
I have purchased at Ko Olina and am waiting for the transfer of title. The previous owners booked a week at Ko Olina in March next year on my behalf. I want to exchange into a week in Spain in August. Is there some way I can do this, as I have joined II but it won't let me do an exchange yet as the title hasn't transferred.

Is there some way I can reserve the week I want in Spain for August next year in the meantime while I wait for the title to be transferred?
 

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2008
Messages
1,486
Reaction score
3
Points
398
Location
Central Ohio
Interesting question...

Have you investigated to see if it is possible for the previous owners to do it for you?

I'm also interested if knowing from other tuggers what needs to be done in your transaction to make sure that you get that 2009 March week that was booked (so that you can exchange it).

In other works (not necessarily specific to this transaction), what happens if the previous onwners have paid next year's maintenance fees, and plan to use the week in March. What is done differently in that case? Or would that NOT be allowed? Thanks for letting me butt in here....
 

DeniseM

Moderator
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
57,957
Reaction score
9,481
Points
1,849
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
An exchange company won't accept a deposit in your name, unless the deed is in your name.

flyerbobcat - The terms of the sales agreement should spell out who gets use of the 2009 week and who pays the maintenance fee. Sometimes the owner does, and sometimes the new buyer does. That should always be clearly spelled out.

Exchanges can't be "reserved." That wouldn't be fair to someone who already had their week deposited and was ready to actually make the exchange.

Good luck!
 
Last edited:

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
7,206
Reaction score
272
Points
518
Location
NY
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
You might want to ask the seller if he can change the date of the Ko'Olina reservation to later in the year; it would cost $29 to change the reservation to a later date. If any summer weeks are still available, that would be ideal (better trade value). The problem is that, depending upon where you are in the transfer process, Marriott now is taking a few months before transferring the units. That could potentially mean that you won't be recognized as an owner into next year, and then it can take up to two weeks for the unit to get recognized in II.

All that delay would bring you very close, if not into, the 59 day before travel period. If you make a deposit less than 60 days before travel it is considered a late deposit and good for Flexchange exchanges only. At any extent, even if outside the 60 day window, it will have diminished trade value if you are only depositing it 2-3 months before travel. Moving the reservation forward would ultimately allow you to have better trade value when you can deposit the week.
 
Top