• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can I add son to RCI membership for honeymoon

jasperdog

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I'm thinking of doing is adding my son to our RCI points membership by adding him to the title of my property, filling out appropriate forms. If I do that, he can use my points with his future wife for their honeymoon, right? Less than $100 in fees to save $800 on an all-inclusive fee.

Any problems with this idea? I plan on booking the reservation under my name, and then changing it to him.

His wife will not need a guest certificate, will she?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This will cost you far more then just buying a guest certificate, and will make him permanently liable for your timeshare fees, and your RCI fees. Why not just pay for the guest certificate???

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The gift that keeps on giving.....Maintenance Fees.

Now, if the young folks genuinely WANT the TS, that's one thing, but daily, here on TUG, we hear from people who hve inherited TSs from what we assume are loving parents. These people universally are asking how to get out of the ownership and it's obligation.

Jim

jasperdog

TUG Member
Reaction score
This will cost you far more then just buying a guest certificate, and will make him permanently liable for your timeshare fees, and your RCI fees. Why not just pay for the guest certificate???

No it will cost considerably less. The $800 to $1000 discount on AI fee available for RCI members is specifically disallowed when a guest certificate is used.

To answer the other point: I will keep myself on as the owner of the timeshare as well - I have no intention of making him pay maintenance, which in this case is only $200 a year anyway. While, legally, he might be bound to pay, he never will.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
No it will cost considerably less. The $800 to $1000 discount on AI fee available for RCI members is specifically disallowed when a guest certificate is used.

To answer the other point: I will keep myself on as the owner of the timeshare as well - I have no intention of making him pay maintenance, which in this case is only $200 a year anyway. While, legally, he might be bound to pay, he never will.

Unless you pass away unexpectedly, knock on wood.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Which AI only gives the discount to RCI members? Most AI's don't give discounts that are much better than one could get outside of RCI anyway.

kalua

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
adding son to rci membership

I am not a points owner but from talking to an in house expert on a points acct. unless they changed it in the last year I believe all you have to do to add your son onto your acct. is write rci and give them the names of the people you want to add to your membership you could add upto 5 names,there was a tugger on here that sold points at his resort , club trinad, his name escapes me at the present time, but you can call rci and ask if this still holds true,

jasperdog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which AI only gives the discount to RCI members? Most AI's don't give discounts that are much better than one could get outside of RCI anyway.

Its a Palace Resort in Cancun. Looked at 5 discount packages to this particular one (hotels.com, expedia, travelocity, etc.), and the lowest for this particular week is about $4,200. I'm getting for less than half that, including the RCI booking fee, plus 2250 (I think) RCI points. RCI seems to change the Palace resorts that have the AI fee discount every day, but you wind up paying 4/7 of the normal rate.

Son won't get any resort "bonus dollars," but I hear they're not really worth much anyway.

To answer Kalua, I looked at the form you use to add "additional owners" and it says they have to be listed on the "deed or similar document." An RCI rep said the same thing.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Check the palaceresorts.com website. They have prices similar to RCI. I also don't see where they are not allowing guest certs on RCI. Call RCI and ask them for the total including taxes just to confirm and the restrictions on GCerts. You may also want to check the rental sections on TUG and see if any owners have weeks to rent that would have lower AI fees or the same fees with added value like transportation to the resort and any other specials.

One of the reviews on RCI.com said that exchangers get the worst views even when there is plenty of availability. The only way to upgrade was to pay a fee and attend a presentation. Your family should not have to attend a presentation on their honeymoon. Make sure you warn them however you end up booking. Not just about the Palace presentations but all Mexican presentations.