• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can 2021 resale purchase be banked for next year through Interval?

Tcbmcb5

TUG Member
Reaction score
I might be purchasing an EY resale Marriott. Still available to be used in 2021 but I don’t think my family can swing a vaca later in the year and we already have summer plans. I will have to pay 2021 MF as part of the sale and then pay for 2022 MF in early Jan. Once the sale goes through would i be able to join Interval and bank the 2021 week to be used in the future/next year? Thanks for any advice.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I might be purchasing an EY resale Marriott. Still available to be used in 2021 but I don’t think my family can swing a vaca later in the year and we already have summer plans. I will have to pay 2021 MF as part of the sale and then pay for 2022 MF in early Jan. Once the sale goes through would i be able to join Interval and bank the 2021 week to be used in the future/next year? Thanks for any advice.
You should probably ask this in the Marriott forum. Maybe @SueDonJ can move it there for you? You will get the correct answer from Marriott owners.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
There is nothing that says it CAN'T be done. It's just an issue of timing of the season, when your unit closes, the amount of cooperation from the seller, etc.

Depending on season, etc., if seller can reserve a week now for you, you need to make sure your contract and escrow docs to Marriott show that 2021 usage should transfer to you as buyer. This will make sure you get a week in your season. If you have enough time (ie more than 60 days before the reserved week), you can then deposit to II and it will be unrestricted.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're buying a resale unit that has lock off capability then don't forget to lock it off first prior to depositing it in Interval International so that you will then be able to obtain two trades. Marriott will charge you $90 to lock it off.

My guess is that you are trying to buy Marriott's Grande Vista?

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
If your closing date is past the end of your season, you can request Marriott assign you an already deposited unit.
Example. You are buying Platinum Aruba Surf Club. When you close in May 2021 ask Marriott to deposit/assign you a one bedroom and studio from Feb/March 2021.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a week with dues this year that you can't use in some way for most situations, esp not somewhere like GV. You should basically count the fees as an additional part of the purchase price so it raises your price by probably more than the week is worth for GV. It's unlikely you'll get closed in time to reserve a week if it's platinum at GV, your chances are better for Gold though I likely wouldn't buy gold at GV unless I planned to specifically us it there or for the FC and not exchange it. You might be able to get them to reserve a week for you so it'll already be reserved.

Tcbmcb5

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a week with dues this year that you can't use in some way for most situations, esp not somewhere like GV. You should basically count the fees as an additional part of the purchase price so it raises your price by probably more than the week is worth for GV. It's unlikely you'll get closed in time to reserve a week if it's platinum at GV, your chances are better for Gold though I likely wouldn't buy gold at GV unless I planned to specifically us it there or for the FC and not exchange it. You might be able to get them to reserve a week for you so it'll already be reserved.
Thanks. I might just hold off until a 2022 next use comes available. Fees & 2 years of MFs are adding up. Or look for an Every Other Year where next use is 2022 or even 2023. Just to get my foot in the door with Marriott & Interval and learn the ropes. These threads are so informative & I appreciate everyone’s advice.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I might just hold off until a 2022 next use comes available. Fees & 2 years of MFs are adding up. Or look for an Every Other Year where next use is 2022 or even 2023. Just to get my foot in the door with Marriott & Interval and learn the ropes. These threads are so informative & I appreciate everyone’s advice.

That is best, you don't want to get stuck with MFs for a year you can't use it. It can take a while at times to close these deals, and, it's quite possible you'll won't be able to even get a reservation anyway. Yes, you would get a replacement week but really, banking on using it this year given what you described isn't a good idea IMHO.

Definitely go for a 2022+ first use year, plenty of time in that case for things to all happen, and, to learn more about the different ways you can use it. More time is better. There will be some of those first use years you can buy.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Or you could negotiate a better deal that was a win win. Maybe no fee reimbursement for this year's week but you might still get use out of it, just reduced. For a higher end option it might be worth the added cost of admission but certainly not for a GV 2 BR and unlikely for a 3 BR.

travelmom11

Reaction score

I had this same situation two years ago. I was buying a EOY on the same usage year and they had not reserved that year yet. I had them reserve whatever they could as part of the agreement. We closed in June so there wasn't much left BUT what I did get I rented out :) So I considered it a win or help with the fees. I could have deposited it in II but preferred to rent it out.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score

That was my plan. I was excited to get a Marriott and II. Now I still have no account and I am going to lose my odd year week because I can't seem to get this account set up. So yeah, MF for a week that I don't get pretty much stinks. I never thought when I purchased something in December that it still wouldn't be in many months later.