• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Calling USA from Australia

wheaties

TUG Member
Reaction score
Taking a AAA tour with friends to Australia/New Zealand/Fiji. I will not be taking a computer, but do have an iPhone. Can I Skype using my iPhone? What's the cheapest/easiest way to check in with our kids back in the USA a few times during our three week trip? We've never been out of the country that long before!

rossi2021

TUG Member
Reaction score
I live in Australia and what I do when I travel overseas is divert my home cell (we call it a mobile (phone) here) directly to voice mail so you do not get hit with expensive call/data roaming costs and buy a prepaid SIM card (which has data/internet) for the country I am travelling in. In Australia you can buy prepaid SIM cards at most GAS (Petrol) Stations, 7/11 or stores like Coles, Woolworths or Safeways. With the iPhone they take a micro SIM card which is smaller than other SIM cards so I purchased a micro SIM cutter ebay, basically it is like a hole punch but you put the regular SIM in it (make it is in the correct way) then press and the micro SIM is cut out of the regular SIM. Not sure if you can buy iPhone SIMS on prepaid here cause I have never done it. Mobile Phone Co's include Telstra (probably best coverage for most of Australia) Optus, Vodapone and heaps of resellers for these Co. Telsta is best for coverage.
Hope you have a great trip.

PS I had a friend that went to NZ and took his mobile with him, did not make many calls over there but 1 of his kids was playing with his phone playing games and he got hit with a bill for $3,500 data roaming, the kid was playing some game that accessed the internet!!!!!!

Last edited:

mbger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were in Sydney in January and used Skype to call US using our IPAD. Worked great and very inexpensive, 2 1/2 cents per minute.:)

wheaties

TUG Member
Reaction score
Old dog, new tricks. I've never Skyped before and doing so from Australia back to the USA sounds like the best way to go using my iphone. I have downloaded the app. From what I can see, I will need to add $ to have Skype credit so that I can call USA landlines or cell phones, but if I am at a wifi site, I can Skype for free from my iphone to a computer or possibly other iPhone with Skype installed. Am I understanding this correctly? Thanks so much for any help you can give!

persia

Reaction score
Skype works fine on an iPhone (iPad or iPod) on Wifi. It is a computer. You ran run Skype from an OS X/Linux/MS Windows box as well, but it really doesn't get you anything extra.

You might alway want to check the only two "landline" companies that are growing, MajicJack and Nettalk. They have apps that allow free calls to US and Canadian numbers that should work in Oz.

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you can connect your phone to wifi, you can make free calls to the USA and Canada from anywhere in the world via google voice.

www.google.com/voice

zora

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we went to Australia last summer I set up a google voice account (never used it) but bought prepaid phones at the Sydney airport (voda phone) with prepaid international plans and they worked great, even in alice springs. There was a guy from our flight that had done all the research before hand and basically told me what I wanted to buy. Each phone ( one for DH and one for me) was $20. Good luck!