• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Calling Ko'olina experts - Penthouse or not?

bobmcgraw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow Tuggers,

I am planning a stay at Ko'olina and need your advice. I will be reserving an ocean view but I do not know enough about this resort to know the difference between a "normal" ocean view unit vs a penthouse ocean view unit.

Can you all help me understand the difference? I'd also appreciate your perspective on whether or not the difference in points required to reserve is worth the penthouse units or not.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Hi fellow Tuggers,

I am planning a stay at Ko'olina and need your advice. I will be reserving an ocean view but I do not know enough about this resort to know the difference between a "normal" ocean view unit vs a penthouse ocean view unit.

Can you all help me understand the difference? I'd also appreciate your perspective on whether or not the difference in points required to reserve is worth the penthouse units or not.

Penthouse means that there is no one above you and the ceilings are higher. With penthouse ocean view you are guaranteed to be on the 6th floor or higher. With ocean view you could be placed from as low as 1st floor. It is coded as ocean view but you might get a pool view, roof view or palm tree view.

If view is important, then get the penthouse view for sure. If you are ok with maybe getting an obstructuon or partial view, save the points.

If you have any other questions, post away and i will try to answet the best i can.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I have stayed in a penthouse unit and it was pretty impressive. However, when I am reserving now, I reserve a 2BR OV single-entry door because I prefer to be in Hale Naia and that is more important to me than being on top floor. They are all terrific, and something for you to consider.

Best,

Greg

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow Tuggers,

I would do the single entry 2 BR or possibly the 2 BR of a 3 BR over the PH but it does guarantee a higher floor so if you have the points extra, it's not a bad choice.

bobmcgraw

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have stayed in a penthouse unit and it was pretty impressive. However, when I am reserving now, I reserve a 2BR OV single-entry door because I prefer to be in Hale Naia and that is more important to me than being on top floor. They are all terrific, and something for you to consider.

Best,

Greg
Hi Greg - What is it about Hale Naia that you prefer? I've never been to the property so I don't know the "insider" stuff. Also, do you specify the "2BR OV single-entry door" with the Vacation Club advisor or can it be done via the website?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Hi Greg - What is it about Hale Naia that you prefer? I've never been to the property so I don't know the "insider" stuff. Also, do you specify the "2BR OV single-entry door" with the Vacation Club advisor or can it be done via the website?
I reserve my week via a phone call because I am booking 13 months out -- so I specify to the VOA that I want the single entry door. I think it can be done online as well.

It's closest to the ocean and the views angle beautifully towards the lagoon and ocean. Please we like to grill and the grill infrastructure is best by Hale Naia. Finally, the parking structure is large enough that we can always find a space. I've also stayed in Hale Kona and like the central location for that building, but it's grill infrastructure is weakest and the angle of the building makes it more challenging to get a true "ocean view".

Best,

Greg

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I reserve my week via a phone call because I am booking 13 months out -- so I specify to the VOA that I want the single entry door. I think it can be done online as well.

It's closest to the ocean and the views angle beautifully towards the lagoon and ocean. Please we like to grill and the grill infrastructure is best by Hale Naia. Finally, the parking structure is large enough that we can always find a space. I've also stayed in Hale Kona and like the central location for that building, but it's grill infrastructure is weakest and the angle of the building makes it more challenging to get a true "ocean view".

Best,

Greg

Greg; Well said!

bobmcgraw

TUG Member
Reaction score

Best,

Greg
Thanks, Greg...I used your helpful information to book it online. Really appreciate the help!

bobmcgraw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you that offered help. I found it quite useful...TUG is a wonderful resource with members like you!