• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Call from "VRBO"?

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received a call caller ID said VRBO. They wanted to know if I would like to rent out my Interval Weeks that are expiring. They said I had an accommodation certificate expiring in Sept(which is true).
I am pretty sure it's a scam. I know that renting certificates is not allowed. He didn't ask for any money upfront.

Does anyone know how this scam works?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It's a scam, and it's not VRBO - they are going to charge you some kind of an upfront fee to list your exchanges with them.

If there was a number on your caller ID, you might want to do a google search for it, and possible report the info to VRBO.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
i figured. but he didn't ask for $$. Just said to set the price, then they would send a check, once rented.

maybe they will ask for fees to be sent back from the check proceeds

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
They wait until they have you completely hooked - and then ask for the money. There won't be any check, becaue they have no intentions of renting anything.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
@byeloe This is also a common tactic of the advertising/listing companies, which I would guess is exactly who called you. They lie with their spoofed number and lie when they talk to you on the phone, either with the false statement about your supposed expiring weeks or that they have corporate clients ready to rent your timeshare, or both. These companies are fly-by-night scammers who create a website that was only designed to make people think that the hundreds or thousands of dollars they charge is going to help them rent or sell their timeshare. In reality, the purpose of that website is simply to keep them out of jail because they will argue, successfully, that are offering a service for their huge upfront fee with their listing website. This website is hard to find on the internet, hard to navigate and provides only generic information on the resorts and absolutely no detail on what weeks are actually available. That is just the way they like it because they don’t want potential renters inquiring about weeks that they would have to forward to their listing customer because it takes away from their continuous cold calling asking for upfront fees. This business model is essentially a license to steal.

Last edited:

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Scammer: You're in luck! We have secured a renter for your week at the price of $1,000,000,000!

Please send us our processing fee of $1,000 and we'll transfer you the money right away!

You: Just take it out of my rental income

Scammer: That's not possible, and please hurry because your renter may be left on the curb if we don't get the processing fee and you could be sued for millions!

And the scams roll on......