• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Call from RCI?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I get calls from RCI all the time. I usually don't answer them, and no message is left. When I have answered they either want me to a) renew my membership or b) deposit my week at Maui Hill with them.

Today I got another call. Didn't answer, but this time they left a voice mail. It was my "personal" vacation consultant wanting to talk about my future vacation plans. Don't know if this is really in regards to an OGS I have or a week that is already booked, or something else. I may have to answer next time she calls as it peaked my curiosity.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Was it a legit RCI phone number? The one in your Contacts list? Did they say anything specific about what you own, or your name or whatever? If not, then it could also easily be a telemarketer trolling for business.

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Was it a legit RCI phone number? The one in your Contacts list? Did they say anything specific about what you own, or your name or whatever? If not, then it could also easily be a telemarketer trolling for business.

Dave
When it came up on caller ID it did say RCI. But I don't have them in my contacts list. And no, she didn't mention my name or what I owned. I'll still answer next time, if it's a telemarketer I'll just hang up. One time I did answer and it was RCI. Before they could say anything I jumped in and said something like "Did you find us a match for Maui? That must be why you called, I can't think of any other reason". The guy kind of hemmed and hawed, said no they hadn't found a match, but.........................................I hung up about then.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I hung up about then.

That's my worry about II. I have an ongoing search with them, and I don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognize. If they call and I don't answer, will they take that as a "Not Interested" response? I'd hope not, but how would I know?

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
That's my worry about II. I have an ongoing search with them, and I don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognize. If they call and I don't answer, will they take that as a "Not Interested" response? I'd hope not, but how would I know?

Dave
Well I know RCI never calls about a match. They always email. And they keep emailing, even when they don't have a match asking me to review my request and maybe be more flexible. Nope.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
vacation village parkway and links golf and raquet
same thing happened to me. I called the number back and it was RCI. To the original poster that got this are you by chance platinum?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
same thing happened to me. I called the number back and it was RCI. To the original poster that got this are you by chance platinum?
No, I'm not Platinum.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Last time I got a call some somebody saying they were with RCI I played dumb and asked what RCI stood for. He couldn't tell me, just kept going on about timeshare vacations. I hung up on him.

~Diane

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
Last time I got a call some somebody saying they were with RCI I played dumb and asked what RCI stood for. He couldn't tell me, just kept going on about timeshare vacations. I hung up on him.

~Diane
LOL. I had to google it. Now I know.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I get calls from RCI all the time. I usually don't answer them, and no message is left. When I have answered they either want me to a) renew my membership or b) deposit my week at Maui Hill with them.

Today I got another call. Didn't answer, but this time they left a voice mail. It was my "personal" vacation consultant wanting to talk about my future vacation plans. Don't know if this is really in regards to an OGS I have or a week that is already booked, or something else. I may have to answer next time she calls as it peaked my curiosity.

I used to have RCI. Anytime they called it was up sell. Platinum membership, cruises at insane prices.

I’m so glad to be done with them. The membership fees, extra fees, exchange fees, extend points/weeks fees GONE! Yeah baby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I’m so glad to be done with them. The membership fees, extra fees, exchange fees, extend points/weeks fees GONE! Yeah baby.

My RCI membership expires next month, and I'm not going to renew. I haven't exchanged through them in years, and the only thing I've gotten from them in about five years are Extra Vacations for a former coworker, so he could go to a car show in Las Vegas. Every time I think I'm going to use it, I don't. :)

Dave

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I got an automated call from them as well this afternoon. I knew it was unlikely, but I was hopeful they had a match for an ongoing search. It was basically a call to extend my membership for another 3 years (and I don't expire until 2023), so I passed.

It seems as though they are just trying to drum up sales.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
My RCI membership expires next month, and I'm not going to renew. I haven't exchanged through them in years, and the only thing I've gotten from them in about five years are Extra Vacations for a former coworker, so he could go to a car show in Las Vegas. Every time I think I'm going to use it, I don't. :)

Dave

Funny. I haven’t been with them since 2017 and they still attempt to call. I no longer have any timeshares. I just block them. They can just listen to a busy signal.

I agree...they need a re up on your credit card.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a member and do receive periodic calls about deposits , membership renewal and so forth. I put one if the phone numbers in my address book so I see it come up. Usually brief and polite staff.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
I usually do not answer calls from RCI, but when one came in last week I picked up thinking it was about Covid cancellations for my June exchange to Sandcastle II in New Bern NC and/or my September week for Royal Regency, FR.

No....the rep wanted me to extend or add the use of ONE TPU expiring at the end of June!!

Coach Boon

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Seacrest Surf and Racquet ClubHilton Head
I used to have RCI. Anytime they called it was up sell. Platinum membership, cruises at insane prices.

@Fredflintstone. I'm in the same quandary about RCI fees. I have a deeded week and I've been able to trade fairly well. However, every time I turn around there seems to be some fee and some of them are non-refundable. I get they're running a service and they have to earn money but....there has to be some fairness to fees, especially regarding non-refundable fees like exchange fees. How 'bout just a credit. In any case, we're debating about canceling them in the next few years which may result in us deeding back to the resort and taking vacations by renting off of places like Redweek etc...

If I may ask, what are you doing for timeshares trading if at all?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
@Fredflintstone. I'm in the same quandary about RCI fees. I have a deeded week and I've been able to trade fairly well. However, every time I turn around there seems to be some fee and some of them are non-refundable. I get they're running a service and they have to earn money but....there has to be some fairness to fees, especially regarding non-refundable fees like exchange fees. How 'bout just a credit. In any case, we're debating about canceling them in the next few years which may result in us deeding back to the resort and taking vacations by renting off of places like Redweek etc...

If I may ask, what are you doing for timeshares trading if at all?

I used to have 9 weeks of timeshares and sold, dumped them all. I actually took pleasure dumping RCI. I tired of the endless fees, having “we have a contract” rammed down my throat (as if a contract gives them a license to rip me off). I now rent only. I usually get great resorts for less than MF, have no added fees (exchange fees as an example), spend on travel when I want too (versus being forced to pay MF right after Christmas).

In short, renting is freedom. To me, ownership is just a license to squeeze me.

Saying that, I do respect those who choose ownership. I know some who swear by the savings and I am glad it works for them.

In my case, I save the MF, buy dividend stocks with that money saved and use the dividends to travel. I literally save 5 k a year in fees now and get 300 extra a year in dividends plus I still own the stock. In short, I have turned a liability that has no end to fees to assets that help pay a good chunk of my travel.

Plus, I rent where the price and quality is the best. I am not locked into any system or exchange system. Now, to me, that’s freedom. Travel should be freedom, not forced fee structures.

The endless fees of timeshares and RCI is death by a 1000 cuts in my view.

Last edited:

Coach Boon

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Seacrest Surf and Racquet ClubHilton Head
@Fredflintstone What you have said makes sense to me. Here's my one small issue, I dislike standard hotel rooms for vacations. I still work so I stay in them but when on vacay, well, I like the 1 or 2 bedroom units with a properly outfitted kitchen. Are you still renting "timeshares' off Redweek etc... or are you able to find resorts with timeshare like amenities? I've seen some but it does require more work if just using a google search.

Thanks for replying BTW.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
@Fredflintstone What you have said makes sense to me. Here's my one small issue, I dislike standard hotel rooms for vacations. I still work so I stay in them but when on vacay, well, I like the 1 or 2 bedroom units with a properly outfitted kitchen. Are you still renting "timeshares' off Redweek etc... or are you able to find resorts with timeshare like amenities? I've seen some but it does require more work if just using a google search.

Thanks for replying BTW.

I almost always rent condos, many of them are timeshares. Yes, I have used Redweek and TUG as well as resortime. Sometimes, I will call the resort I want to stay at and see if they have condos vacant. I have been successful getting great resorts at 50 percent below MF. Also, because I am a renter, I have been upgraded to a best suite to be wooed while the locked in owner gets the leftovers. I have used EBay, Airbnb, vrbo, maui rentals, for rent by owner. As I have freedom, the choices to look are endless. Just scour the Internet.

I almost always use suites or condos. I dislike rooms too. I have only been in the room only situation twice out of 100s of bookings.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Here’s just one example

On sites like Hotwire you can screen for suites only. Many are one bedroom of better. Prices are usually superb. You can do this screen search on other sites too. Just screen to suites only.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
@Coach Boon

Look at this example

1 bedroom suite in Honolulu for November
Full kitchen
Daily housekeeping. Owners are lucky to get one clean for a whole week)
129 Canadian a night (less in USD)
Backing by Hotwire a subsidiary of Expedia so your safe

0765a3c1f8fdd49be45be4c3ab9bc55c.jpg