• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

California shut down again

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
215,000 new cases in California since June 1st, 2020. For those that watched the conference, did the governor give an estimate of how many were transmitted through the business and venues that he is closing?

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
215,000 new cases in California since June 1st, 2020. For thos09e that watched the conference, did the governor give an estimate of how many were transmitted through the business and venues that he is closing?

Exactly 195,564. Over 90%. Seriously WTF difference does it make! It spreads like wildfire!

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
It matters, if you want to convince people that the decisions are being made based on science.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Dd lives in Santa Clara County. They seem to have been a problem since this started. Nowhere close to the border.
It may not be close to the border but I can tell you border crossers flock to NorCal. Two words sanctuary city. Our only 2 positives have been refugees .

Also as a population Hispanics culturally spend significant more time in groups of their family than their counter parts. They are also more likely to live in multigenerational households. This is not a judgment,so don’t even start. Cultural differences have played a part with Covid in this hard hit community.

California never really opened. But we had plenty of protests and looting.

Work then home has been the routine for the vast majority of Californians despite what people who don’t live here think.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
It matters, if you want to convince people that the decisions are being made based on science.
(removed political comment) It spreads by close contact that is about as scientific as it gets. Just wear your mask and stay inside.

Last edited by a moderator:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
It spreads by close contact that is about as scientific as it gets. Just wear your mask and stay inside.
We are talking about California. If you want full cooperation from as many people as possible you need as many arguments as you can get. People need to make choices and to make sacrifices. Calling them names for not doing what they are told when you let other business open without a proper scientific explanation may be good enough for some but not for all.

Last edited by a moderator:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
So then what is the precise answer to you question?
If I were to guess, the answer would be no. But I asked the question hoping for another answer.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
It may not be close to the border but I can tell you border crossers flock to NorCal. Two words sanctuary city. Our only 2 positives have been refugees .

Also as a population Hispanics culturally spend significant more time in groups of their family than their counter parts. They are also more likely to live in multigenerational households. This is not a judgment,so don’t even start. Cultural differences have played a part with Covid in this hard hit community.

California never really opened. But we had plenty of protests and looting.

Work then home has been the routine for the vast majority of Californians despite what people who don’t live here think.

Facts will never persuade the Karen mob.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Hong Kong is closing their Disney, bars, gyms amongst like 12 different kinds of businesses.
And I think they are in the third wave Of the virus or something like that

If you recall there were constant news articles In the past months/ weeks about how we should do things more like Hong Kong did- to the point of shaming the USA- and attributing the “success” there to mainly mask wearing compliance.

Well now we see how that worked out.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hong Kong is closing their Disney, bars, gyms amongst like 12 different kinds of businesses.
And I think they are in the third wave Of the virus or something like that

If you recall there were constant news articles In the past months/ weeks about how we should do things more like Hong Kong did- to the point of shaming the USA- and attributing the “success” there to mainly mask wearing compliance.

Well now we see how that worked out.
My bet continues to be that Sweden will laugh last after being ridiculed all this time. Their numbers have been going down steadily for 3.5 months.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
My bet continues to be that Sweden will laugh last after being ridiculed all this time. Their numbers have been going down steadily for 3.5 months.
My bet is that no one will laugh about Covid-19. Sweden knows Covid-19 is serious business (no pun intended). Future researchers, though, may discover that shutdowns only delayed the inevitable while layering-on financial and mental health costs, and all the costs of the shutdowns just bought those states/countries a few weeks reprieve (which is what some US states are now experiencing) versus the sensible precautions of Sweden.

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
My bet is that no one will laugh about Covid-19. Sweden knows Covid-19 is serious business (no pun intended). Future researchers, though, may discover that shutdowns only delayed the inevitable while layering on financial and mental health costs, and all the costs of the shutdowns just bought those states/countries a few weeks reprieve (which is what some US states are now experiencing) versus the sensible precautions of Sweden.
I did not mean that they will laugh at the matter, rather they would laugh at their critics who have not been very kind or very patient with them

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did not mean that they will laugh at the matter, rather they would laugh at their critics who have not been very kind or very patient with them
I know that is what you meant, and I think everyone else does, too. It was an extraordinarily poor choice of words.

Last edited:

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Many of those critics have been Swedish citizens, which I am sure you realize as well.

One honest question, Danny--why does the state of the virus in the US, and what we choose to do or not to do policy-wise, cause you such fascination, since the borders have long since closed, and what happens here will have very little effect on you, one way or the other, in Canada?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many of those critics have been Swedish citizens, which I am sure you realize as well.

One honest question, Danny--why does the state of the virus in the US, and what we choose to do or not to do policy-wise, cause you such fascination, since the borders have long since closed, and what happens here will have very little effect on you, one way or the other, in Canada?
General concerns about where the world is heading.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Quit being a Karen Pedro. All the outbreaks are along the border. We can’t control what goes on in Mexico.
For real though, I met a woman named Karen at the pool in Orlando. We chatted and she was telling me how cool she is about so much with her kids, she’s so easy going. I just thought to myself, golly, she really doesn’t want to be a “Karen” haha. “Karen’s” will probably be the “coolest” people going forward. Their name has been tarnished haha.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
No, that’s not at all what I meant. Lol

This site is good. It pulls data from recognized sources and simply displays the data. I really don’t care what site you prefer. They all show the same trends. I find it nothing but a distraction that you contest the validity of this site. Frankly, I’m sure none of the sites are absolutely accurate, especially when it’s so difficult to get good data from the source (for various reasons we have discussed previously in other threads).

If you’ve got an issue with the data as presented on this site, bring some proof. I’m always interested in that discussion...but discounting it because of who built the site..no, just no. That’s almost like saying someone who never taught and had no direct experience in public education should become Secretary of Education...oh, wait.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's not accurate at all, so you've further made my point.

Determining the effective infection retransmission rate is not a basic formula, or simple reposting of data, as you assert. So you've already misrepresented what the site itself is, either intentionally or because you don't know yourself.

If you look deeper, the site itself talks about the model that it has built, it is not some well accepted scientific calculation. Maybe it's somewhat accurate, maybe not. But certainly it is not scientific in any sense.

As noted, it is not an easy task to calculate the infection retransmission rate, which often varies by locale, strains that are permeating, variances in populations, and many factors. I have seen a few references to actual research institutions trying to approximate these rates, but none have asserted that they are definitive, or even sufficient to use for any type of behavior changes or wide public policy decisions. And those are from highly specialized experts in the fields of immunology and related fields.

So forgive me, and hopefully others, for not accepting that whatever the instagram guys have created as their untested, unreviewed model may not be accurate or scientifically supported. I don't believe something just because it's fancy and on the internet, but sadly too many people do, especially our younger generations. Critical thinking, analysis, and self thinking is becoming a relic of the past.

Your last sentence about the secretary of education, while trying to be sarcastic, bookends your full response, again supporting my position. Cheers!:geek:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My God son, future spouse is a RN in a San Diego hospital, that have been assigned to the Coronavirus floor, for the past several months. That is why, I am very upset with what is going on in California.

Please wear masks and practice social distancing. My post is not about me, it is about protecting people lives in California and all over the world.

Finally, The Association of American Medical College (AAMC) are supporting Dr. Fauci in wearing Masks and Social Distancing.
This group is make up of every medical college and university in the United States. How is that for support?. Is Medical Knowledge, Education and Training Still Power ?

Last edited:

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank your millenials. They think they are invincible and refuse to conform to the CDC guidelines.
I live in San Diego County and the only people I consistently see without masks are gray haired old men.
Twice I have seen people selling political Tshirts and flags on the side of the road without masks and they and their customers are not social distancing. None of them are millenials.
I don't recall other local orders, but I believe there were some (San Francisco? San Diego?).
San Diego County has had a mask order for a long time. I don't remember when it started, but it was before it was "cool".
215,000 new cases in California since June 1st, 2020. For those that watched the conference, did the governor give an estimate of how many were transmitted through the business and venues that he is closing?
I didn't see anything about that, but I quit watching his live updates because he uses about 3 times the amount of words that he needs to and I can't stand to listen to him anymore. However, everything else I've ever seen has shown the hot spots are bars and house parties. I would think closing all public indoor activities would increase house parties.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
My God son, future spouse is a RN in a San Diego hospital, that have been assigned to the Coronavirus floor, for the past several months. That is way, I am very upset with what is going on in California.

Please wear masks and practice social distancing. My post is not about me, it is about protecting people lives in California and all over the world.

Finally, The Association of American Medical College (AAMC) are supporting Dr. Fauci in wearing Masks and Social Distancing.
This group is make up of every medical college and university in the United States. How is that for support?. Is Medical Knowledge, Education and Training Still Power ?

An RN in San Diego . I got my BSN at SDSU 30 years ago. Makes me wonder about the population they are seeing that are Covid positive. Being a border town has its own unique issues.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I live in San Diego County and the only people I consistently see without masks are gray haired old men.
Twice I have seen people selling political Tshirts and flags on the side of the road without masks and they and their customers are not social distancing. None of them are millenials.
San Diego County has had a mask order for a long time. I don't remember when it started, but it was before it was "cool".
I didn't see anything about that, but I quit watching his live updates because he uses about 3 times the amount of words that he needs to and I can't stand to listen to him anymore. However, everything else I've ever seen has shown the hot spots are bars and house parties. I would think closing all public indoor activities would increase house parties.
How is the City of San Diego doing right now ?

turkel, when I asked about what is going at the hospital. They will change the subject and will not talk about it.

I know and have read about the fire at the Naval Station. I loved this City and the people of San Diego.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
[/QUOTE]
I will second that. He is a horrible speaker. He sounds like a stutterer without the stutter.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
How is the City of San Diego doing right now ? IMO?

I know and have read about the fire at the Naval Station. I loved this City and the people of San Diego.
Aside from a bunch of businesses closings, I think all's well here. The unfortunate thing is that half of the people in the world will be below average in intelligence. It's just a basic math fact. So, anytime, anywhere, no matter where you go or what you are going to do, half of the people there will have below average intelligence and there will be consequences.

The fire is on a ship in the bay. It's not blowing my way, but I have a daughter that is in the line of the smoke and she can't open any of her windows because it's that bad and she has asthma.