• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

California Governor Issues Statewide Shelter In Place Order

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
11% infection rate! (800 infected of 7000 test results received) hell yeah, way to go California! More states need to come on board to stop the current USA trending to Italy.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
We have stayed home essentially because Dh is LE and hace 2 w/ asthma. Scary times. I however wasn’t expecting til after Easter. We are trying to maintain normalcy for my children as much as possible.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Yep. My daughter's boyfriend was just laid off and my daughter will be out of a job if this extends into June. Another daughter works high end jewelry and she's definitely worried. We are in good shape so we will be helping them out.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
To the Governor of the state of California...

Sorry, but I like the NY Governor's approach better: Let some peep keep working.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
And the spring breakers at the beaches are still being shown on tv

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I've got a house closing escrow and the house we're moving in to doesn't have countertops yet so I don't have any sinks.

Can the counter top crew be considered essential? Or should I just stop washing my hands?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@buzglyd Home services and construction are considered essential businesses so you should be fine unless your workers decide to not show up. Stores like Best Buy, appliance, and hardware stores are still open in case you need a new refrigerator or your computer breaks. My DH is in IT and went the Best Buy yesterday to buy a computer to install at the office so more of their employees can work remotely.

Keep washing those hands ;)

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter sent me the info on this while I was in a Zoom meeting last night. I was pretty panicked about it, thinking I couldn't walk my dogs anymore. When my meeting was over, I was able to catch the entire speech and he was very explicit, you can go outside and play, you can walk your dogs, just be smart. No end in sight, but it was alluded that this would be 8 weeks.

FWIW, when I was walking my dogs yesterday between rains (been raining in southern California since all of this stuff started), I saw about 3 times the number of cars out than normal during that time. Most places are closed, so I don't know where they were going. Perhaps, they were all going to the grocery store, but it was apparent that lots of people weren't working and they weren't staying home, either.

I encountered a lot less people on the sidewalk than I normally do, but the rain had just let up and there were giant puddles everywhere. Those who I did pass were very respectful, smiling and saying hi while keeping a nice distance, which I appreciated.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I am so thankful my dd who lives in the Silicon Valley is still working. The company she works for has shut down, but she works security and they are still working. This means one of her roommates is also still working since he works security at the same location. But she called last night and she is a wreck. The one "advantage" is that the traffic problems don't exist. Dd says she is getting through it by watching the live steam from the Monterey Bay Aquarium of the otters. I sent her a link I got from Pacific Whale Foundation. They are providing videos of whale watch tours.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Sorry, but I like the NY Governor's approach better: Let some peep keep working.
Some people ARE still working. See my post above.

geekette

Reaction score
I saw about 3 times the number of cars out than normal during that time. Most places are closed, so I don't know where they were going. Perhaps, they were all going to the grocery store, but it was apparent that lots of people weren't working and they weren't staying home, either.
I am one of those that finds taking a drive relaxing but have not gone joy riding since this stuff happened. Not necessarily going anywhere, but just me and my germs in my car. I would think it would be quite a treat to take a drive vs normal clog. We don't have traffic anything like that so no real difference here probably. We pretend to be a big city, but after 9 pm, seems like a small town.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
11% infection rate! (800 infected of 7000 test results received) hell yeah, way to go California! More states need to come on board to stop the current USA trending to Italy.

Infection rate per test. What does that mean?

How many have died worldwide? How many die world wide of influenza and car accidents each year? How many die form the common cold? What is the personal toll to all those affected by these shutdowns?

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Infection rate per test. What does that mean?

How many have died worldwide? How many die world wide of influenza and car accidents each year? How many die form the common cold? What is the personal toll to all those affected by these shutdowns?
Of 7,000 test results received, 800 are infected = 11%.The next math to understand is exponential curves ... this will quickly rise to 20%, 40%, 60% ... scientists said last week 80%. Then the death rate becomes the more interesting stat, scientists are hoping for only 0.8% = 1.6 million in USA. Italy is the trend the USA is following. Other countries worldwide have lower death rates as they acted faster and better.

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
To the Governor of the state of California, Thanks for making a command decision.

I was impressed with the amount of information he had, and his knowledge of the situation. He has clearly been consulting with many experts.

He referred to computer models that predict a 54% infection rate, and compared that with the hospital bed capacity to arrive at a 20k shortage. He went on to explain all the actions they were taking to close the gap, this being just one of them.

I felt a lot more confident of our state govt actions than the federal talking heads that still insist on crowding together on stage at the press conferences.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Of 7,000 test results received, 800 are infected = 11%.The next math to understand is exponential curves ... this will quickly rise to 20%, 40%, 60% ... scientists said last week 80%. Then the death rate becomes the more interesting stat, scientists are hoping for only 0.8% = 1.6 million in USA. Italy is the trend the USA is following. Other countries worldwide have lower death rates as they acted faster and better.

None of that happened in China nor Italy. None of those numbers are supported by scientific data, just speculation. Doctors already saying Newsom's numbers are absurd. Why would it happen here?

Also current death rate in US is 1.3% (of known positive tests, not actual infections), much of which is attributable to the deaths in WA at the home before any type of response here.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None of that happened in China nor Italy. None of those numbers are supported by scientific data, just speculation. Doctors already saying Newsom's numbers are absurd. Why would it happen here?

Also current death rate in US is 1.3% (of known positive tests, not actual infections), much of which is attributable to the deaths in WA at the home before any type of response here.
Wrong

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

Not much difference in approaches. Many peeps in SF Bay Area are still working from their homes and essential storefront businesses are open. Our neighborhood is mainly Silicon Valley tech types so working remotely is not a big deal. Home services continue to be open.

The universities are teaching online classes and using Zoom for office hours and meetings. Our dd took an online final this past week. University has a way to lock down the computer from other apps and turn the camera on to ensure you are the one taking the test and to monitor for cheating.

When you are working from home and your kids are not in school there is not much need to leave your house except for essentials.

+1 Agree the California governor is doing a good job so far. Based on his request to move the hospital ship to LA, it sounds like he believes LA area will be hardest hit. Socal was slower to act than Northern California so they are lagging by about a week.

Last edited:

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Yes, many of us are still working due to remote access. Working and homeschooling. Hubs is LE so he must be on site. I know mental health workers are considered essential as well thankfully. It’s truly crazy times.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
California has also launched a site with how to apply for unemployment, sick leave, latest news:

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
It isn’t hard to guess where posters get their news.

plpgma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Palm-Aire
My youngest son is very worried about his job. He lives in Burbank and is a production assistant at one of the studios; because of his position (which is basically a gopher), he isn't able to truly work remotely -- as such, he is worried that the studio will begin laying off all those who are not doing tangible work. These are indeed strange times we're living in!

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
LA has Skid Row so I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s hardest hit. Skid Row is a city w/in a city.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
LA has Skid Row so I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s hardest hit. Skid Row is a city w/in a city.
Past experience with with New Orleans and Puerto Rico would say you are correct.