• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

buying VDP timeshares at the marketplace

dolpere

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I already own a timeshare and want to buy additional timeshare at the same place, can I combine the 2?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If I already own a timeshare and want to buy additional timeshare at the same place, can I combine the 2?
It's impossible to answer that question without knowing the resort or system. Most you can, some you can't.

dolpere

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at studio at VDP and am thinking of purchasing from the marketplace a 1 bedroom at VDP. Can both be combined for the points or will I have 2 separate points/accounts???

JudiZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
My two units are weeks, not points, so I deal in TPUs. I have a lockout with two studio units and, even though they are connected by a hallway, we need to deposit each unit into the same RCI account and then combine the TPUs after if we wanted to use the combination. I wasn't sure if that's what you meant by accounts but I figured this should answer that either way. Perhaps someone can address RCI points, which may be different.

dolpere

TUG Member
Reaction score
The question is: If I purchase from the marketplace another timeshare at VDP will I have to have 2 accounts (2 different account numbers, my original and the new one I purchase) and 2 different yearly points and 2 different maintenance fees or can they be combined into 1 maintenance fee, 1 account number and 1 yearly points totals etc. or will I always have 2 different accounts to maintain?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
The question is: If I purchase from the marketplace another timeshare at VDP will I have to have 2 accounts (2 different account numbers, my original and the new one I purchase) and 2 different yearly points and 2 different maintenance fees or can they be combined into 1 maintenance fee, 1 account number and 1 yearly points totals etc. or will I always have 2 different accounts to maintain?
Is it RCI points? I believe you will have one account for RCI points. Two separate maint fees which you can pay at the same time depends on where you own and their respective due dates.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You probably want to ask the question or have this moved to the Mexico forum where someone may know the answer.

oldbuyer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hacienda Encantada, Playa Grande, Pueblo Bonito Sunset
Call the member services number you use for your contract. It's best to confirm the exact policies. They can not discuss the terms of the resellers contract but can give you some general advice. Do tell them the date of purchase as they should know the differences by date but will not know about any riders without looking up the contract which only the current owner can find out about before you buy.

All the Mexican resorts I've owned treat the contracts as completely separate transactions. Multiple accounts. multiple MF fees and no combining points or weeks. Everything is booked separately. Most Cabo resorts strip the repurchased contracts of any amenities and riders meaning it might not have the same options as your contract with different booking windows and different inflation clauses etc. I've seen different terms on identical contracts issued within the same year.
The only way I'm aware of combining them is to purchase an "upgrade" which mean paying another 10-15k for about the same thing managed under one contract.- Viva Mexico.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd make a small wager that VDP has a customer svc phone number where you can ask. Mexican TSs just have their own rules. Also ask them what you can expect to pay to transfer the newly purchased 'ownership' into your name. Some Mexican systems have high transfer fees as a 'poison pill' against resales. They want to sell intervals themselves, not existing owners.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

Yes and No regarding Villa del Palmar. Weeks accounts do not combine when bought separately from UVC resale or from UVC. Points accounts are combine-able but all of the points have to be bought from the developers. There are currently three developers with different bylaws and in all point groups. All resale points revert to a timeshare week which would not combine with points. The only way that points can be combined other than buying from the developer is when they are gifted to a relative or occasionally transferred by name change. With some contracts a person can add another name to their points contract and in time take their name off thus transferring the ownership without a resale. No sale is reported to resortcom as a sale would make the contract revert to a timeshare week.

Bill

Last edited:

beach.bar.bob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Universal Vacation Club (UVC) aka Villa del Palmar aka Villa Group
VPA/Elite/Gold
Assuming both VDP accounts are points based accounts, you will have two accounts with separate point balances and separate maintenance fees. Fortunately, there is no financial penalty for having multiple accounts. At one time I had two points based accounts and one weeks (gold) account. There is no combining of weeks with points in any circumstance. You can not just combine two points accounts into one account. In the event you make some sort of upgrade agreement (I did) then the most likely result will be a single account.

However, when I had two points based accounts, I was able to transfer points from one account into the other for purposes of making a reservation. The call center doesn’t like to do it but they can. Also, remember that points reservation can be made for as few as two days... so you can make two reservations using points from one account for a few days and points from the other account for the remainder of your stay... so most of the time having multiple accounts is just a pain in the backside when making reservations. But, having multiple accounts is not really a limiting factor in getting what you want.

FWIW

bbb

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Assuming both VDP accounts are points based accounts, you will have two accounts with separate point balances and separate maintenance fees. Fortunately, there is no financial penalty for having multiple accounts. At one time I had two points based accounts and one weeks (gold) account. There is no combining of weeks with points in any circumstance. You can not just combine two points accounts into one account. In the event you make some sort of upgrade agreement (I did) then the most likely result will be a single account.

However, when I had two points based accounts, I was able to transfer points from one account into the other for purposes of making a reservation. The call center doesn’t like to do it but they can. Also, remember that points reservation can be made for as few as two days... so you can make two reservations using points from one account for a few days and points from the other account for the remainder of your stay... so most of the time having multiple accounts is just a pain in the backside when making reservations. But, having multiple accounts is not really a limiting factor in getting what you want.

FWIW

bbb

Hi Bob, have you been to the Arco lately ? Our last stay was before Christmas. The pools, hot tubs and elevators were on the blink. The new swamp on the south side of the resort that is under protection seems to be drain field over flow. They had a guy hunting rats with a hawk at the resort. After we left there were a bunch of people that were electrocuted in the hot tub, no one died, thank God. If you are still on the advisory board maybe you could tell them to get new towels and linens. The place has gone down hill since our last visit.

Bill

beach.bar.bob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Universal Vacation Club (UVC) aka Villa del Palmar aka Villa Group
VPA/Elite/Gold
Hi Bill
Yep...we were just there first two weeks of Feb. Agree with your comments that the place is going downhill:
- four of five elevators were down during parts of our visit. One was down the entire time. Was told by resort management it was about $100k to replace...apparently no fix for that one...not sure that is true.
- no pool heat...management blames on shipping delays of new heater from US...that I know I don’t believe
- hot tubs in back were closed. Someone was shocked and sent to hospital. Management said they were repaired and ready to go, but need inspection by local authorities before being reopened. Sounds like a simple bribe needs to be paid.
- That’s not a hawk nor is its purpose hunting rats. Arco (and many resorts) hire a falconer to spend an hour or two usually early in the morning at the resort a few days a week. Apparently the falcon discourages all the small birds that swarm the food being served at the outdoor restaurants and around the pool/beach.
- the swamp is usually dry. You know it is an arroyo...the water is the result of an above normal rainfall the past few months. It’s not a drain field. The smell that is sometimes noticable is from the sprinkler system used for the grass and landscaping. They used “reclaimed“ water, a typical water conservation technique used in arid climates. We see/smell it at a lot of golf courses. They do the same thing in Flamingos and in many places in US.
- we had great new towels. We were in an elite room so perhaps not in play for the entire resort.

Totally agree that it has gone downhill the past year. General member consensus is that the developer is way behind schedule in opening the new Villa la Valencia property and must be having a cash squeeze therefore not investing in capital repairs. Don’t know that is true, but the evidence speaks for itself.

I’m no longer on the board, but have already provided this feedback to another board member and several local Arco management employee.

FWIW

bbb