• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying Starpoints

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
so did i, i have the companion pass from 1/6/11- 12/31/12 which is just short of 2 years. my 88 year old Mother is my companion pass and we have gone away every month since. my mother the jetsetter at 88. gotta love starpoints and southwest.:cheer: :cheer:

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
My emails said:

As a new Owner with Starwood Vacation Ownership and a member of the Starwood Vacation NetworkSM program, you are eligible for a special offer to receive extra Starpoints® from the Starwood Preferred Guest® program if you call us by December 15, 2011.​

Upgraded and retroed means you must have bought a unit from the developer, correct?

We just got the email today....just slightly different

As a valued Owner and member of the Starwood Vacation NetworkSM program, you are eligible for a special limited-time chance to purchase extra Starpoints® from the Starwood Preferred Guest® program.

This promotion is available only until December 20, 2011.

I may take them up on the offer....not sure yet. Priced at .0181 cents per starpoint is not bad. I just used 8k in SP for two rooms for Christmas night. Based on the above promotion, that is $145 for the two rooms.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
We just got the email today....just slightly different

As a valued Owner and member of the Starwood Vacation NetworkSM program, you are eligible for a special limited-time chance to purchase extra Starpoints® from the Starwood Preferred Guest® program.

I may take them up on the offer....not sure yet. Priced at .0181 cents per starpoint is not bad. I just used 8k in SP for two rooms for Christmas night. Based on the above promotion, that is $145 for the two rooms.

I must be on Starwood's 'Coal in Stocking' List - as I have not received this email (eventhough I have already paid our 2012 MFs). When was it sent? 1.81 cents per SP is getting close to the price I would pay for SPs.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I didn't get the new email with the bonus 4,000 SPG points.

I am definitely going to do the 80K for $1550 -- just tried calling, and I see that department closed at 3PM Pacific. Will have to do it the AM.

I'm going to take the 80K and transfer it to my Air Canada Aeroplan account. I'll end up with 125K points there after the 20K SPG bonus (5K per 20K transferred) and the 25K Aeroplan bonus (for transferring at least 100K). With fuzzy math, that should be worth about $3million or so... ;)

Right now, I'm debating whether or not to take them up on the second offer I have for the same deal (I think I got one per new VOI purchased in 2011). We've been booking extra rooms at the Westin Whistler and giving them to relatives to come up for a day or two at Christmas -- 12K SPG points for a $600+ room, so I could turn 80K in to 6 room nights, worth $3,600, and I'll be everyone's favourite this season.

Last edited:

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I must be on Starwood's 'Coal in Stocking' List - as I have not received this email (eventhough I have already paid our 2012 MFs). When was it sent? 1.81 cents per SP is getting close to the price I would pay for SPs.

David -- Don't fall over, but even I got the email. I'm sure yours is coming. I don't think anyone is any higher on the "Coal in Stocking" list than me ... except for maybe Nodge.

RALnGA

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife got this today...

Because you're an Owner, you may choose from two Starpoints packages to purchase:
80,000 Starpoints for just $1,550, plus we'll give you an additional 4,000 for a total of
84,000 Starpoints.

or

40,000 Starpoints for just $775, plus we'll give you an additional 2,000 for a total of
42,000 Starpoints.

Notice it says OWNER ...we have not bought since 2007 ....
RAL

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Now I am feeling left out - what is address of sender? In case lost in InBox

sml2181

TUG Member
Reaction score
I deleted the offers instead of saving them...

would anyone here please have the phone number which is in the message? :eek:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I got my email on 11/30:

Because you're an Owner, you may choose from two Starpoints packages to purchase:
80,000 Starpoints for just $1,550, plus we'll give you an additional 4,000 for a total of
84,000 Starpoints.

or

40,000 Starpoints for just $775, plus we'll give you an additional 2,000 for a total of
42,000 Starpoints.

Starpoints can get you where you're going this holiday season and beyond. When you purchase this exclusive package, you may redeem your Starpoints for up to six years from the date they are deposited into your Starwood Preferred Guest account.

You can redeem Starpoints for:
Stays at more than 1,000 Starwood hotels around the globe
A rental car from Avis® Rent-a-Car
Airline tickets through SPG® Flights, where you can choose seats on hundreds of airlines with no blackout dates
To explore the many ways you can use Starpoints, click here.

Remember, this limited-time offer expires December 20, 2011. To take advantage of this special promotion, please contact Owner Services toll free at 888.460.8502 or direct at 407.903.4651, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern time.

Best Regards,

Suzanne Clark
Vice President, Owner Services
Starwood Vacation Ownership

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I got my email on 11/30:

84,000 Starpoints.

or

42,000 Starpoints.

Starpoints can get you where you're going this holiday season and beyond. When you purchase this exclusive package, you may redeem your Starpoints for up to six years from the date they are deposited into your Starwood Preferred Guest account.

You can redeem Starpoints for:
Stays at more than 1,000 Starwood hotels around the globe
A rental car from Avis® Rent-a-Car
Airline tickets through SPG® Flights, where you can choose seats on hundreds of airlines with no blackout dates
To explore the many ways you can use Starpoints, click here.

Remember, this limited-time offer expires December 20, 2011. To take advantage of this special promotion, please contact Owner Services toll free at 888.460.8502 or direct at 407.903.4651, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern time.

Best Regards,

Suzanne Clark
Vice President, Owner Services
Starwood Vacation Ownership

I still haven't received this email - but I am waiting for my lump of coal...

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Why don't you call and see what they say?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Why don't you call and see what they say?

Because until I saw the above post - I didn't know about a phone # because I never received the email - not to mention no sender info which made me wonder if I had was having email issues.

Answered...

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
Me Too

Because until I saw the above post - I didn't know about a phone # because I never received the email - not to mention no sender info which made me wonder if I had was having email issues.

Answered...

If you call will you let me/us know as I did not receive email either:confused:

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think everyone who claims they didn't get the Starwood email should:

1. Check to see if they are an SVN member. (All the offers posted so far list eligibility to SVN owners. "As a valued Owner and member of the Starwood Vacation NetworkSM program, you are eligible ...")

2. Check the settings on their spam filter to see if Starwood emails go to their Inbox or to Junk.

(And, in reviewing Junk, look at what will be deleted and make alterations to the "safe" list, if necessary, to get the emails from sources you may be blocking. The recent offer about buying Starpoints came from Starwood Vacation Network. The address is starwoodvacationownership@starwoodvo.com. If you want other Starwood offers, unblock that address; if not, don't - but don't complain if you don't get an offer.)

3. Call Owner Services to find out the validity of the email address listed for your Starwood account.

(Every single time I call Owner Services or the Elite Desk, I am asked to verify the email address I am using as a prerequisite to being provided with any information at all.)

4. If you have a Starwood account and are a SVN owner, buy the points if interested and you like the price; don't buy if not interested or you don't like the price.

Too simple. ... eom

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
My concern was more about why I was not on distribution list (was not in spam folder) and less than buying SPs at 1.85 cents per SP. We already have over 300K SPs that we have to spend, but lack extra vacation time and spare $ - so even at a good price - not good enough (for us - YMMV)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For those SVN members who did not receive the email, they are not considered by SVN as "valued Owners"... just a thought...

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)

1. Check to see if they are an SVN member. (All the offers posted so far list eligibility to SVN owners. "As a valued Owner and member of the Starwood Vacation NetworkSM program, you are eligible ...")

2. Check the settings on their spam filter to see if Starwood emails go to their Inbox or to Junk.

(And, in reviewing Junk, look at what will be deleted and make alterations to the "safe" list, if necessary, to get the emails from sources you may be blocking. The recent offer about buying Starpoints came from Starwood Vacation Network. The address is starwoodvacationownership@starwoodvo.com. If you want other Starwood offers, unblock that address; if not, don't - but don't complain if you don't get an offer.)

3. Call Owner Services to find out the validity of the email address listed for your Starwood account.

(Every single time I call Owner Services or the Elite Desk, I am asked to verify the email address I am using as a prerequisite to being provided with any information at all.)

4. If you have a Starwood account and are a SVN owner, buy the points if interested and you like the price; don't buy if not interested or you don't like the price.

Too simple. ... eom

You might think so! But we receive confirmation of SP purchases and conversions and other specials (including the TripIt offer) and none of the exceptions apply - Still no E-mail and still wondering! ;:confused:

Last edited:

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I still haven't received this email - but I am waiting for my lump of coal...

We got the 2 emails about being a "new" owner (80,000 SPG points for $1,550 each, offer "extended" to Dec 15th -- I took advantage of both), but no emails about being a "valued" owner (with the bonus points).

Checking with SVO, it appears I had 12 "SPG Promo Certificates" (with the 4,000 bonus Starpoints, referencing code "SPG 1") that expired June 1st, and there are another 6 of these offers (without the bonus points?) still valid until June 1st next year. All associated with the developer units purchased in 2011.

I have no idea how they came up with 9 offers per unit...

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Don't feel alone, David. I didn't get the email either.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
A little known fact about the emailed offer.

I called today to pick up the option to purchase 80,000 Starpoints (plus a 4,000 bonus) for $1,550. Those who got the email will be offered more than 1 option when they call. This does not show in the text of the email. I was offered 6 and was told it was not related to Starwood Elite status (and exercised all of them to pick up 504,000 Starpoints). ... eom

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Has anybody had any luck exercising this deal WITHOUT having received the e-mail?

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
Had To Call And request

Too simple. ... eom

We never received an E-Mail but called and asked - they first offered to convert one of four "promos" (80,000 for $1,550) we have until 12/2013 - I then suggested that we met their rquirement of having bought during 2010 or 2011 and they did indeed offer 80,000 plus 4,000 for $1,550 which we exercised. We too believe SP's when used wisely can be of great benefit! We were not offerred more than one additional.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
ValleyGirl, ... "I then suggested that we met their rquirement of having bought during 2010 or 2011 and they did indeed offer 80,000 plus 4,000 for $1,550 which we exercised."

Maybe there were a certain number of promos budgeted and set aside by Starwood for sale in 2010, Starwood did not sell enough units, offerred the promos to owners, was successful and Starwood is now running short.

Nothing said that in my email. However, nothing in my email said anything about the 6 (rather than 1) promos I was offered 10 days ago. Also, nothing in my email mentioned anything about a "requirement" of a Starwood purchase in 2010 or 2011 (although I did upgrade an EOY Lagunamar to an annual this year to retro a WMH).

The offer expires 12/20. It's now 12/18. If you don't call you can't purchase. SeaSix posted a copy of an email - including a number to call.

Since none of us have actual answers, if you are interested in purchasing Starpoints, CALL and ask about the current promo.

I called the Elite number on 12/7 to make my purchases of the promos. It took about a week for the Starpoints to show up in my SPG account. ... eom

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called the Elite number on 12/7 to make my purchases of the promos. It took about a week for the Starpoints to show up in my SPG account. ... eom

Was told 5 to 7 business days from purchase to the points showing up in the SPG account.

Purchased first batch on Dec 1st, posted on Dec 6th.

Purchased second batch on Dec 5th, haven't posted yet -- gonna call tomorrow to get them to track down what's up...