• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying Resale will owners previous years points transfer.

ExplorerII

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have seen and gotten mixed answers on this. I am buying a contract and expect the transfer to be complete in the next couple of weeks. The anniversary date is October and the seller still has all their points. What is the consensus here. Will I receive the points in the transfer or probably not?

Thank you all

troy12n

Reaction score
I would have thought so until someone posted recently that Wyndham isn't transferring current UY points more than 4 months into the UY, which is a change, and seems like complete BS... maybe others can comment. I'm sure if you bitched loud enough to Owner Care they might be able to fix it

ExplorerII

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's interesting. I was told today by Wyndham that they cannot guarantee it. They said my request was "placed in batch on December 7th". I know the points allocated on October 1st. So I am really curious to see if these points come over.

I appreciate any input from you guys.

weems637

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton HGVC Tuscany
Hurricane House in Sanibel Island (managed by Hilton
Wyndham Cypress Palms
Wyndham Glades
Club Wyndham Access
Worse case, have the seller book you a trip with the unused points.

Reaction score
Worse case, have the seller book you a trip with the unused points.
I've asked a seller about whether this might be possible before and they said that Wyndham will cancel reservations if the underlying contract/points get sold/transferred to someone else.

Zeke_62

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a contract transfer out of my account on Dec 16, 2022. The points expiring Dec 31, 2022 were pulled from my account.

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort; Wyndham Bonnet Creek; Wyndham Bali Hai; Wyndham Canterbury; Wyndham Grand Desert; Marriott Grand Chateau
Hey everyone. I have seen and gotten mixed answers on this. I am buying a contract and expect the transfer to be complete in the next couple of weeks. The anniversary date is October and the seller still has all their points. What is the consensus here. Will I receive the points in the transfer or probably not?

Thank you all
Please keep us updated. I am planning on buying another contract, but I’m not going to purchase one this time of year now if that means I’ll be paying dues for 2023 but wont’ get points till 2024.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I think if your agreement states that usage begins in this use year, you get this year's points. I am hoping so because I don't need this many points and have been giving away contracts like crazy.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
I think if your agreement states that usage begins in this use year, you get this year's points. I am hoping so because I don't need this many points and have been giving away contracts like crazy.
You know Wyndham doesn’t care about the agreement between a resale seller and buyer. I’ve heard the thing about points not being awarded if the contract transfers after the 6-month point in the use year (that is, owners on FB reported being told that by Wyndham when inquiring about their new resale contracts), but I haven’t experienced it myself.

Reaction score
You know Wyndham doesn’t care about the agreement between a resale seller and buyer. I’ve heard the thing about points not being awarded if the contract transfers after the 6-month point in the use year (that is, owners on FB reported being told that by Wyndham when inquiring about their new resale contracts), but I haven’t experienced it myself.
That's definitely troubling to hear...I hope there's clarity on the actual policy soon, since it definitely impacts how resale buyers should be pricing the contracts (i.e. if a transfer doesn't take place until July, buyers will be paying 6 months of MFs for nothing, which is basically the same as the sale price being ~ $1k higher than it actually was)

How long do transfers usually take nowadays? If the policy is in effect, I'm wondering if this means buying resale in March or April is almost definitely a bad idea.

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort; Wyndham Bonnet Creek; Wyndham Bali Hai; Wyndham Canterbury; Wyndham Grand Desert; Marriott Grand Chateau
How long do transfers usually take nowadays? If the policy is in effect, I'm wondering if this means buying resale in March or April is almost definitely a bad idea.
I bought in October, deed was sent to Wyndham November 4th, transfer was complete January 31st. I got the points, but it was a January Use Year.

ExplorerII

TUG Member
Reaction score
Circling back to update all that are interested. Transfer happened Friday, gained access to account today and I did receive the previous use years points. Now just debating on trying to use them or deposit into RCI as use year is September.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Thanks for letting us know. I have given away a lot and am hoping the new owners will get use of the points because I cannot use all of them.

altiste1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge
Marriott Phuket Beach Club
Wyndham Bali Hai
Do you mean that you’ve purchased contracts where the transfer completed after the six-month mark and you still got the current use year’s points?

I’d love to hear personal experience from the buyer’s perspective, both those who got the points and those who didn’t.

I too am looking to purchase a contract relatively soon and if I pulled the trigger now the transfer would complete after the six-month mark on a January use year. Not getting the current points would be a real issue, particularly if the seller required me to reimburse this year’s MFs from before the transfer completes.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do you mean that you’ve purchased contracts where the transfer completed after the six-month mark and you still got the current use year’s points?
Only many years ago (like two major website updates ago), which I don’t think is a relevant experience in the current environment. The only contract I’ve had transfer since mid-2020 (the most recent major website change and I would think the period that’s most relevant) was an even-year contract that transferred with its points just before the start of its use year. I don’t have any recent experience with a late-year transfer.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even if you got a "recent" data point or three, the way Wyndham handles this seems to be a moving target. Depending on the nature of the transaction, you could work something out in advance with the seller how to handle each possible outcome. That includes a little more trust on both sides, but we aren't talking huge sums here.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Circling back to update all that are interested. Transfer happened Friday, gained access to account today and I did receive the previous use years points. Now just debating on trying to use them or deposit into RCI as use year is September.
When you say previous year, do you mean current use year points (that is, points that can be used between 10/1/2022 and 9/30/2023)? Because that would make sense in any circumstance, because it's before the midpoint of the use year. Or do you mean that there were previous year points (from prior to 9/30/2022) deposited to the current use year that were also transferred?

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The only contract I’ve had transfer since mid-2020 (the most recent major website change and I would think the period that’s most relevant) was an even-year contract that transferred with its points just before the start of its use year. I don’t have any recent experience with a late-year transfer.
Oh, oh, I just had a contract transfer today after I posted this! (I was getting a little nervous only a month out from my points deposit deadline.) Since it was in the first quarter of the use year, everything transferred as expected (full points, no extras, in 2023, '24, '25).

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When did Wyndham get the paperwork? We have a bunch in process, all sent to Wyndham over the last 8 weeks.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I’d love to hear personal experience from the buyer’s perspective, both those who got the points and those who didn’t.

I too am looking to purchase a contract relatively soon and if I pulled the trigger now the transfer would complete after the six-month mark on a January use year. Not getting the current points would be a real issue, particularly if the seller required me to reimburse this year’s MFs from before the transfer completes.
Not that the SELLER WOULDN'T DESERVE the current year's MF's paid. If that is what your contract states, then you should reimburse; however, I did not require that with my giveaway of points.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When did Wyndham get the paperwork? We have a bunch in process, all sent to Wyndham over the last 8 weeks.
Looks like Wyndham had received it the last week of November, so just about 3 months.