• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying points for conv. to HHonors

jbmckin

Reaction score
I am a new poster, relatively new to TS. My in-laws have a unit at the Marriott Timberlodge in Tahoe. I just bought a platinum week in Jan at the Vegas Strip. And yes, I will admit I bought it from Hilton. Didn't find TUG until later. Lesson learned.

I was wondering if anyone has purchased any units (resale of course) specifically for the purpose of converting them into HHonors points. And if so, what would be the best season/point level to max the points per dollar?
I have read all the discussions about the pros and cons of converting Club points to HHonors points, and although there are cons, there are a couple of points that seem to make it worth it IN THE LONG RUN.
1) The HHonors points don't expire. (Assuming you earn some points at least every 12 months. And with a Hilton Amex card that's easy.)
2) You can stay in places without a HGVC club without worrying about RCI exchanges.
3) To get 175,000 pts using club pts conv, you need 7000. To get 175K by earning HH points just by using the card you have to spend about $58K per year. (At 3 pts/$; I am assuming no stays at hotels)
4) If you buy 7000 pts for $14K, plus maint fees, taxes, etc, I aproximate $20,000 total cost for about 10 years.
Assuming you do a Going Global, if the cost would normally be $1800 for the week, the 10 years mark seems to be the break even point. Obviously that depends on the location, etc.

So if you look at it from the standpoint of passing it to your kids, it could benefit them greatly. And you, depending on your age of course.

Anyone ever thought about this? Any comments on my math?

And by the way, thanks to all the regular posters here. I have learned a lot.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Not a good long term strategy

All airline frequent flyer, credit card reward and hotel reward programs go through point devaluation and some are more frequent than others.

A great hotel exchange deal today may not be a great deal tomorrow due to the following
(1) Maintenance Fees will increase over time decreasing the exchange value
(2) HHONOR reward point requirement will increase over time which will eventually impact the number of hotel reward nights
(3) Per the HGVC Member Guide, the HGVC to HHonors conversion rate is subject to change without notice and the benefits available through these programs are subject to change, suspension or discontinuation at any time without prior notice.

It's better to take advantage of the hotel reward stays using HGVC convert points now rather than later.

See these old threads regarding Hilton and HGVC point devaluation
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-129148.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-127757.html