• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying Odd/Even Year - Any issues?

Stevesdesign

Reaction score
I am new to timeshares and looking to purchase HGVC via resale. I am busy I am a platinum honors member so Hilton is pretty much the only way I would go in my purchase. I also have a condo in Myrtle Beach and rent a house at the Outer Banks every July 4 so my week long beach vacations are pretty much taken care of. I am planning on using the points for extended weekend trips, and an occasional trip to Europe. I’m targeting 7000 points in a lower mf resort, probably in Vegas, to give me the flexibility to book my trips. My preferred purchase would be a 1br plus platinum at Elara. In my search I have noticed that the even/odd year resales are considerably cheaper than the annual option. I believe I could purchase 7000 annual points in buying one odd and one even timeshare and come in cheaper than buying the annual timeshare. Is there anything I’m missing that would cost me more in the future if I bought one odd and one even year option? Thanks in advance for your help!

timetofly

TUG Member
Reaction score
From my limited experience, HGVC is not the same level of quality as Hilton hotels. I am not an HGVC owner. I sat through a HGVC timeshare presentation a few months ago and toured one of the HGVC Orlando resorts. It was very disappointing. I was staying at the Hilton Bonnet Creek hotel and it was several levels above the HGVC property in quality and service. I read news reports that Hilton is actively trying to sell off HGVC because of quality issues and HGVC tarnishing the brand name.

Edit: The main drawback to EOY points is the club fees are billed annually. Buying an odd year and even year contract would fix this.

Last edited:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
From my limited experience, HGVC is not the same level of quality as Hilton hotels. I am not an HGVC owner. I sat through a HGVC timeshare presentation a few months ago and toured one of the HGVC Orlando resorts. It was very disappointing. I was staying at the Hilton Bonnet Creek hotel and it was several levels above the HGVC property in quality and service. I read news reports that Hilton is actively trying to sell off HGVC because of quality issues and HGVC tarnishing the brand name.

Eh, I think you are a little off. There a couple of older resorts that need to be updated, but their quality is very good. The Orlando resorts come to mind. I haven’t been to Las Palmaras, but that one seems to have a pretty low rating. Try Tuscany and I think you will be happy. Ocean 22 and Ocean Enclave are fabulous (I’ll put those two up against any Myrtle Beach resorts). Hilton Head, and the Hawaii resorts all get rave reviews.

HGVC hasn’t been owned by Hilton for a couple of years. Much like other timeshare divisions of other hotel chains, they spun them off into their own company. They thought highly enough of them to continue putting HGVC rooms in their hotels. The reason for the takeover (looking less and less likely) was they ran out of the high end units. There wasn’t much development during the spinoff and they sold out very quickly leaving a gigantic hole in their sales. There was a high ownership group (5%) that pushed for the sale and that’s when the news hit. The one piece that’s holding up any sale is Hilton themselves. They don’t want their name being dragged through the Diamond/Wyndham mud. They are holding their brand back and that makes the HGVC company less attractive to potential buyers.

I am new to timeshares and looking to purchase HGVC via resale. I am busy I am a platinum honors member so Hilton is pretty much the only way I would go in my purchase. I also have a condo in Myrtle Beach and rent a house at the Outer Banks every July 4 so my week long beach vacations are pretty much taken care of. I am planning on using the points for extended weekend trips, and an occasional trip to Europe. I’m targeting 7000 points in a lower mf resort, probably in Vegas, to give me the flexibility to book my trips. My preferred purchase would be a 1br plus platinum at Elara. In my search I have noticed that the even/odd year resales are considerably cheaper than the annual option. I believe I could purchase 7000 annual points in buying one odd and one even timeshare and come in cheaper than buying the annual timeshare. Is there anything I’m missing that would cost me more in the future if I bought one odd and one even year option? Thanks in advance for your help!

You have to look at the total cost of owning 2 EoY deeds. You would have to pay 2 closings costs (variable cost) 2 transfer fees ~$450 each and 2 enrollment fees at ~$610 each. If the cost of purchasing 2 EoY deeds is less than 1 every year? You may want to consider it. The $1400 of the 2 deeds might put that out of reach.

One other point. If you have to get rid of them (life happens), you will find the every year deed to be easier to divest yourself of.

I’m going to request that this thread be moved to the HGVC forum as you will get more feedback from knowledgeable HGVC owners there.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I agree that buying 2 contracts will equate to 2 closings which will add up quickly. Annuals can be found however they can have higher buy ins. I lucked up on our HGVC annual after a yr of searching. However I do own an EOYE/O Vistana. Right now it works however I prefer to own annuals especially if it’s truly an annual destination for us.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I believe I could purchase 7000 annual points in buying one odd and one even timeshare and come in cheaper than buying the annual timeshare.
As others have already stated, don't forget to add the closing cost (~$1K) to each deed. I do think that ~7K HGVC points is a good target. Just ensure that you factor in the annual MFs into your purchase.

I am a platinum honors member so Hilton is pretty much the only way I would go in my purchase.
How is this factored into your purchase? I know that I plus several others do use the Hilton AmEx card to pay our MFs. We do receive 14x HH points usually for this. But, if you are thinking of using an HGVC purchase to convert to HH points, that is a poor use of points.

and an occasional trip to Europe.
HGVC has resorts in Italy, Scotland & Portugal (very limited availability). It really doesn't have much presence in Europe.

Stevesdesign

Reaction score
As others have already stated, don't forget to add the closing cost (~$1K) to each deed. I do think that ~7K HGVC points is a good target. Just ensure that you factor in the annual MFs into your purchase.

How is this factored into your purchase? I know that I plus several others do use the Hilton AmEx card to pay our MFs. We do receive 14x HH points usually for this. But, if you are thinking of using an HGVC purchase to convert to HH points, that is a poor use of points.

HGVC has resorts in Italy, Scotland & Portugal (very limited availability). It really doesn't have much presence in Europe.
My point to the HH membership was that I wasn't going with any other brand. I am planning on using my card to pay for mf, and I also get yearly resort credits to use. On the off chance I couldn't travel and had a need for them, I like the flexibility of being able to convert to HH points. As far as the Europe use, I envisioned trading through RCI for that. That being said, it seems like annual is the best way to go. I'm not in a rush so I am going to look for 1br platinum at Elara. Any thoughts on Trump? I've come across a couple of good deal, though the my is higher.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I like the flexibility of being able to convert to HH points.
Be careful and ensure that you understand the rules for converting to HH. The rules are very restrictive on converting this years points. They are only allowed for an immediate reservation (including reservation fee) and at only 20/1 conversion ration.

Conversion for Immediate Use: On or before December 31 of the current year, Members may convert any number of their current year or next year’s allotment of ClubPoints into Hilton Honors points at the conversion ratio of 1 ClubPoint to 20 Hilton Honors points for a reservation at a Hilton branded hotel for immediate Hilton Honors Reservations. For example: 2,000 ClubPoints = 40,000 Hilton Honors points.

Stevesdesign

Reaction score
Be careful and ensure that you understand the rules for converting to HH. The rules are very restrictive on converting this years points. They are only allowed for an immediate reservation (including reservation fee) and at only 20/1 conversion ration.

Conversion for Immediate Use: On or before December 31 of the current year, Members may convert any number of their current year or next year’s allotment of ClubPoints into Hilton Honors points at the conversion ratio of 1 ClubPoint to 20 Hilton Honors points for a reservation at a Hilton branded hotel for immediate Hilton Honors Reservations. For example: 2,000 ClubPoints = 40,000 Hilton Honors points.
Thank you for the clarification. I did not know those restrictions applied.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you own EOY, do you have an issues borrowing points?

I.E if you have an EVEN year ownership are you able to borrow points the ODD year before without restriction? And if you can, do you need to prepay the MF since you did not pay a MF on the odd year? I have owned for years but with a yearly ownership. I ask because if you can borrow without restriction that would allow you to make reservations every year - you just have less points.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
if you have an EVEN year ownership are you able to borrow points the ODD year before without restriction?
If you own an even year HGVC TS, you can borrow in the odd years from your even year point total. There isn't a fee to borrow points, only a fee to save points. You don't need to prepay your HGVC MFs to borrow points (many TS systems do require this). This to me is the reason that you are required to pay club dues every year even with an EOY deed.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
I just purchased an EOYE Hyatt Pinon Pointe and an EOYO Marriott Harbour Lake on the resale market. I think this will work best for me. I do have to pay a little more on club dues but I think I will like the flexibility. Looking to trade in to Hawaii for our 30th in 2022.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you own an even year HGVC TS, you can borrow in the odd years from your even year point total. There isn't a fee to borrow points, only a fee to save points. You don't need to prepay your HGVC MFs to borrow points (many TS systems do require this). This to me is the reason that you are required to pay club dues every year even with an EOY deed.

Thanks GT75. I have an EOY Hyatt and do have to prepay the MF - and they even can block reservations once maint fees come out in late Oct/early Nov and you owe a few more bucks since MFs usually goes up in price - an annoying issue - so I pay as fast as it comes out.

I have borrowed points before with an every year HGVC unit - I just did not know if that made it harder with EOY. HGVC is incredibly flexible so it makes sense.

I am considering an EOY after selling my HGVC unit last year and starting to regret it a bit.