• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying IPAD, Help

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
I need to understand if I would need the 16 or 32 or 64 GB and 4G or No 4G?

I will use mainly on trips and at home to surf the net, watch movies and face time with Kids.

Suggestions?

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I need to understand if I would need the 16 or 32 or 64 GB and 4G or No 4G?

I will use mainly on trips and at home to surf the net, watch movies and face time with Kids.

Suggestions?

Get the best 4G one you can afford. But most people.will be happy with a minimum gb's. But to me 4G is a musy, not wi fi only.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
4G will cost you extra $ per month with ATT, but you would only use 4G if you want to be online and do not have wireless internet access. It depends on how much you are around wireless or not around wireless.

Can't answer you about the 16, 32, or 64, except to say that DS who does a lot with his gets by just fine with 32.

Whoops - I posted the same time as Rick, who clearly has the opposite advice re the 4G. :shrug:

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Thanks how do the 4G plans work? Do you pay every month or as you use the data?

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will be required to carry a data plan. Its every month.

Im not going to get into the 4G debate. :)

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you want or need to be on the internet, all iPads will automatically use wireless whenever they can sniff out a wireless network. If there is no wireless internet available (car, park, travel, places that don't provide wireless), the 4G model with a data plan will automatically connect to the 4G network instead, but the not-4G model won't be able to use the internet. You have to have a data plan to use the 4G connection.

If you will usually or always use the iPad online where wireless internet is available, you don't need 4G. I will use mine at home or work with wireless access; on the occasions when wireless isn't available, I will survive without my iPad, so I don't need 4G.

You need 4G if you will want or need to use the iPad online where wireless internet is not available.

You're spending an extra $130 for the 4G-capable iPad, plus the data plan. AT&T's data plans range from $15 to $50 per month, Verizon's from $20 to $50 per month, no contract or cancellation penalties for either one.

Last edited:

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
But 4G isn't everywhere. If you're actually IN Chicago, you'll have it. But if you're suburban, better check the coverage maps.

4G will of course work on a 3G network (nearly everywhere) but it will be much slower.

Think about where you will use it and for what. If it's at home or work and there's Wifi, that's all you need. There's free Wifi in many hotels, libraries, public buildings, etc. If you want to sit in the park and browse the Internet, you need the 4G model.

If you're on the fence you can buy the 4G model ... I think it's $129 extra ... and not get a data plan until you wish you had one.

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have an android smartphone and tmobile you can use wifi hotspot and have 4g internet from your phone to ipad for free, 5gb a month.

Verizon also offers this but charges you for tethering

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
4G - data plan not required the last time I checked. Turn it off one month and turn it on the next. Also, I was told the 4G has a GPS in it and the others do not. So, 4G is worth it.

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
I cancel my plan every month so it doesn't auto renew. Within a day or so after it expires, I almost always find an excuse to renew. When I buy the new iPad, it will be 64gb and 4g. The only real question for me is -
AT&T or Verizon?

I have at&t right now, but undecided if I should stay or go.

PS - i forgot there is another huge question I must answer too. Which child gets my old one? They are fighting over it already and I haven't decided when to buy the new one

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Get the ipad 2 wih 3g vs new ipad with 4g. That is, if you travel and want to stay connected in airports. If not, just go wifi. Ipad 2 is cheaper.

justnosy

TUG Member
Reaction score
use like laptop/notebook?

sorry if I hijack this thread - I haven't done any research on the ipad but just found out my FIL got an itouch/ipod and he has no computer. can he use the ipad like a computer to hook up to his apple account (which my SO or my SIL will help him set up) If yes then I'll take Beefnot's advice and get my FIL the ipad2 with 3G.

Thanks!

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
As siesta suggested, you'd be far better off to get a cell phone plan with data and tether your tablet to your phone (if you think you want internet away from home).

As far as internal memory, that's a tough one. Since Apple stupidly provides no convenient expansion port, you might want to go bigger. On the other hand, since Apple rips everyone off by charging ~$100 for an additional $20 worth of flash, you might want to go smaller.

From your brief description of usage, I'd go with the 16GB iPad2 w/wifi, and get a cell phone plan that allows you to tether.

Deb from NC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2, wi fi only, 32 GB and it is fine for me. (Actually, the 16GB probably would have been fine for me, but it was a gift so I'm not complaining! ) My husband travels more and got the Ipad 2, 32 GB with
wifi & 3G, and I must say it was handy when we were in the car driving
around So. Cal on our recent trip out west! He has Verizon and can get a month of service for $ 20 and stop it and start the service between trips.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
I purchased a wifi only, the 32GB model. The reason I went with wifi only is one because of cost, both initial cost and monthly cost, and two because I have wifi tethering on my cell phone. So I will have access to my iPad anywhere I have a signal.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
I purchased a wifi only, the 32GB model. The reason I went with wifi only is one because of cost, both initial cost and monthly cost, and two because I have wifi tethering on my cell phone. So I will have access to my iPad anywhere I have a signal.

Question wrt to tethering...does this refer to a wired (cord connected from ipad to cell phone) tether or is the 'tethering' wireless? This being our first ipad, I also have a lot of questions and this thread is very helpful. DH has a smartphone (I don't) and if the tether is wireless, great, if not, will have to seriously consider the 4G option for the ipad. Thx.

Ingrid

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question wrt to tethering...does this refer to a wired (cord connected from ipad to cell phone) tether or is the 'tethering' wireless? This being our first ipad, I also have a lot of questions and this thread is very helpful. DH has a smartphone (I don't) and if the tether is wireless, great, if not, will have to seriously consider the 4G option for the ipad. Thx.

Ingrid
Its wireless, it basically turns your phone into a wireless router.

Worth mentionng to iphone users, mobile tethering is currently NOT supported for free. But if you jailbreak your iphone you can dowload an app for free from cydia app store to do it no problem, MiFi:)

Last edited:

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I use my verizon iphone to provide personal hotspot for ipad. The nice thing about it is that I can provide hotspot for all the devices we have while we travel. I also have friends using MiFi from Verizon or At&t for the same purpose. I would not buy data plan just for one ipad since we will all have to fight for it.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
sorry if I hijack this thread - I haven't done any research on the ipad but just found out my FIL got an itouch/ipod and he has no computer. can he use the ipad like a computer to hook up to his apple account (which my SO or my SIL will help him set up) If yes then I'll take Beefnot's advice and get my FIL the ipad2 with 3G.

Thanks!

It's basically a big iTouch.
It'll do anything a computer will do, but it may be kind of awkward to just use the touch keypad - takes getting used to. If this is fairly limited use, that could be ok.
Those of us who use our computers more would generally appreciate a keyboard, more disk space, more RAM, etc etc.

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's basically a big iTouch.
It'll do anything a computer will do, but it may be kind of awkward to just use the touch keypad - takes getting used to. If this is fairly limited use, that could be ok.
Those of us who use our computers more would generally appreciate a keyboard, more disk space, more RAM, etc etc.
they have a keyboard for ipad, it works off bluetooth so its wireless. Also, extra storage space is not that necessary since there is icloud, and the RAM I agree with, but that is why they keep coming out with newer and faster versions with more RAM and faster processors. I was expecting ipad 3 to be quad core, but knowing apple they like to milk it and I'm sure battery life was a concern.

That being said sometimes you just want a laptop/desktop. I dont see the tablet as a replacement to this, just a supplement.

I have a quad core PC desktop for home use, a dual core laptop for productivity away from home, and my ipad is merely for entertainment as well as browsing email/web and staying connected, not to mention the occasional use of word processing tools via bluetooth keyboard.

Last edited:

javabean

TUG Member
Reaction score
ipad debate

I have iPad2 16gb, with 3g (4 wasn't available). My cell phone is just a phone. My 3g plan is with Verizon, $20.00 per month for each month I have it connected.
I LOVE being able to use it any time, any place. Our daughters travel abroad a lot, and sometimes to third world countries. Thanks to the iPad, 3g, and Skype, we are always connected. Mother in law does not have a router we can hop on to when we are at her house and my dad is in a nursing home and no wireless. They can still view photos of family and I can help them by internet shopping when we are together. The iPad makes viewing large enough. I might feel different if I had a smartphone/iphone.
Good luck with your decision.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the original iPad. 16gb no 3G, just Wi-Fi. From the OP's description of his use and needs, I think one with similar capabilities would fill the bill.

I use mine mostly for travel and as an internet radio to stream what I can't get on terrestrial radio. Works great for both.

Otoh, if the OP's flush with cash, shoot the moon. Buy more capability than you need and grow into it.

Jim

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the iPad 2, 64GB, 3G.

The data plan can be purchased month to month for $25.00. You can cancel and renew whenever you want. Having the data plan when we travel is definitely worth $25.00.

Decide how much you car or are willing to spend and stop there.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
$25 for 2gb with AT&T. I have an ipad 2 3g and I have purchased the $15 200mb plan for two of the 7 months I have owned it. I immediately log in and cancel the recurring autopayment right after I initiate the plan so I dont forget and get autorenewed the next month.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++

Ingrid

Yes, this is wireless. It is fantastic. This allows my wife to surf the web while we drive long trips. As others mentioned, I can have a number of connections. My cell is through work, so I don't know if this is different for a personal account, but to add this feature, it was $10/month. I get unlimited data through our corporate plan, so that's fantastic. And even though my iPhone is just 3G, its still pretty good in most cases. I've been at customer sites where they won't provide network access, so myself and 3 or 4 of my team members will all join my iPhone wifi and be able to do whatever we need via the internet.