• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying into Vistana Resort?

dag2

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm considering a purchase in the Vistana Resort. Which section would you reccommend?

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd hold off for a year or two and let the special assessments end. That said, the best two sections are Lakes and Cascades but most of the sections are being refurbed, with special assessment being collected to pay for it. Lakes has already been refurbed and part of the SA has been paid I think. Cascades has not started the refurb and no SA's have been done.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you thinking of buying from Starwood or resale? Katherine

CeeWoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless you are looking to own in order to join SVN (which may well mean buying from the developer) I'm not so sure I would buy even on the resale market.

When I've looked on the web, I've usually been able to find weeks for rent (privately) for less than my annual maintenance fees. Even some of the hotel rental sites often have them (Vistana) listed at not much more than the MFs

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I've looked on the web, I've usually been able to find weeks for rent (privately) for less than my annual maintenance fees.

Here is some recent Vistana Resort sightings data to support this statement. (The prices quoted are PER WEEK!)

Unless you really, really, really want to regularly stay at Vistana Resort over major holidays, other weeks there can routinely be rented for peanuts via II and RCI. I think its trading power isn't that great either, but it may improve as more of its units are refurbished. Then again, Orlando is so amazingly oversold that I doubt it.

If you don’t already own a timeshare that lets you join both RCI and II, I think you'd be better off buying (resale of course) a cheap, peak season, non-Orlando SVO property that allows you to join both II and RCI (like say Sheraton Desert Oasis, which also has “day use” of its facilities for owners, and can be had for peanuts, but without any special assessments -- so far). You can then use your SDO to:

1) trade via II/RCI/SFX into Orlando (including DVC properties!) and other world-class destinations like Maui, London, NYC (all of which I’ve done using my SDO);

2) provide access to the SVO II 3 day priority window (which allows you exchange into other SVO properties that come available on II 3 days before the general II population); and/or,

3) buy an extra-vacation/getaway or two via II/RCI for cheap during the times you really want to stay at Vistana Resort in the timeshare capitol city of Orlando.

Good Luck,
-nodge

Last edited:

dag2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the info!

I appreciate the info.

dag2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vistana Resort

I did plan to buy on the resale market. The resort looks attractive since it belongs to RCI, II, and SFX. I only plan to trade it, not use it.

dag2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vistana Resort

Is the resort a II five star?

James1975NY

TUG Member
Reaction score
All very good information unless you are someone that is trying to sell your Vistana timeshare. (I am not a seller)

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the resort a II five star?

Under II’s new rating system, Vistana Resort is a “Première Resort” which means that it has “[t]he highest level of recognition, providing an outstanding vacation experience, with state of the art conveniences, and modern features and appointments.”

RCI recently downgraded Vistana Resort from “Gold Crown” to “Silver Crown” status. The general consensus here on TUG is that this downgrade sparked most of the sections to upgrade their villas by calling for special assessments. It is also the general consensus that once the upgrades are complete, RCI will return the resort to “Gold Crown” status.

No matter how II and RCI classify this resort though, there are larger factors in play here.

First, II usually maintains a regional block in Orlando. This means that you will rarely be able to trade a VR for another top tier Orlando resort (like DVC) using II.

More importantly, Orlando is the poster child for proving the law of supply and demand. I haven’t’ checked my facts lately, but I recall reading somewhere that for every 4 timeshares in the world, 1 of them is in Florida, and over half of those Florida timeshares are in Orlando. This means that Orlando has the single largest concentrated SUPPLY of timeshares in the world.

On the plus side, Orlando also boasts having some of the world’s best tourist attractions, but they tend to cater to kids who have to go to school. So, DEMAND fades considerably during many times of the year (and what with the “Dolly Parton Dixie Stampede” leaving town and all, there are now even fewer things to keep adults interested in going there during these off times).

Because of this supply/demand thing, I think it is fair to say that there is an absolute GLUT of unused timeshares in Orlando during many times of the year. Gluts don’t help trading power, especially when RCI and II can’t even give full 2 bedroom L/O’s away for $250/week during certain times of the year.

Of course you can hedge your trading power bets by booking your Orlando timeshare during a peak time like Easter or another popular holiday, but there is no guarantee that SVO will deposit that booked week into II for you. Although it’s not supposed to unless your property is in SVN, many SVO agents think that SVO picks the week to deposit not you, and those agents will often deposit a low demand week.

So, yes Vistana Resort is very nice, and yes it will be even nicer when all of the refurbishments are paid for and implemented. But if you are looking for a powerful trader that you will never likely use yourself, why not look for one in a little less saturated market with far fewer competitors?

-nodge

Last edited:

bigbillf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own an annual 2br at the Lakes (resale). I thought it was nice before the refurb. Last year I bought an EOY 2br LO at the Lakes for $750 (special assessment was paid by the previous owner).

I have gotten great trades through II on the 2br. Vistana Villages and Marriott Beach Place twice in June and this year in late August Marriott Manor Club. Both Marriotts were 2br LO's.

For me, Vistana Lakes works fine. For an entry into Timesharing it is pretty good. Maybe a little later I will upgrade as these units do not qualify for SVN.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own some Falls weeks and 2 Fountains weeks. I have traded them to WKORV and Lagunamar so far this year. My units are good weeks (high demand) and they can see everyone everyone else is seeing with WAAAY more expensive Starwoods (WKV, WMH...). I think it's a fantastic trader for the price, especially given the very low MFs.

All of SVR will eventually be part of SNV too. :) And they are all going through a full, major remodel. The new units look incredible.

I think they are the best deal out there right now. Just make sure you get a good demand week. Spring and July or Xmas/NY :)

Katherine