• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

buying hilton honor points

raiderfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see the hilton credit card is offering that you can buy 200,000 hilton honor points for 1,000 dollars, is this worth it?

gonzaga

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara, 4800, platinum
Elara, 7000, platinum, biennial
A lot of Hilton hotels go for 30k points a night, check on the Hilton honors app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
I see the hilton credit card is offering that you can buy 200,000 hilton honor points for 1,000 dollars, is this worth it?

Thats a pretty common offer from Hilton and values a point at $.005. To really make sense you’d want to have a use for them in the near future, otherwise you’re giving them a free loan. Secondly if you have Silver, Gold or Diamond stays with Hilton you can use them for a 5th night free for a Standard room if you have enough points.

I have bought them in the past at this price and have gotten good value. YMMV.

No need for me to buy any now as I have plenty from a previous buy and points accumulated through a Amex card and some cancelled trips where I was planning to use them.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
They certainly aren't to me. I know that I get > 140,000 HH points free each year from paying MFs at HGVC resorts via AmEx Aspire card. But for you, I would look at the posting from @BingoBangoBongo and @gonzaga to evaluate if it is worth it to you.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
1631639712879.png

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Well, we are taking a lot more road trips lately with stops after about 400-500 miles of driving with our retirement. I have used my points. Trying to decide whether to just use my Hilton Aspire card to just pay directly for our hotel stays. Rick prefers Hilton over Marriott, and Hilton has more hotels where we drive. Even in La Junta, CO, for 10,000 points or $140 + tax. La Junta is a location Marriott doesn't have. We are going there next month. IHG has a Holiday Inn.

I am thinking it's not a great value to buy the points for most stays, but for La Junta, that is a pretty good deal.

Shmiddy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kingsland, Big Island
It would be a strong 'no' for me, but depends on where you plan on traveling. I can get rooms at a Hilton Garden Inn or Hampton in the 30-50K/night range - that would get you 5-6 nights for 200K points. In most areas, similar rooms are going in the $120-$150/night range. Better to pay cash as you use as apposed to giving them your money now to use points in the future. More expensive areas can cost in the 60K on the low end to 100-300K per night for a standard King room - I've seen expensive areas where a night costs 500K points or more. 200K points is not a lot for $1,000, in my book anyway. It's the same thing when the airlines give you a 'bonus' to buy miles - I only buy miles if I need just a few 1,000 to get a ticket, not in bulk up front.

Magus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Elara, Paradise, The District, Kings Land; Craigendarroch Suites
If you have a purchase in mind right now where the fee for those points are cheaper than the cash price for same reservation then yes it would be a good deal. In most circumstances I would say no, though. Using the buy 4 get 5th night free on points certainly makes it more attractive as well.