• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying due diligence

sennyjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi -

I have never bought a timeshare and am considering purchasing at a resort close to home that I would enjoy visiting each fall. I would use this every year, even if just for a long weekend.

I asked the resort for information about its reserves and history of special assessments, as well as for minutes from the most recent owner meetings. I’d like to know what I’m signing up for, and what the known issues are so I can make a decision as to if I want to accept the known issues or not.

I was flatly denied this ‘confidential’ information which is quite off putting. I’ve owned a few condos and these documents were readily provided - is this refusing to ‘open the kimono’ standard for timeshares? It’s setting off alarm bells (what are they hiding) and I’m wondering if I should run the other way.

Also, what’s the best way to find sales price for weeks that have sold recently? I checked the TUGs website and it links listed about 4 sales in the last few years.

What other questions about I be askin?

thank you

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Check eBay for completed sales.

jw0

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe try searching for your resort on the tug website. You may be able to contact owners at the resort in question and ask them the questions you had (reserves, special assessments, etc.)

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
You could ask some questions which might be answered by a helpful owner of the resort of interest.

R1964

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Holiday Club
You can check redweek for sales also.

rainbows1957

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a lot of info here on TUG if you have the time to read. I learned the hard way on the first two timeshares I bought. They were money pits with high maintenance fees and/or special assessments and/or no updates to the units. I believe there must have been money being stolen from the maintenance fees on one because we didn't even have decent towels and sheets really. I got rid of those timeshares. My third timeshare is wonderful and the board keeps the yearly maintenance fee extremely reasonable. Every year there are updates--they know how to budget and buy replacements smartly. I checked it out before I bought the third timeshare by asking here on TUG for the "real story" about the history and stability from actual owners. My timeshares have also been in driving distance and I used them every year like you plan to. I learned the hard way that trading on RCI is expensive and that is a whole separate area to learn about if you have that in mind.

rainbows1957

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
One more comment--visit the actual timeshare rather than selecting it blind...rent a week if possible and stay there.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Is it possible to tell us the name of the timeshare? We might know of it?