• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying at Grande Vista - Booking a week

Trax58

TUG Member
Reaction score
As part of our research in preparation to buy our first timeshare, my wife and I joined TUG a few weeks ago.

We've narrowed down to a couple of resorts, but the leader right now is Marriott's Grande Vista. Discussing a 2 bdrm Platinum week for around $10,000.

Two questions
1) based on Marriott's 12 month booking policy and the popularity of the GV, am I going to be able to book a week at our new "home" resort next year? We'd like to use it in Feb (assuming the close/transfer is finished by then!). We like the Grande Vista, but the inflexibility of Marriott appears to be a major dis-satisfier (based on the board). Appreciate any insight/guidance.

2) Given the current economic state, is $10000 a reasonable price?

Early days, but we are delighted we joined TUG!!

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Based on Marriott's 12 month booking policy and the popularity of the GV, am I going to be able to book a week at our new "home" resort next year?
Yes, you'll be able to book a week for next year, but quite likely not in February. The closing process might well take two months or so and, based on current reports, it can easily take another two months or so for Marriott to recognize your ownership. Best bet if you decide to do this is to make your purchase conditional on the current owner making an acceptable reservation for you. It's easy to later transfer the reservation to you. The owner merely adds your name to the reservation when the sale closes.
We like the Grande Vista, but the inflexibility of Marriott appears to be a major dis-satisfier (based on the board). Appreciate any insight/guidance.
There are naysayers for any product or service. However, I think you'll find that the overwhelming majority of Marriott owners who post here are happy with their ownership. See, for example, the "How happy are you with your Marriott ownership?" poll at the top of the list of topics for this forum.
Given the current economic state, is $10000 a reasonable price?
It's not a terrible price, but you can do better. As an example, there is a 2BR Platinum week for sale on Redweek with an asking price of just under $10,000. And, especially these days, asking prices are almost always negotiable.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You should be able to get a MGV week off of EBay for a great price. Likely below the $10K. There are always many MGV weeks that go through EBay and there are several on there now. 2 and 3BR gold and platinum.

Getting booked with a reservation for February may be tough. Marriott is taking a long time to trasnfer ownership. With the time to find a week and go through closing and adding on Marriott's time, it may push you very close to when you want to go in February. I wouldn't expect to get that reservation or you may be dissapointed.

Last edited:

rach

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too have been doing some research on Florida Marriotts in general and Grande Vista in particular. Obviously, you can always try to negotiate but $10,000 for an annual platinum unit is around the lowest I have been seeing (and the high end being $13,000). As far as booking February it may be difficult (especially around the President's Weekend break many schools give) but perhaps you could arrange with the seller to book the week you want now and then pay to have the week transferred into your name assuming you are able to close and transfer ownership by then. I saw that info in my research so maybe someone else who has purchased/sold a Marriott can confirm this.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
...but perhaps you could arrange with the seller to book the week you want now and then pay to have the week transferred into your name assuming you are able to close and transfer ownership by then.
Although it costs to have a week deposited with II transferred to a new owner, there is no cost to transfer a week reserved with Marriott to the new owner. The easiest way to handle this, as I suggested above, is for the old owner to add the new owner's name to the reservation at closing. Also, the old owner should give the new owner the reservation number, which allows the new owner to add his/her Marriott Rewards # to the reservation at Marriott.com

ngmaui

TUG Member
Reaction score
Recent Grande Vista Resale Prices

Here is a list of recent ebay auction ending prices for Grande Vista. We just returned from GV where we had an excellant week in a 3 Bedroom unit using our Maui unit to trade through II. Love the property and location and the 3 Bedrooms are HUGE. I hope this info helps you out...

Grande Vista
# Beds Season Usage Sold Date Price
2 Platinum Annual 9/15/2008 $8,207.00
3 Gold Annual 9/11/2008 $6,476.00
2 Platinum Annual 9/10/2008 $8,000.00
2 Gold Annual 8/25/2008 $4,050.00
3 Platinum Annual 8/20/2008 $12,300.07
2 Platinum Bi-Annual 8/15/2008 $9,500.00
2 Platinum Annual 8/12/2008 $8,555.00

Where Gold is weeks 18-21, 35-50 and Platinum is weeks 1-17, 22-34, 51-52

Trax58

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many thanks to all who replied. This info (and the PM's) have been most helpful. Already flagged another oppty at a much better price and will watch eBay.

Looks like TUG was a GREAT Investment for us! Look forward to contributing back.