• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

buying appliances, appliance store or lowes, home depot

Joyce

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where is the best place to buy them?Yup, you guessed it, new counters followed by all new appliances. 20 years ago it started with a new kitchen table, then everything had to go because it did not match!!! Sound familiar?

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've bought them, one at a time, at P.C. Richards and at Sears and at Sears Outlets, and one dishwasher at Home Depot. I've had okay experiences with all of them.

If I were redoing a whole kitchen, I would buy from a local appliance store that has a good reputation for standing behind what they sell.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I were redoing a whole kitchen, I would buy from a local appliance store that has a good reputation for standing behind what they sell.

My local TrueValue Hardware store is the OLDEST GE dealer in my area.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have friends/neighbors who've had good experience, ask them. Or ask about those sellers who have a service dept. The big box home centers don't. Sometimes the best deal is not necessarily the lowest price.

Buying from home centers can mean doing some setup, or adjustments for yourself. If you are OK with some do-it-yourself, they can save money, but are not full service.

The above said, where we live, Sears has a wide selection, competitive pricing, independent installers, and a service department.

Jim

p.s. there have been TUG threads over the years about less than stellar performance of GE appliances.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
If you need countertop stove and wall ovens, you cannot get those just anywhere. Best Buy has a great selection, and so do the two home improvement biggies. If you just want a regular stove/oven combo, even Costco has some appliance packages worth looking into. I would buy Costco anytime over the others. I am stuck with countertop stove and wall oven, so I cannot use Costco next time.

My appliances are about 16 years old. I am dying to get new ones, but they all work, so why bother? Some are scratched, don't know how that happens.

Joyce

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought about specialty stores too but I researched one of the best in the area and their reputation is not good anymore. Sees like the good old days are really gone. Service is not like it used to be. As for Sears, the one in our area has the worse reputation of them all. It all depends on the store manager.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Costco unfortunately does not bring the appliance into the house and install it, at least in my area. They just bring it to your door or driveway. That's why I have never bought any appliances from them--I don't want to have to hire movers to carry the appliance the last few feet into the house, then installers to hook it up!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I actually checked everywhere and I ended up buying through Sears of all places as they had the best prices and the actual appliances I wanted as recommended by Consumer Reports. In fact, they actually post the consumer report rating info. for each of the appliances on their website.

For our kitchen remodel, I bought a Kenmore fridge and a GE slide in range and microware and a Bosch dishwasher- all on-line. Fast delivery. Everything was perfect. And they took the old appliances away.

Last edited:

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
When remodeling a few years ago, I found two very reputable, independently owned appliance stores where service still matters. My washer broke mid-cycle while washing a heavy load of towels, of course! I called both Lowes and my independently owned appliance store and guess who came through for me? I had my washer delivered and installed by noon after speaking with the owner at 10:00 a.m. These places still exist but you have to look for them.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I buy Home Depot for appliances and use the 12 months 0% financing, pay it off in 11 months. I recently purchased Samsung on sale and really like the quality, the dishwasher is very quiet. I paid about $2200 all in with install and haul off of the old, that includes all the hookup tubes and tax.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have a local store where customer satisfaction still matters, AND their pricing is reasonable, then that's the way to go. If not, I'd buy online as it's considerably cheaper, IME. At least check out AJ Madison online if you want a good reference for reasonable pricing.

FWIW, the last appliances I purchased were a dishwasher from Sears locally, and a fairly high end gas range and microwave from AJ Madison online. Installed all of them myself, so that aspect wasn't a consideration.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I determine which make and model I want then start pricing. I then look to see who has what on sale and see if I like the models. Price is what determines where I buy.

8 yrs ago it was Sears for a dishwasher and more recently Lowe's for fridge and washer and dryer. With the fridge and washer, they brought it in and hooked it up. With the dishwasher I picked it up and installed. The gas dryer was brought in and I installed it.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that our local RC Willey claims they will meet or beat any advertised local price, including the big box stores and Sears. They offer delivery and installation. Not sure if they have stores in the OP's area.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
While you might pay a bit more...the generous costco return policy might make it the ideal place to buy these...just keep the receipt...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I buy Home Depot for appliances and use the 12 months 0% financing, pay it off in 11 months. I recently purchased Samsung on sale and really like the quality, the dishwasher is very quiet. I paid about $2200 all in with install and haul off of the old, that includes all the hookup tubes and tax.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

Ditto with the above comments. Also, in our area Home Depot, Lowes, and Best Buy does price match on the same item in stock.

Please shop around and compare.

PGtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waterside by Spinnaker,
Cottages at Shipyard
The last appliance I bought was to replace the ancient fridge in the garage. I shopped Lowes, Home Depot and Best Buy. Lowes and Best Buy had the same price on the one I wanted but BB had a delivery fee and Lowes did not. In fact, Lowes removed the old fridge too. Saved me a trip to the dump, plus the dump fee.

Make sure you ask about delivery and removal of old, if it is a replacement.

As far as the independent stores, most in my area only carried the middle and higher end appliances, and was not what I wanted to spend on the garage fridge...

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have bought almost all of our appliances in Sears. AC - PC Richards. I know many buy them from Home Depot, Lowes and Best Buy too. We look but always end up with Sears.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I use local appliance stores. We're fortunate to have two in the area that have good selections, reasonable prices, and they stand behind their products. It costs a few dollars more but the peace of mind, knowing that any service will be quick and correct, is well worth it.

Appliances and Apple are generally the only products for which we'll buy the extended warranties. We've more than made up the cost during the last ten years or so.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I remodeled my kitchen a few years ago. I did all the shopping comparison, found the product I wanted, and then shopped price. Local stores in three counties were all within a few dollars of each other, plus sales taxes, so I decided to explore whether I could get what I wanted online, instead.

I found a brick and mortar store in Missouri that sells far below retail, does not charge sales tax, and ships nationally. I was able to get exactly what I wanted, and I saved a LOT on price. I think I saved something along the lines of $1800 plus tax, compared to the best price I could find locally. This was on name-brand kitchen appliances.

By creatively surfing for an online coupon, I also was able to have the entire order (four appliances) shipped to my home for $10 freight. Products were delivered to my home by a commercial carrier. Even if you had to hire someone to move things the last few feet, you'd be money ahead. I'd buy from these folks again.

http://www.goedekers.com/appliances.html?gclid=CPW6x9yHy8oCFZBcfgodxvkL6g&utm_source=cro

Dave

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Another thing I will suggest- when you add appliances to your cart- call customer service and haggle the prices. This worked for me with Sears, even though they had the best prices they came down even further when I called to haggle. They will complete the purchase transaction them over the phone.

Last edited:

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
I've always bought from Sears in the past, but the local appliance store has now firmly won my business. Sears outsources installation and they add about 3 different fees onto each purchase. You then get to deal with somebody else to come install and haul away the old. If something goes wrong, it's somebody else to deal with. The people who install seem to be more interested in getting it done fast rather than right. I've since learned that they installed the cooktop with a too small conduit (which means there are bare wires showing). They should have at least told me I needed an electrician, but I found out about it from the guy who redid my countertops. Then the micro never worked right and it took 3 different trips before they had the correct parts.
With the local store, the price included everything including installing and hauling away. They have their own drivers and installers who really know what they are doing. If something goes wrong, it's an easy call to get it fixed. My washer died and my mother wanted a new one so they hauled her washer to my place, installed and removed the old one for $100 plus her new purchase. They also replaced my refrigerator and when the water line broke on the old one, they knew exactly what to do before to get it fixed quickly. No muss, no fuss and in the end, it was about the same as the Sears 30%+ off sales.

Sue

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Wow. That is crazy.

My appliances from Sears were installed by my contractor during my kitchen remodel. Sears delivered and they hauled out my old ones. I know for appliance repairs, Sears sends out local guys because when our GE dryer needed repairs recently the guy they sent was actually from my hometown.

Last edited:

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
I usually buy mine from Lowes. Never had a problem with them installing whatever I've bought. Plus, they remove the old appliances.

Being retired military I get a 10% discount and if one shops wisely they can get another 10% off by buying gift cards from someplace like raise.com

As far as service goes, in most cases warranty work is warranty work. I don't worry about where it came from but who the manufacturer is. Because of my age and medical condition we maintain a homeowners warranty policy on our house now that includes repairs that are out of warranty for $75 per instance. All of our appliances are covered under it.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Call me old school, but I buy all of our appliances from a local, family-owned appliance store. They need (and deserve) my business more than any of the "Big Box" places, many of which apparently think that the word "service" only refers to an electrical panel in a house or building. :rolleyes:

Supporting small, local business is more important to me than saving a handful of pocket change in a purchase. YMMV. :shrug:

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Our builder worked with Sears Commercial. They have a small office in the corner of the Sears appliance showroom. We had to make an appointment with them to pick our appliances. We got a builder's discount which was in addition to any sale prices. The builder coordinated delivery and installation at the appropriate times during the remodel.