• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying A Timeshare Foreclosure

Ourhouse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jockey Club, Las Vegas
Island Links, Hilton Head
Does anyone have info on buying a timeshare in foreclosure?
What should we look for?
Horror stories?
I noticed a foreclosure listing that included maintenance fees, foreclosure expense and past due maintenance fees. Some units are great units in great location with foreclosure due of $1500.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why would you buy a foreclosure with extra fees and arrears due when there are so many TSs available free, or for low cost that are paid for and current? Some even have a year or two of use included for the new owner.

Jim

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to echo Jim's post. There are many very cheap and even free timeshares available. There is no reason to deal with the headache of a foreclosure. Some people will even pay you to take their timeshare.

Ourhouse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jockey Club, Las Vegas
I understand what your saying and that is how I acquired one of our units, for free through TUG.

And as for some of the reasons why I would be interested in buying a foreclosure:
  1. The resort rarely has units available for free or low cost in TUG
  2. I am familiar with the resort
  3. The unit is in a premier location within the resort

Now once again, has anyone bought a timeshare from a foreclosure and if so, what was your experience?

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Why would you buy a foreclosure with extra fees and arrears due when there are so many TSs available free, or for low cost that are paid for and current? Some even have a year or two of use included for the new owner.

Jim

I have to echo Jim's post. There are many very cheap and even free timeshares available. There is no reason to deal with the headache of a foreclosure. Some people will even pay you to take their timeshare.

Because "Some units are great units in great location"

Gophesjo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Who would you be buying the unit from? I assume the answer is from the HOA. Either the unit has already been foreclosed which is when you would be buying from the HOA, or it is has not and you would be buying it from the current owner. Either seller could be seeking recovery of (or payment of in the event the current owner is the seller) foreclosure costs, but the answer to your question is another, do you trust the HOA to get clear title transferred into your name, or do you trust the current seller to get clear tile transferred into your name?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Beware of buying a foreclosure from anyone except the developer. I once bought one in ebay (inadvertently) and after the sale was complete, the resort refused to transfer it to me.

Fortunately, the closing company worked with me and reversed the whole process and refunded my money.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are real foreclosure auctions for timeshares. This is the only time it is a true foreclosure purchase. If it is a pre or post foreclosure purchase then I agree with the others. Caveat Emptor. Know who the seller is and whether they have the legal right to sell, including the HOA recognition of the transfer as well as any other liens or encumbrances. Make sure any past due fees are going to the resort and not someone's pocket.

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
??????? Your point.

They asked why you'd buy at that price when you can get TSs cheap so I pointed out that it was in your original post

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Who would you be buying the unit from? I assume the answer is from the HOA. Either the unit has already been foreclosed which is when you would be buying from the HOA, or it is has not and you would be buying it from the current owner. Either seller could be seeking recovery of (or payment of in the event the current owner is the seller) foreclosure costs, but the answer to your question is another, do you trust the HOA to get clear title transferred into your name, or do you trust the current seller to get clear tile transferred into your name?

It's not always the HOA doing the foreclosing. When you find a lender to give you funds for a TS and don't pay them, they foreclose. I've seen this where I own and the resort works with the company to get these in the hands of willing buyers.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does anyone have info on buying a timeshare in foreclosure?
What should we look for?
Horror stories?
I noticed a foreclosure listing that included maintenance fees, foreclosure expense and past due maintenance fees. Some units are great units in great location with foreclosure due of $1500.

Are you looking at the Jockey Club? If so you might find this interesting. If not it still serves as a warning about buying or trying to buy TS foreclosures.

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2000/jan/26/jockey-club-developer-owners-association-in-legal-/

I know it's a very old article but it still shows the mess that could be below the surface at any resort.

Last edited:

Ourhouse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jockey Club, Las Vegas
Are you looking at the Jockey Club? If so you might find this interesting. If not it still serves as a warning about buying or trying to buy TS foreclosures.

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2000/jan/26/jockey-club-developer-owners-association-in-legal-/

I know it's a very old article but it still shows the mess that could be below the surface at any resort.

I saw this and then found a follow-up 2 years later where Jockey Club had to pay close to $500k to settle. That took place back in late 2002.

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2002/mar/19/polo-towers-owners-win-suit/

Since this took place some time ago, I think it is long past settled. The JC looks like it is now well maintained and upgraded.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I think the key is this: post what resort/deal you're considering. You'll get qualified replies on the value of the deal.

If the deal is 'so amazing' you fear tipping others to the deal.....then you really need to think twice before leaping. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Good luck

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Are you looking for a reason not to do this? I can give you a few. If the resort has foreclosures it it probably due to owners not paying Maintenence fees. You would do better to check resales. jMHO
Silentg

Ourhouse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jockey Club, Las Vegas
It has been over a year since our original post and I wanted to update everyone on our experience. We own a Jockey Club, Las Vegas, 1 bedroom, 4th floor, Bellagio fountains view unit we got for FREE through TUG Bargains late 2015. It cost us $125? in recording fees to get from previous owner. We used it on our week 7, 2016.

While we were there, the resort had a foreclosure listing taped to the door on their Hospitality Center door. It listed about 25 weeks and various units going up for sale in a foreclosure sale the week we were there in 2016. After much review and research on the units being sold, I posted the original question about "Does anyone have info on buying a timeshare in foreclosure?".

I was apprehensive on buying a foreclosure and any residual fees I may be taking on. Although the response from this post was not positive and for the most part, said I should stay away, I moved ahead and bought a unit in the auction.

The auction was conducted by TriCom, the management company that runs The Jockey Club. Several bidders were there but few were bidding on the same units. Most units were sold from a single bid with the purchase price being the starting bid price. The starting bid price ended up being the 2 previous years maintenance fees in arrears plus a few hundred dollars in transfer/recording/service fees. With the payment, you were awarded 2 banked weeks from the previous years maintenance fees.

That being said, we ended up purchasing a gem! We now own a 10th floor, 2 bedroom, back of the property, beautiful (best) view onto the Bellagio Fountains, Paris, and the whole strip. Looking down past Caesars, Flamingo, Trump, Venetian, etc. Simply gorgeous view!! All for a whooping $1600! With 2 weeks in the bank of a 2 bedroom, red, holiday week that we can exchange most anywhere!

We just returned from our week 7, owners unit visit to The Jockey Club! We could not be happier! Just goes to show you, do what YOU think is right for you and most times, it works out fine. Caution is warranted but research is key.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a post foreclosure auction handled by the management company after either the management company or the HOA purchased the units from the true foreclosure auction.

It's common for properties to post a list of "foreclosures" for sale but they were already foreclosed and purchased. Usually they try and sell them at high prices as they have buyers. The Jokey club likely can't keep up and would prefer to sell them as fast as possible.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Happy for you! Sounds wonderful!