• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buy Resale WKORV vs WKORVN

dave1979

Reaction score
Hi,
Thank you for this amazing forum, I am looking for a first time purchase of a 2 bedroom week in a mandatory resort to take advantage of the VSN exchange. I live in LA and we often vacation in Hawaii so either the WKORV or WKORVN make the most sense for us. I ruled out buying Kierland high season and exchange taking advantage of lower MF because vacationing in Scottsdale with my kids is not an option at the moment and I like the certainty of Hawaii vacations by default. Done with the context and off with the questions:
  • Would appreciate any link to a thread if this has already been answered, I could not find one. Otherwise, I also dearly value individual views here.
  • Purchase price at both resorts look similar but maintenance at WKORVN ($3300) seems higher than WKORV ($2800). I like the idea to keep $500 in my pocket every year, especially since all guests can enjoy all of both towers and Nanea as well
  • 2 bedroom at WKORV is bigger (1400sf) than at WKORVN (1230sf) (source - https://tugbbs.com/forums/attachments/vistana-villas-size-by-resort-pdf.10220/)
  • IV ($13k)/OV ($18k)/OF ($30k) - I am leaning towards the OV because $30k is too high for me for a first time purchase. Any advice here?
  • Other properties I am likely to exchange are below, are they relatively OK to get for Week 3-4 (last week of January) when looking 8 months in advance?
    • Sheraton Kaua‘i Resort Villas, Kaua‘i, Hawai‘i
    • The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort, Cancún
    • The Westin St. John Resort Villas
    • Harborside Resort At Atlantis
  • Day of arrival departure - What are the rules at these resorts? Could I arrive any day when buying a week resale or is it restricted? Same question for other resorts when using Staroptions. The Staroption chart specifies a value for Friday arrival, I am not sure if other days or more expensive, not possible etc...
Thanks a lot for all the wisdom here.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
Hi,
Thank you for this amazing forum, I am looking for a first time purchase of a 2 bedroom week in a mandatory resort to take advantage of the VSN exchange. I live in LA and we often vacation in Hawaii so either the WKORV or WKORVN make the most sense for us. I ruled out buying Kierland high season and exchange taking advantage of lower MF because vacationing in Scottsdale with my kids is not an option at the moment and I like the certainty of Hawaii vacations by default. Done with the context and off with the questions:
  • Would appreciate any link to a thread if this has already been answered, I could not find one. Otherwise, I also dearly value individual views here.
  • Purchase price at both resorts look similar but maintenance at WKORVN ($3300) seems higher than WKORV ($2800). I like the idea to keep $500 in my pocket every year, especially since all guests can enjoy all of both towers and Nanea as well
There are differences in layouts and North is a few years newer than South, but it don't think that matters as both properties are kept in great shape generally. I own at both and actually prefer WKORV (South).
There are many OF owners here who rave about their views and wouldn't stay in a mere OV unit. I have owned OV for almost 20 years and have never been unhappy with the view. To be honest, although I enjoy the view from the room, if I want to see the ocean front and center, all I need to do is walk outside. I think OF is nice to have, but I wouldn't personally spend thousands extra for it – and I didn't. I bought OF and am quite happy with it. Plus, you'll be closer to the elevators. OF is way at the end of a long hallway (unless there are elevators down there that I don't know about.)
  • Other properties I am likely to exchange are below, are they relatively OK to get for Week 3-4 (last week of January) when looking 8 months in advance?
    • Sheraton Kaua‘i Resort Villas, Kaua‘i, Hawai‘i
    • The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort, Cancún
    • The Westin St. John Resort Villas
    • Harborside Resort At Atlantis
I think you would probably be able to get all but St. John pretty easily at 8 months for late January, at least based on past history. St. John is harder to get into and often requires some persistence, but I've managed to get reservations both times I've tried over the years. But I wouldn't guarantee you success every time there.

The wild card here is Abound – we don't really yet know whether availability with VSN is going to be adversely impacted by Abound. It's possible that reservations that have been easy to get in the past won't be so easy to get. I don't think anyone knows for sure yet. In theory it should be fine, but we don't know how MVC is manipulating the inventory.
  • Day of arrival departure - What are the rules at these resorts? Could I arrive any day when buying a week resale or is it restricted? Same question for other resorts when using Staroptions. The Staroption chart specifies a value for Friday arrival, I am not sure if other days or more expensive, not possible etc...,
For home resort reservations in Maui, I think arrival dates are Fri/Sat/Sun. With StarOption reservations you can arrive any day I think, though it may be easier to find availability for weekend arrivals.
Thanks a lot for all the wisdom here.
Hope that helps!

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
The North maintenance fees are a little higher, but not $500 higher. The difference in reported maintenance fees comes from inclusion / exclusion of VSN fee or Abound club dues. 2023 fees for the North were $3,044.89. If it's your first Vistana timeshare, you will also pay annual VSN fee of $170.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
In my opinion, Island View and Ocean View are better at the North, while Oceanfront is better at the South.
+1

Do not buy IV at South; many of the units look out at a parking lot.

If you haven't stayed at either property, I suggest renting first (this "research" is not painful). Walk the properties night and day to ascertain what views you will accept.

TAT

Reaction score
Make sure to shop around and take your time. I found OV annual in the south building for 13K about 18 months ago. It’s my first ownership, but I owe all to this forum. I’m very happy with it. I’d also just go with the OV instead of OF. When I was shopping I couldn’t find OF for under 25K. I prefer the south because of the pool, but would have purchased either one as long as the price was right.

I can’t answer the exchange question. I can confirm that Fri/Sat/Sun are the only check-in days for the home ownership. If you arrive Sunday, you get the last/least of the view options according to the desk when I asked why mine wasn’t that great… still the best, view or not!

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
If you haven't stayed at either property, I suggest renting first (this "research" is not painful). Walk the properties night and day to ascertain what views you will accept.
It's still a lot of money even if one view category is more or less money than another. I completely agree to stay at each of the different properties before investing. You really need to go there and see for yourself. I'd always been a Marriott Maui Ocean Club kind of gal until I got a COVID II trade, one week at WKORV and one week at WKORVN. I think each property has something unique, definitely I got a different vibe at each. Westin sales people were pushing the North, but I fell in love with the South. We went all in on a WKORV OFD resale week (should have got two) and are very happy owners, well except for the system issues...counting down 4 weeks until we're there again.

Mulege

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV
WMH
WLM
WKORV An issue I face sometimes is I get the parking lot view in bldg 4 and they call it ocean view. Yes, I can see the ocean but is that a way to treat an owner. My deed says Premium Ocean View. I have to go round and round with management to get moved to bldg 2 or 3.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
WKORV An issue I face sometimes is I get the parking lot view in bldg 4 and they call it ocean view. Yes, I can see the ocean but is that a way to treat an owner. My deed says Premium Ocean View. I have to go round and round with management to get moved to bldg 2 or 3.
You could try making your reservation earlier as I'm guessing those get assigned to the later ones. As far as I know the maps/views were fully explained at the time of purchase and if all OV units are assigned to owners then someone is going to end up in a Building 4 villa. However, having said that I don't recall Building 8 being on the maps we were shown when we bought IV at WKORVN pre-construction. Maybe I should ask them to move it? :giggle:

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at both properties: OV at South, IV at North. I'm pondering getting another week or two resale, if the right opportunity comes along. I want to buy buy OV at South because of the lower maintenance fees and better rental income compared to IV at North.

However, I'm going 4 weeks starting next Saturday, and I prefer to stay at certain IV units in the North property. I like both properties and would be happy at either one, though. I'm much like daviator when it comes to the views. My wife and I are mostly outside and enjoy the views from the beach more than being in the room. I would rather buy and use two OV weeks at South than one OFD. Of course it is all personal preference, and many are big on having an OF unit. The views at OF South are nicer.

It also makes a difference to me whether I'm going for a single week, or staying a longer period. For my first one week visit, I'd like OF South better. Now that I've been going since the resort opened and stay multiple weeks, I prefer being able to get in and out the back of a first floor unit at North more.

When it comes to OF, I agree with everyone that OF South is better than OF North. Same for IV. OV depends on the specific room you are assigned.

I find North a calmer property. The two properties indeed have different vibes that appeal to different people. We rarely use the pool, but I like the slide at the South property better for children, and the adult pool at North for an occasional dip. I prefer the view at the pool bar at North better.

I haven't found it all that difficult to make Staroption reservations at either property when I've been on the ball exactly 8 months out, even in popular months.

In short, both properties can be a nice buy if you find the right deal.

dave1979

Reaction score
Make sure to shop around and take your time. I found OV annual in the south building for 13K about 18 months ago. It’s my first ownership, but I owe all to this forum. I’m very happy with it. I’d also just go with the OV instead of OF. When I was shopping I couldn’t find OF for under 25K. I prefer the south because of the pool, but would have purchased either one as long as the price was right.

I can’t answer the exchange question. I can confirm that Fri/Sat/Sun are the only check-in days for the home ownership. If you arrive Sunday, you get the last/least of the view options according to the desk when I asked why mine wasn’t that great… still the best, view or not!
Hi.
I appreciate the advice. Any recommendations on where to shop? I was mostly looking at Redweek.
Thanks.

TAT

Reaction score
Hi.
I appreciate the advice. Any recommendations on where to shop? I was mostly looking at Redweek.
Thanks.
I started with the list in this post: https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/frequently-mentioned-timeshare-resale-and-rental-websites.17673/

I found a timeshare on one of the listed sites and looked up the agent, then went to the agent’s website which was Fidelity Real Estate where I found many more listings including the one I purchased. I still have the “new listing” notification on in EBay cause I like seeing the prices of new listings for the fun of it.

advantagevacation.com is also a awesome and trusted agent with tons of information on resales and great listings.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
You could try making your reservation earlier as I'm guessing those get assigned to the later ones. As far as I know the maps/views were fully explained at the time of purchase and if all OV units are assigned to owners then someone is going to end up in a Building 4 villa. However, having said that I don't recall Building 8 being on the maps we were shown when we bought IV at WKORVN pre-construction. Maybe I should ask them to move it? :giggle:

While you’re at it ask for the lazy river they promised, as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
While you’re at it ask for the lazy river they promised, as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think it's there, it's the little bit between the volleyball area and the waterfall into the lower pool :)

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Do you book right at a year out, midnight?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
The entire beachwalk was the lazy river yesterday,:cool:
So there was a lot of rain, apparently? I knew there were floods in other parts of Maui.

We go on 2/13, staying for six weeks. Hoping for much better weather for whale watching.

sjlola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN OF EYx5, 5* Elite
Hi.
Thanks.
As another poster said, Syed Sarmad at Advantage Vacation has an excellent reputation on TUG. Lots of good info/videos on his website. He’s located at the Lahaina Cannery Mall, where the Safeway and Long’s are.

Erik the Grey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kāʻanapali Ocean Resort Villas North (WKORVN)
As a new owner via Syed Resale, I agree 100%. Resale is the only way to go. WKORVN annual for $17k while Abound with the developer would have been $103k. Savings of 84% in purchase and 40% in recurring maintenance fees. Check rofr.net . It is handy in making an offer for any resale.

Mulege

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV
WMH
WLM
At Lagunamar 8 month out for January you will most likely have studio availability only. As an owner that us my experience.

dave1979

Reaction score
As a new owner via Syed Resale, I agree 100%. Resale is the only way to go. WKORVN annual for $17k while Abound with the developer would have been $103k. Savings of 84% in purchase and 40% in recurring maintenance fees. Check rofr.net . It is handy in making an offer for any resale.
How does buying resale save on maintenance fees? Buying weeks vs points?

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
We bought north Oceanfront as we split kickoff and stay 2 weeks and we like having a balcony in the studio. The south oceanfronts have balcony also but not the other views.