• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buy Resale and Retire F/T in Timeshares - Anyone do that yet?

CanadaGuyEh

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacation - 2 platinums, Wyndham - 1 week, WorldMark 2 weeks
I read how people retire and live on cruise ships f/t - $150 USD a day roughly so does cost a few bucks.

I own Hilton, Wyndham, and Worldmark timeshares - all bought resale - gets me around 2 months a year in a Studio.

So I did the math if bought enough Hilton points to stay 12 months a year - in non prime season but still gold seasons - Orlando in November and Vegas in July - Mexico and Honolulu sometimes - so like that.

Worked out to $70,000 USD to buy the points and roughly $1,100 USD a month in dues. So not bad eh. Get to live in hotel full time - includes all your bills - internet, electric, heat, prop tax etc etc etc.

Of course now that I see Hilton might get bought out (which I never even thought about it when I bought them) this is a bit of gamble.

Wondering though if anyone is doing this.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Worked out to $70,000 USD to buy the points and roughly $1,100 USD a month in dues. So not bad eh. Get to live in hotel full time - includes all your bills - internet, electric, heat, prop tax etc etc etc.
I would be interested to see the math on that. Where are you finding weeks with a MF of only about $300 a week?

CanadaGuyEh

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would be interested to see the math on that. Where are you finding weeks with a MF of only about $300 a week?
I do have to fix the post - is a studio - not 1 bedroom. My Platinum Hilton - bought in Vegas so is $1,000 a year - gets me 4 weeks in a Studio in Gold Season. Here is the math -

Jan 1 to 4 Mexico 6400

feb 5 to 8 Mexico 6400

mar 9 to 12 Mexico 7000

apr 13 to 16 Mexico 7000

may 17 to 21 Mexico 4900

jun 22 to 25 Vegas 6400

july 26 to 29 Vegas 6400

aug 30 to 34 Vegas 6400

sep 35 to 39 Vegas 7600

oct 40 to 43 Hawaii 7600 28000 83700

nov 44 to 47 Hawaii 8800

dec 48 to 52 Mexico 8800

83700 points - cost per points m/f 0.143 total is $11,969.1 a year

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I understand there is someone that lives full time at Newport Coast Marriott, owns enough weeks there.

I know of three units at Bay Club, Waikoloa, HI that are privately owned outright. They pay an HOA fee and enjoy all the resort amenities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
There are two TUG couples living full time in TS. They do a lot of RCI Last Calls.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Last edited:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
deleted

Last edited:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I do have to fix the post - is a studio - not 1 bedroom. My Platinum Hilton - bought in Vegas so is $1,000 a year - gets me 4 weeks in a Studio in Gold Season. Here is the math -

Jan 1 to 4 Mexico 6400

feb 5 to 8 Mexico 6400

mar 9 to 12 Mexico 7000

apr 13 to 16 Mexico 7000

may 17 to 21 Mexico 4900

jun 22 to 25 Vegas 6400

july 26 to 29 Vegas 6400

aug 30 to 34 Vegas 6400

sep 35 to 39 Vegas 7600

oct 40 to 43 Hawaii 7600 28000 83700

nov 44 to 47 Hawaii 8800

dec 48 to 52 Mexico 8800

83700 points - cost per points m/f 0.143 total is $11,969.1 a year

One tug couple has lived full-time in TS, but they travel across the nation. Their MF or RCI Last Minute Calls costs about $15k annually. https://www.fulltimetimeshare.com/costs/

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba, Harborside Atlantis & Westin Lagunamar
Very cool!

kwelty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club II
Samoset Rockport, ME
Harbor Ridge MDI ME
Tree Tops Gatlinburg

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our first year in retirement, we were at home for less than six weeks. We used our own timeshares to spend a few months in Hawaii, a month in our Cabo timeshare, and took advantage of Last Minute Deals, Platinum Escapes, Accommodations Certificates, Getaways, etc., to fill in the weeks between. We had a blast! What's not to love about staying in nice resorts for sometimes less than $100/wk while exploring new places in the US, Canada, and Mexico? We were able to cobble together 2-3 weeks in the same unit (we tried to stick to 1BR's and larger, with kitchen and laundry in unit) in some wonderful places. I don't think we could ever have done this without timeshares, and lots of sightings and tips from Tuggers!

I will say, it takes a lot of flexibility, and it helps to have a great travel companion like my DH!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I have seen discussions in the Wyndham Forum / last one I recall was 1-2 years ago .
Concept was to buy resale Wyndham contracts with a low MF / points ratio ( Canterbury , National Harbor etc)- and then use in quiet season / low point times. at lower point required Wyndham locations .

Branson & Myrtle Beach (Nov - April - 6 months ) would work for Canadians and others trying to avoid "real winter"

Figuring out all 12 months at a low cost is more complex .

Last edited:

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
We aren't full time but we do a pretty good job of filling the year with timeshare. I reviewed our 2019 calendar and see we will have spent only 141 nights at home in Sacramento. That leaves 7+ months on the road. Approximately 90 percent of that time is timeshare with a few hotel stays here and there (preferably using hotel points).

Of course, we don't get the benefit of FT timesharing which means no cost of maintaining a home base. But - we get a lot of great travel.

CanadaGuyEh

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have seen discussions in the Wyndham Forum / last one I recall was 1-2 years ago .
Concept was to buy resale Wyndham contracts with a low MF / points ratio ( Canterbury , National Harbor etc)- and then use in
quiet season / low point times. at lower point required Wyndham locations .

Branson & Myrtle Beach (Nov - April - 6 months ) would work for Canadians and others trying to avoid "real winter"

Figuring out all 12 months at a low cost is more complex .
Yes - am CDN so that is why I had Mexico the other 6 months as only allowed 6 months in USA.

CanadaGuyEh

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Our first year in retirement, we were at home for less than six weeks. We used our own timeshares to spend a few months in Hawaii, a month in our Cabo timeshare, and took advantage of Last Minute Deals, Platinum Escapes, Accommodations Certificates, Getaways, etc., to fill in the weeks between. We had a blast! What's not to love about staying in nice resorts for sometimes less than $100/wk while exploring new places in the US, Canada, and Mexico? We were able to cobble together 2-3 weeks in the same unit (we tried to stick to 1BR's and larger, with kitchen and laundry in unit) in some wonderful places. I don't think we could ever have done this without timeshares, and lots of sightings and tips from Tuggers!

I will say, it takes a lot of flexibility, and it helps to have a great travel companion like my DH!
That is great! Yes - would book while still there - is limits lots of times on how long can book 1 room for.

CanadaGuyEh

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

CanadaGuyEh

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think living in a studio full time would get old pretty fast. YMMV, but that wouldn't suit me.
True - 1 bedroom is better but I do find I am in the bedroom the most as long as has the TV. Laundry etc though is a bonus if has that which only 1 bedroom and up usually do.

Bigmac69

Reaction score
Ontario, BC and Manitoba have an out-of-province allowance of seven months. All other provinces and territories (with the exception of Newfoundland & Labrador) require you to be present for six months. Newfoundland & Labrador require only a four-month domestic residency.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I think that you will find that if you are out of Canada for more than 6 months a year that you will lose your Universal Health Care.

What? "Universal Health Care" isn't universal? :ponder:

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the food costs will add up. Especially if u dont have a kitchen (e.g. studio).

Also.. unlike cruise ships where once u get on 1 ship u will always be able to board another ship that leaves from same port, timeshares will require u to figure out transport between resorts.

Ships also have medical facilities on board..

Not knocking em..I think u could have several fun years time sharing full time, but it is less accommodating the older and more mobility limited u become.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I've played around with the numbers to live out of our timeshares and contemplated doing it. Thanks Joan and Ron for letting me pick your brain at the Orlando TUG get togethers.

We had planned to start going 6-12 weeks at a time to different areas of the country now that my husband is retired. This summer was not part of the plan but has just kept morphing into a longer stay away than we ever thought. We left home on July 18 to stay at our son's and go to a long weekend event for my 50th class reunion. The original plan was to go from their house to Glacier Canyon for just 6 nights then bring their girls back to Florida with us for a couple of weeks.

Wyndham Glacier Canyon, July 28-August 5, 8 nights, 210,000 points, 2 bedroom deluxe **6 nights booked at full points. FWIW it didn't actually kill me. The two additional nights were upgraded.

Brought our 2 granddaughters back to Florida with us for the stay in Orlando and a side trip to Clearwater.

Worldmark Reunion, August 4-18, 14 nights, booked with our RCI points account, 15,000 points and $478 exchange fees, 3 bedroom deluxe

Wyndham Clearwater, August 8-9, 1 night, 15,000 points, 2 bedroom presidential, upgraded.

Wyndham Bonnet Creek, August 17-24, RCI points account, 7500 points + $239 exchange fee. August 24-28, 35,250 Wyndham points. 2 bedroom dlx, 11 nights. The 4 extra nights were upgraded.

Got home from Orlando and flying the granddaughters back to Ohio to find that our AC was out. Florida 90 degree heat and no AC, I'm not staying there! We live 15-20 minutes from Palm-Aire so I booked us into Palm-Aire while the part was being shipped and the repair done.

Wyndham Palm-Aire, August 27-30, 3 nights, 18,000 points, 2 bedroom presidential, upgraded.

Slept in our own bed for 6 hours then ran from Dorian. I booked whatever worked to get us out of any possible path of the hurricane.

Fairfield Glade, August 31, 1 night, 9250 points, 4 bedroom presidential, upgraded.

Wyndham Nashville, September 1-3, 2 nights, 12,000 points, 1 bedroom deluxe, no upgrade.

Fairfield Glade, September 3-6, 3 nights, 12,000 points, 4 bedroom presidential, upgraded.

Fairfield Plantation, September 6-7, 1 night, 6500 points, studio, no upgrade yet and not expecting one.

Lighthouse Resort and Club, Sanibel, September 7-14, 7 nights, RCi points account, 7500 points and $239 exchange fee, 3 bedroom unit.

51 nights. Total cost $ 2828.06, $55.46 per night.
Used 318,000 Wyndham points, $1666.73 in maintenance fees. Used 30,000 RCI points, $205,33 in maintenance fees and $956 in exchange fees.

The 6 full point nights at Glacier Canyon, mfs $969.64, really brought the total cost up but the rest of the nights were cheap by comparison. If I deduct that stay it makes 45 nights at a cost of $1858.42, $41.30 per night. If I was trying to do this as cheaply as possible I wouldn't have had a night overlap between the Reunion stay and the Bonnet Creek stay. That was for our convenience in moving resorts. I also wouldn't have stayed at Bonnet Creek but would have picked Star Island or Cypress Palms because those extra 4 nights we needed would have been less points at Star Island or Cypress Palms.

It should be noted that except for the 6 full point nights at Glacier Canyon none of this was booked more than 3 weeks out and some of it the same day or within just a couple of days! I'm kind of impressed how it all came together when I needed it to. I've always told my husband that when we start going for several months at a time that I was confident that between our Wyndham and RCI points and last call weeks I could always find us something without having to plan months ahead of time.

Having the timeshares is a real blessing because it gave us the option of having an inexpensive place to run to, not sticking around to see what Dorian was going to do and possibly not being able to leave if we waited too long. Even without a direct hit there are still high winds that take down trees and cause power outages. Sometimes for several days. As my husband knew just how hot it was in our house while he waited for the repairman to come there was no way I wanted to risk having to live like that for several days. We got home from Palm-Aire packed what we needed, closed the house back up, ate dinner, went to bed and were on the road at 1:30AM. Traffic on the turnpike was minimal so that part of our plan worked beautifully. After 4.5 hours of driving we stopped for breakfast in Gainsville, FL at 6AM on Saturday morning. The four gas stations at that exit had no gas. We weren't critical yet and were able to get gas at a town up the road. Normally we don't fill up at just a hair under half a tank but after that we did. We had been seeing what we estimated were hundreds of utility bucket and work trucks, Asplundh tree trucks, EMT and rescue trucks and vans. At our second stop there was a bucket truck getting gas next to us. My husband was talking to the guys and they said there were thousands of those vehicles headed for Florida. Later that day I read online that 18,000 workers from 34 states and Canada had come to Florida.