• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buy RCI points

Ajolson1964

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The bay club Waikoloa Beach Resort
What should I buy RCI points for? Some say .01 per point but that seems high. What is a reasonable offer ? Heck May be .01 per point.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
You want to look for the lowest maintenance fees with the largest point total.

For example, you can buy 122,0000 points a year at the Grandview in Las Vegas with an annual maintenance fee of $835 plus your RCI membership.

Or you can buy 98,0000 points a year at the Grandview for the same annual maintenance fees of $835 plus your RCI membership.

The difference is that the 122K point contracts can sell for $2,000 or so and the $98K contracts are usually given away.

You can look on ebay to get a feel for what costs are included or are not, depending on the listing. Closing costs and resort transfer fees are sometimes included and sometimes not. Some will have all their points available and some won't.

As you can see, there are many factors at play.

Ajolson1964

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

For example, you can buy 122,0000 points a year at the Grandview in Las Vegas with an annual maintenance fee of $835 plus your RCI membership.

Or you can buy 98,0000 points a year at the Grandview for the same annual maintenance fees of $835 plus your RCI membership.

The difference is that the 122K point contracts can sell for $2,000 or so and the $98K contracts are usually given away.

You can look on ebay to get a feel for what costs are included or are not, depending on the listing. Closing costs and resort transfer fees are sometimes included and sometimes not. Some will have all their points available and some won't.

I was looking at that strategy and then someone gave me another idea that I am even liking more. Buy as cheep as points and just buy points when you need them. With that in mind I found a Bi-annual TS that has already been converted to points. It is 300 every other year and comes with 35k points. Which is low but I can just buy points ( in worst case) at .01 per point. This way I am not in the hook for 800 each year for MF and can manage what I buy based on what we want to do for that year. 300 every other year seems like a low risk. Seems like I have greater options with the buy low strategy. So that’s why I was wondering the cost of points. I see .01 but didn’t know if I can even get them lower.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I was looking at that strategy and then someone gave me another idea that I am even liking more. Buy as cheep as points and just buy points when you need them. With that in mind I found a Bi-annual TS that has already been converted to points. It is 300 every other year and comes with 35k points. Which is low but I can just buy points ( in worst case) at .01 per point. This way I am not in the hook for 800 each year for MF and can manage what I buy based on what we want to do for that year. 300 every other year seems like a low risk. Seems like I have greater options with the buy low strategy. So that’s why I was wondering the cost of points. I see .01 but didn’t know if I can even get them lower.
Look for a Grandview one bedroom worth 61K points, it’s only 400 MF yearly. I own a 2 bedroom regal vista and that gives 89K at 500 MF. The 35K point you’re looking at will be a headache when it’s all said and done. You’ll never get rid of it

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are RCI points sold on ebay and in the TUG marketplace, but RCI does not condone the sale of points, although they allow you to transfer them to another user. Because of that the market for the points isn't as robust as it could be so your prices may vary.

Ajolson1964

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I did some number crunching an I like your strategy. It does seem for the first 12 years getting the free 98k one is the better deal. Assuming you buy points to have the 98k match the 122k. If I did that I would add 24,000 points to my 98k every year. The cost would be around $240 for 24k points. It would take me 12 years to spend $2700 in points. After 12 years the 122k points is the better deal.

Ajolson1964

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Found exactly what I wanted. 98000 every other year (odd) with 825 in MF fees. All I have to do is pay the MF fees. Seems good enough for me. And the points Should be plenty for my needs so jumping into the pool.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
There are always future unknowns in time shares.

I might take this approach if I felt comfortable skirting rules once in a while and did not consistently need to buy points every year.

One of my concerns about this strategy is you are depending on skirting rules. If they ever decide they want to enforce the rules more stringently, you have exposure.

I respect the notion of calculating the break even point at which you are ahead paying more to earn points at a better ratio. One concern I would have with the less than prime weeks though, is it could be harder for you to exit when you wish. I have probably erred on the side of trying to have more premium resale units.

I did some number crunching an I like your strategy. It does seem for the first 12 years getting the free 98k one is the better deal. Assuming you buy points to have the 98k match the 122k. If I did that I would add 24,000 points to my 98k every year. The cost would be around $240 for 24k points. It would take me 12 years to spend $2700 in points. After 12 years the 122k points is the better deal.