• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buy direct or resale ?

tcm2362

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC; HGV
I have looked through the forums and I think I'm getting the answer I need, but figured I'd ask specifically. We are considering buying into HGV. For example, say we purchased 7000 to 9000 points at one of the Orlando properties, would we get the same benefits if we purchase resale as we would if buying directly? In other words - same flexibility in scheduling our vacations, same extended benefits such as RCI, reduced prices on other Hilton hotels and cruises, etc. I think I've read from some of the forums that one would be lacking sense to purchase directly vs. resale.

cindyc

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Kohala Suites, HGVC - Boulevard, HGV - Sedona Summit (deeded weeks), Sheraton Desert Oasis
Buying resale is definitely the way to go. With HGVC there is no real difference in purchasing a "used" or "resale" property, it is literally as good as "new" or "developer purchased." I think the only difference is if you buy resale you cannot use those points to count toward Elite Status with HGVC. More expert people will chime in and either confirm or correct me.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is correct, and the value of Elite Status is considered by those who actually remember what it is to be minimal :)

While other systems do have perks reductions for resale, not so with HGVC at this point.

Cheers.

tcm2362

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC; HGV
Thank you both so much. And the whole thing about handing it down to heirs still works too, I presume?

one more question...."asking for a friend"......say someone was foolish enough to buy direct (not naming names), and the rescind period has passed by a day or so, but there were extenuating circumstances for two of the days in the period.....would one fooolish person be able to get out of the deal?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Thank you both so much. And the whole thing about handing it down to heirs still works too, I presume?

As real estate, you can do anything with it that you can do with a house.
Only Hilton Club NY is "RTU" (right to use) with a fixed term.

One more question... "asking for a friend"... Say someone was foolish enough to buy direct (not naming names), and the rescind period has passed by a day or so, but there were extenuating circumstances for two of the days in the period... Would one foolish person be able to get out of the deal?

No bloody likely.
State laws set the rescission period and they don't allow for "extenuating circumstances."
The postmark date is the effective date, but postal meters cannot back-date mail. Sorry.

OTOH, HGVC reportedly once allowed a late rescission with a really good sob story.
But it's gotta be really good, and verifiable. "My dog died," prolly won't cut it.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

Welcome to TUG. The answer is yes.

I agree with the answers you have already been given. Basically, HGVC treats their owners (both direct and resales) very well. As already stated, about the only difference (which is very minimal) is that a resale purchase doesn't could toward elite levels. Everything else is the same between the two.

tcm2362

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC; HGV
Well the dog didn't eat it, but we were determined to cancel on the rescind date but just happened to be on the Hawaiian airlines flight where the crew member died this week. It obviously altered our return home by several hours, and to a different airport from where we originally departed. It made it impossible to act prior to midnight on the last rescind date. Sending them a certified letter ASAP with the explanation and proof of the situation. Hopefully that will be enough.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
"reduced prices on other Hilton hotels and cruises" just a comment about this.

You do not receive reduced prices on Hilton hotels. They do offer a HGVC member cruises but it is not a good use of points generally, it is better to use your HGVC points within HGVC.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Well the dog didn't eat it, but we were determined to cancel on the rescind date but just happened to be on the Hawaiian airlines flight where the crew member died this week. It obviously altered our return home by several hours, and to a different airport from where we originally departed. It made it impossible to act prior to midnight on the last rescind date. Sending them a certified letter ASAP with the explanation and proof of the situation. Hopefully that will be enough.

Sorry to hear about this. I heard about this in the news. Since this is a publicly recognized event, I think it is worth fighting. Send your notice now. Don't delay.

tcm2362

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC; HGV
Thank you - I'm going to get a faxed letter out in the a.m. and send hard copy via USPS on Monday a.m. I've also already written to Hawaiia state office for consumer protection to alert them as to our intent

tcm2362

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC; HGV
Just to let you all know - they apparently DID take our travel nightmare into consideration post-rescind period. Faxed letters one and two days after rescission deadline passed last Friday, mailed packet on Sunday, and emailed them first thing Monday morning. Got an email response from them by about 2 p.m. Hawaii time that we can expect a full refund of our deposit with 10 to 15 business days.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Just to let you all know - they apparently DID take our travel nightmare into consideration post-rescind period. Faxed letters one and two days after rescission deadline passed last Friday, mailed packet on Sunday, and emailed them first thing Monday morning. Got an email response from them by about 2 p.m. Hawaii time that we can expect a full refund of our deposit with 10 to 15 business days.
Very nice to hear. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: to HGVC for doing what’s right. I wonder how many other chains would have done this.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Glad this ended well. Although the OP would have prevailed in court, many brands would fight it or ignore in the hopes the OP would give up. Makes me feel good about owning HGVC because there is a sense of fairness.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad this ended well. Although the OP would have prevailed in court, many brands would fight it or ignore in the hopes the OP would give up. Makes me feel good about owning HGVC because there is a sense of fairness.

Just curious- why do you feel that the OP would have prevailed if this had gone to court (glad it didn't and that HGVC did an honorable thing here)? The argument could be made that waiting until the last day, with flights planned (which could have had delays/cancellations for any number of reasons) was not something that HGVC would have to excuse given the length of the recission period.

Again, not disagreeing at all with how this was handled, but just not sure I agree that, from a completely legal standpoint, the OP would have prevailed.

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I can see your argument. However there is nothing that indicates that they didn't intend to mail within the rescission period in good faith.
  • There could have been circumstances in which they couldn't get to a post office within the rescission period while in HI (holidays, lack of transportation)
  • The flight delay was beyond normal expectations to a new airport and a different city.
  • The flight delay/event most likely diverted their attention.
  • They may not have had access to a computer/paper/printer/envelopes (although handwritten note is acceptable).
The OP was lucky.

The lesson here is better to be safe and mail early while on vacation. Better yet. Save time and heartache and don't sign anything. You can always buy later if you change your mind.

Last edited:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

Great News! Was expecting HGVC to draw this out. As said above, it makes me feel better about my purchase! Wastegate would have fought it until the bitter end. HGVC is a great product. Research the system, explore the resorts and purchase resale with confidence. Congrats and good luck!

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can see your argument. However there is nothing that indicates that they didn't intend to mail within the rescission period in good faith.
  • There could have been circumstances in which they couldn't get to a post office within the rescission period while in HI (holidays, lack of transportation)
  • The flight delay was beyond normal expectations to a new airport and a different city.
  • The flight delay/event most likely diverted their attention.
  • They may not have had access to a computer/paper/printer/envelopes (although handwritten note is acceptable).
The OP was lucky.

The lesson here is better to be safe and mail early while on vacation. Better yet. Save time and heartache and don't sign anything. You can always buy later if you change your mind.

All good points. I just don't know that a court/jury would have found HGVC liable for a delay beyond the recission period for any of the conditions listed above.

Cheers.

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
HGVC went with the spirit of the rules. Good on them.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
All good points. I just don't know that a court/jury would have found HGVC liable for a delay beyond the recission period for any of the conditions listed above.

Cheers.

It is certainly possible because the case is not 100%. However taking the high road earned them much more in terms of customer sat. And the OP is considering another purchase. Even though it will be resale it will still buoy the HGVC system to have a satisfied owner paying maintenance fees who may spread goodwill instead of trying to bail and badmouth at every turn.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Just not sure I agree that, from a completely legal standpoint, the OP would have prevailed.

I concur. This would be a case of statutory interpretation and contract, not equity, so I doubt a judge would base a decision on what the OP says he intended to do. I see the judge saying, "Delays in air travel are the norm these days and to be expected. The courts cannot start writing exceptions for not acting into the statute."

OTOH, HGVC did the right thing and even let him know of their decision.
I daresay, all he would've gotten from other TS operators is dead silence.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I see the judge saying, "Delays in air travel are the norm these days and to be expected. The courts cannot start writing exceptions for not acting into the statute."

According to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS):

The industry average delay is 66 minutes with Hawaiian at 45 minutes.

The kind of delay the OP experienced exponentially exceeded the industry standard with an emergency diversion to SFO and rebooking delays to alternative flights by a day or more. This was such a rare event that it made national news; it could not have been reasonably anticipated. It would be like saying, "The aircraft could crash" so I will plan to say all my goodbyes and pay all of my bills before I step on the plane even though they are not due until I return.

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
According to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS):

The industry average delay is 66 minutes with Hawaiian at 45 minutes.

The kind of delay the OP experienced exponentially exceeded the industry standard with an emergency diversion to SFO and rebooking delays to alternative flights by a day or more. This was such a rare event that it made national news; it could not have been reasonably anticipated. It would be like saying, "The aircraft could crash" so I will plan to say all my goodbyes and pay all of my bills before I step on the plane even though they are not due until I return.

While both your statement about the average delay is likely true (no reason to doubt you :)) and this particular event is, indeed, very unique, the average is just an average, after all. Substantial delays and cancellations requiring rebooking- possibly even to another day- are certainly common enough not to constitute am exceptional circumstance, IMO. And certainly far more likely than a crash.

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
How often has a delay like this happened to you before? In all of my years of flying I have experienced short delays up to 4 hours. Infrequently longer when there was a predicted storm forecast (if OP were cutting it that close I would agree with your argument), but have never been diverted to another airport creating more than a day delay with national news attention when there was no storm on the horizon. Plus no one has died on the plane (thank goodness!)

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
How often has a delay like this happened to you before? In all of my years of flying I have experienced short delays up to 4 hours. Infrequently longer when there was a predicted storm forecast (if OP were cutting it that close I would agree with your argument), but have never been diverted to another airport creating more than a day delay with national news attention when there was no storm on the horizon. Plus no one has died on the plane (thank goodness!)

We have had flight cancellations requiring either changing to a different airport, finding another routing or going on a different day maybe half a dozen or so times. Usually involves aircraft mechanical issues and not death. It's about the delay, and not the cause or the national news. And cancellations are not at all uncommon.

Anyway, this is neither here nor there and we can agree to disagree about how a court might have rules. HGVC did the right thing, making this all moot :)

Cheers.