• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buy by Myself or Use a Broker/Lawyer?

Unicornhouse

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Contemplating HGVC for the flexibility in destinations.
Finished up my second HGVC presentation this morning. I walked away from $9000 for 2400 points (4000 point bonus) since it didn't align with what I had seen on resale sites. I'm still convinced it's a great product and I am taken by the flexibility in applying points to locations. I'm posting from Orlando today. Long-term, I think it's worth it as a vacation plan. (I have not researched other vendors.)

Having attempted to scour these forums for intel in advance of today, one item I'm not sure about is if I can "buy one myself" off a website or if I need a realtor, broker, lawyer, or otherwise. I do work in land development and understand real estate...but I feel a bit fish out of water here.

I'll go look at more listings now. (And I'll put any specific questions I have on the Hilton board.) [Edited to correct spelling mistakes.]

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I would never use a lawyer, and I would not use a broker, unless I was buying something from the broker's company.

To transfer a timeshare deed, you need someone to prepare and record the new deed, in legal compliance with the county recorder's office where it will be recorded. This is what a title company does when you buy a house.

This is who I use - they are Tuggers, they get high marks on TUG, and they are efficient and inexpensive - usually less than $200.

L.T. Transfers
www.lttransfers.com
readylegal@gmail.com

However, if you buy from a resale company, or an ebay reseller, and not a private seller, they usually want to do the title transfer themselves (or use an affiliated company) because the fees are a source of income for them.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Consider buying through a broker; this is your first purchase and you want things to go smoothly. Yes, it may cost a bit more, but compared to the cost of buying from the developer, it will still be a bargain.

I'm not a Hilton person so I won't suggest brokers, but others will. Nor will I suggest how many points you should buy, although 2400 is not enough.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
@Unicornhouse The Hilton system is very flexible and the treat their owners very well. Resale purchases have the same booking windows and access to regular HGVC resorts as those that purchased through a developer.

If you are wondering where to buy and how many points to purchase, check out the HGVC forum. There are so many seasoned owners there. Let us know how you will be using your timeshare and we can help.

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
2400 points is not alot depending on destination, rooms and season. Lagoon Tower platinum studio is 2200 points for a week so it is enough for a Hawaiian vacation, as well as many other locations. Grand Waikikian Platinum 3 bdrm pent is 28,750 points a week, so you can see there can be quite a spread. You may wish to work backwards, find a location and season, see what the points would be to go there. Look through the maintenance fee list https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...ations-club-2019-maintenance-fee-list.280402/ to get an idea of points per $ for various locations. The balance is cheap points at a place you never visit mean you have to use booking window for possibly much more in demand places. My strategy would be spend a bit to get a timeshare that has resale value as well. eBay has a lot of brokers who clearly list the fees. For a purchase of several thousand dollars, you may wish to avoid eBay and use some of the brokers that are recommended in the forums, or buy from TUG marketplace and use LT Transfers.

Unicornhouse

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Contemplating HGVC for the flexibility in destinations.
Thank you all for your help. I'm feeling much more confident and emboldened here. I'm going to keep shopping (and will move to the Hilton group with any specifics).

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Consider buying through a broker; this is your first purchase and you want things to go smoothly. Yes, it may cost a bit more, but compared to the cost of buying from the developer, it will still be a bargain.

I'm not a Hilton person so I won't suggest brokers, but others will. Nor will I suggest how many points you should buy, although 2400 is not enough.

I read somewhere that it is important that at least ONE person in the transaction knows what needs to be done. So, using a broker may make sense.

My smoothest transaction was using the Tug2 marketplace and buying from another Tug member. In that case both of us knew what we were doing (and we used LT Transfer). I also bought two off of ebay (both sellers had 100% ratings and lots of sales). Those transactions seemed to go okay as well. Surprisingly, I hit the biggest hiccup in a closing through Re/Max. Apparently neither the broker nor the seller read my clearly written offer as thoroughly as they should have. The issue had to do with the first MF for which I would be responsible. I always like to spell things out very explicitly and try to never leave a contract item up for personal interpretation.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The person who knows what they are doing can be the Timeshare Title Co. - it doesn't have to be a broker. Unless you are buying a timeshare that is listed with a broker, and therefore you must go through the broker - you don't need to bring in a broker.