• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bus schedules in Cancun

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are staying at the Royal Mayan. We want to go to Playa de Carmen and spend a few hours. Then we would like to take the boat over to Cozumel. Is it hard to take the bus? How would I find bus schedules?

Last time we took the bus to downtown Cancun and spent part of a day, that was fun. Did some shopping. Took a cab back.

RFW

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are staying at the Royal Mayan. We want to go to Playa de Carmen and spend a few hours. Then we would like to take the boat over to Cozumel. Is it hard to take the bus? How would I find bus schedules?

Last time we took the bus to downtown Cancun and spent part of a day, that was fun. Did some shopping. Took a cab back.

There is regular, frequent scheduled bus service between Cancun and Playa del Carmen from the bus terminal in downtown Cancun to the bus terminal in downtown Playa del Carmen. It is a short walk from the bus terminal to the ferry to Cozumel. The schedule can be found at www.ticketbus.com.mx (it will load in Spanish but you can select English, French or German) but you don't actually need to by tickets in advance. I believe the trip takes between 1 and 1 1/2 hrs. The bus to Playa is nothing like the city bus in Cancun. These are over the road, put your seat back, freezing AC coaches.

Get an early start. Playa del Carmen plus Cozumel will be a pretty full day.

I don't know whether or not Thomas More will help you, or try to sell you a private van trip, but it is worth asking. If not, talk to your 'host' at the Mayan, or the front desk to find out how to get to the Cancun bus terminal. It is on Ave Tulum. From the Mayan, you would take the Ruta 1 or R1 bus which goes down Ave Tulum. Suggest you ask the driver to let you know when you should get off for the bus terminal. They are usually pretty helpful.

Last edited:

talkamotta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information... It was just what I needed.

LouAnn

jschmidt

Reaction score
1. Go to the front desk at the Royal Mayan and ask for a map of “El Centro de Cancun” (Downtown Cancun). ). Also take your Cancun Tips magazine that you got at the airport. It should have additional maps that may be helpful.

2. Ask the guy at the Royal Mayan front desk to mark your El Centro map with the locations of the bus station and the colectivo (Van) pickup point. Don’t worry about schedules in Mexico. I suggest you leave early. You will have a very full day if you make it all the way to Cozumel and back in one day! Buses leave about every half hour. Colectivos leave when they are full. Colectiveos are a great experience.

3. Catch the bus in front of the Royal Mayan. Take Ruta Uno (Route 1). Ruta Uno turns right onto Ave. Tulum at the first traffic circle.

4. You will get off the bus at the second traffic circle. The colectivo pickup point is next to the parking lot of the grocery store. The bus station is across the street. Take your choice. The cost will be about $30 to $35 pesos ($3.00 to $3.50 US dollars) one way per person.

5. The driving distance from Cancun to Playa del Carmen is 68 Kilometers (42 Miles). Travel time is about 60 minutes depending on the number of people that get off or get on as you're going down the highway. In the morning, people are going to work and will be getting off. On the return trip, in the afternoon, the workers will be returning to Cancun so the bus or colectivo will be picking them up.

6. The ferry for Cozumel is about a block and a half from either the bus station or colectivo drop point in Cozumel.

7. There is more to see and do in Playa del Carmen then in Cozumel. Your choice.

8. If you’re there during week 42 or 43, I will be glad to tell you exactly what to do.

9. Have fun!

Last edited:

talkamotta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks

We might just take a day and visit Playa and another day to go to Cozumel. My son spent his honeymoon in Playa and they really liked it. Just stayed around the timeshare for the most part.

We will be at the Royal Mayan on Nov 1st so I think thats later than you will be there. Thanks for the info.