• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Burmese python caught while swimming in Florida bay

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yuck!! Maybe this is why some Tuggers object to Rich's posts.

(Said tongue in cheek.)

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
This one wouldn't load completely to the end on my iPad, so I made a note to check when I was on my office computer to make sure he killed the thing. Ugh!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
This one wouldn't load completely to the end on my iPad, so I made a note to check when I was on my office computer to make sure he killed the thing. Ugh!

“Iannotta pulled the snake onto the boat with a gaff, killing it. He put the snake on ice and disposed of it once he reached shore at the end of the day.”

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's it. I'm done. No getting near water in Florida for me. Nope. Uh-uh. Not with snakes in the water. Not me.

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
That's it. I'm done. No getting near water in Florida for me. Nope. Uh-uh. Not with snakes in the water. Not me.

Jim

Seriously? You know snakes everywhere swim, right? Not just Florida. A python swimming in Florida is less likely to bite anything than a python on solid ground. Or in a tree. Are you going to stop climbing trees? ;)

Dave

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Seriously? You know snakes everywhere swim, right? Not just Florida. A python swimming in Florida is less likely to bite anything than a python on solid ground. Or in a tree. Are you going to stop climbing trees? ;)

Dave

We took a swamp tour about 18 months after Katrina and were the only ones on the boat so were able to talk quite a bit with the tour guide. When he told us a snake had dropped out of a tree and into the boat on two occasions, that was it for me!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are so many snakes and alligators in the sunshine state nowo_O; that I am loving HHI, Myrtle Beach, WMBG, and San Diego more and more in my traveling time. LOL:D

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a lot to like about Ireland. No snakes being among them.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
These reptiles occur due to scientific study, the irresponsible pet owner...not the origin but could be a aggravating factor....early 1990s. Hurricane Andrew devastated Florida in 1992, and it damaged quite a few zoos, pet stores, exotic animal warehouses, and wildlife refuges in the process. Many of the escaped animals -- ranging from monkeys to mountain lions -- were rounded up after the storm. Some, unfortunately, were put down. But many animals eluded capture. It has been documented that a large (but unknown) number of Burmese pythons were "liberated" by Hurricane Andrew, escaping into the Florida Everglades and other parts of the state...late 1990's was the first sighting of these snakes.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it true that Burmese pythons are causing problems for the other animals in the Glades?

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it true that Burmese pythons are causing problems for the other animals in the Glades?
Absolutely. If you Google you will find many articles on the topic. Here is a short one... Link

For a couple of years, they had a contest where Python hunters were offered prizes as to who could capture the most pythons in a week. With something like ten thousand pythons in the Everglades, the contestants, often very knowledgeable people with regard to the behavior of these critters, were only able to capture a couple of hundred. The organizers of the contest knew in advance that they would not find and kill that many pythons. The contest was merely meant to call attention to the problem.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

I'd think so. I used to keep snakes as pets.

Pythons will eat just about anything they can grab, if they can constrict on it, kill it, and get it down their gullet. Mammals and rodents are especially tasty to them. Pythons are "live bearing," which means the mother doesn't lay eggs - the babies are fully functional when they emerge from the mother. Burmese pythons can have as many as 100 offspring a year, and they grow fast. And every one of those babies will be born hungry. As they grow, their need for larger prey increases. In a place like the Everglades, they have an ideal environment to establish themselves. It can definitely be a problem for native species populations - as the young are eaten, the snakes grow, and larger prey is taken. Get the larger snakes closer to civilization, and pets are then on the menu.

Dave

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
More on the Python Challenge (the hunting contest). Here is a link to the results of the 2013 contest. Note that there were 1600 people who participated in the month long event (not one week as I previously posted). With $1500 going to the winner, he captured a paltry 15 pythons, the second place contestant, 5.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)

Jim

Me too! It was bad enough we had to worry about sharks, now snakes as well! I'll stick to swimming in the pool!

~Diane

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Me too! It was bad enough we had to worry about sharks, now snakes as well! I'll stick to swimming in the pool!

~Diane

Make sure there isn't an alligator resting on the bottom before you dive in. :eek:

Dave

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I'd think so. I used to keep snakes as pets.

Pythons will eat just about anything they can grab, if they can constrict on it, kill it, and get it down their gullet. Mammals and rodents are especially tasty to them. Pythons are "live bearing," which means the mother doesn't lay eggs - the babies are fully functional when they emerge from the mother. Burmese pythons can have as many as 100 offspring a year, and they grow fast. And every one of those babies will be born hungry. As they grow, their need for larger prey increases. In a place like the Everglades, they have an ideal environment to establish themselves. It can definitely be a problem for native species populations - as the young are eaten, the snakes grow, and larger prey is taken. Get the larger snakes closer to civilization, and pets are then on the menu.

Dave

Re: live birth. Richard's second post mentions an extra bounty for pythons caught guarding eggs.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Just another reason to add to the List on why not to visit Florida.

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
I heard one estimate that said that because of the pythons, almost 90% of other animals have been wiped out in the Everglades. It is particularly bad among the bird population. For some reason, I don’t think of Pythons as bird eaters but it is absolutely true.

I was on Bohol, in the Philippines in a town called Python and they have an exhibit of what they say is the world’s biggest Python which is over 25 feet long.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

Dave

I'm thinkin' the chances of seeing snakes swimming (much less surviving) in the wonderful waters of Eye-Duh-Hoe are just a bit less than in Floor-E-Duh!

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Make sure there isn't an alligator resting on the bottom before you dive in. :eek:

Dave

You're a bad man, Dave!

...but you should have told them to check the skimmers for spiders while you're at it!

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)

Dave

And another reason why I don't go in! Even at our winter place in Corozal Belize there are crocodiles in the bay since it is not full Caribbean salt water due to the many rivers emptying into the bay. A friend of ours spotted one creeping up on he and his toddler who were sitting about 10 feet from shore in about 6 inches of water last winter. As I said before, I'll stick to the swimming pools!

~Diane