• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Burgers...American staple

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

Don't know about you but I love a good burger. When I first came to Portugal back in 2008 for a visit, no burgers on site. Now, over the last 10 yrs or so, lots of places to choose from when I want a taste of home.

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I miss Fuddruckers. While some are still around, they are a shadow of what they were in Dallas in the 1980's:
Fuddruckers was founded as Freddie Fuddruckers in 1979 by Philip J. Romano in San Antonio, Texas, at a location converted from an old bank to a restaurant. He started the chain because he thought that "the world needed a better hamburger." The Fuddruckers concept was to offer large hamburgers in which the meat was ground on-site and buns were baked on the premises and hamburgers and other dishes were offered with "lots of fresh sliced tomatoes, onions, lettuce and vats of cheese sauce."

For a decent fast food burger, I still like Whataburger - even though the family sold the company to a Chicago based corporation.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
The best burger I’ve ever had, and maybe the thing I miss the most about Birmingham, is at a little French bistro Chez Fonfon. It has been selected as the best burger in the nation and has been featured on the Food Network. It is a very simple burger, seasoned with a perfect blend of salt and pepper, cooked medium, topped with melted French Comte’ cheese (similar to Gruyere), and served on a brioche bun. A Romaine lettuce leaf, grilled red onions, dijon mayonnaise and pickles are served on the side. It is so simple, yet so delicious. I’ve never had another one that comes close. So, if you’re ever in Birmingham, I highly recommend it.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
The best burger I’ve ever had, and maybe the thing I miss the most about Birmingham, is at a little French bistro Chez Fonfon. It has been selected as the best burger in the nation and has been featured on the Food Network.

Wonder if my son knows about Chez Fonfon. Too bad we're not headed his way for awhile! I will send the link to my DiL pronto and I bet they'll be dining there soon if they've not been already!

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Wonder if my son knows about Chez Fonfon. Too bad we're not headed his way for awhile! I will send the link to my DiL pronto and I bet they'll be dining there soon if they've not been already!
If they haven’t been, strongly suggest they try it. Their desserts are also fantastic, especially the coconut cake which has also won several awards. The chocolate caramel tart is my personal favorite. But, the Hamburger Fonfon is still the star of the show!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Las Vegas
Wyndham Sedona
Wyndham Kona
Bison Burgers, including those offered at Fuddruckers.

geekette

Reaction score
I miss Fuddruckers. While some are still around, they are a shadow of what they were in Dallas in the 1980's:

For a decent fast food burger, I still like Whataburger - even though the family sold the company to a Chicago based corporation.
I fondly remember what Fuddruckers was. I found one well over a decade ago in Cincinnati, and agree, not at all what it used to be.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I love Five Guys, but the price is high for a burger that I don't eat with a bun. I love the mushrooms and the veggies I can choose. The fries are the best but too tempting. I cannot go there anymore.

Rick started grilling the Schweid and Sons burger patties that we buy at our local Kroger (King Soopers in the Denver/ Colorado Springs are), which are excellent. https://schweidandsons.com/ Occasionally these patties are on sale, but even if they are not, it's like eating steak for me.

plpgma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Palm-Aire
I've never met a bacon cheeseburger that I haven't liked -- but I do invite only a specific few back for a visit!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
For chain restaurant burgers, I like Red Robin. Especially the Royal Red Robin (the one with the fried egg) with a side of onion rings and campfire sauce.

Perhaps one of the best burgers I have had was at a restaurant in Barbados called Mojo.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
The best burger is the one you make yourself. Start with ground chuck if you can find it. I like to get the Weber kettle going and use a reverse sear with smoke method. I put the burgers on the the indirect side of the grill and toss a chunk of hickory over the coals. Close the lid and let the smoke do it's thing for a brief period. Then open the lid and flip and flip until you get a nice crust on the outside and medium on the inside. Smoky goodness.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
I make a great burger at home, my preference actually. For chain burgers, my picks are In-N-Out, Red Robin, Freddys, and regional chains Burger Lounge and The Habit. We used to go to Fuddruckers 20 years ago. They left Southern California in 2020, but we hadn't eaten at one in years anyway. We have a lot of better choices here.

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
The best burger is the one you make yourself. Start with ground chuck if you can find it. I like to get the Weber kettle going and use a reverse sear with smoke method. I put the burgers on the the indirect side of the grill and toss a chunk of hickory over the coals. Close the lid and let the smoke do it's thing for a brief period. Then open the lid and flip and flip until you get a nice crust on the outside and medium on the inside. Smoky goodness.

I'm with you on that! I recommend raising your own beef and dry aging it before it's ground, too. Can't match that in a restaurant....

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I'm with you on that! I recommend raising your own beef and dry aging it before it's ground, too. Can't match that in a restaurant....

I'm not sure my neighbors are gonna be real happy if I have a cow in my backyard.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Two word for that - Free Fertilizer! They will be thrilled and delighted!!

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Not a burger connoisseur at all, and in a cafe setting would generally order anything except a burger. But I have plans to eventually get back to Julian, CA for an apple blue cheese burger. OMG, burger patty had chunks of apple (Julian is an apple growing town) and blue cheese crumbles incorporated into it, served with carmelized onions on top. It was so good!

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not a burger connoisseur at all, and in a cafe setting would generally order anything except a burger. But I have plans to eventually get back to Julian, CA for an apple blue cheese burger. OMG, burger patty had chunks of apple (Julian is an apple growing town) and blue cheese crumbles incorporated into it, served with carmelized onions on top. It was so good!

Julian Cafe, right? Used to live in Ramona and ate there a few times.

geekette

Reaction score
I would try this at home. Mmmmm

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
In New England, I've always loved Friendly's burgers ... the ones in the past on toast were yummy..can't remember the name! I think 99 makes a good one also. Five brothers is very good too.