• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Budget Rental Car

MelBay

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
In early November we made our very first trek to Vegas, and had a ball. I've been through a very, very ugly real estate legal battle for the past year, and it got settled (in my favor) 2 days before we left, so I was ready to go! We lost our car 4 times (not due to alcohol, just age-induced stupidity) and I also backed the Budget rental car (much bigger than my car at home) into a pole. Oops!

389267_309197619090620_100000011535226_1332208_831486721_n.jpg

I NEVER take the rental insurance they try to ram down your throat, as my MasterCard covers the deductible from our full line of State Farm coverage.

I was so upset we actually went to a Chevy dealer who told us if we weren't leaving the next morning that he could fix it for about $250. Minor damage...

So, here's the question: It's been 2 months, I have called Budget 3 times, no returned calls (always get an answering machine), no paperwork demaning $$, nothing. My insurance agent hasn't heard from them, and neither has Mastercard. They have all the info.

Should I keep bugging them, or just hope it goes away? :hysterical: Seriously, my agent says to just sit tight and let them initiate it, but I don't want to sit tight for 2 years and then have this pop up. This is crazy, from the horror stories I've heard about wrecked rentals, I'd have figured they'd have put a lien on our house by the time we got back home.

And, while we're at it, I'd love to hear other rental wreck stories. They're always good.

classiclincoln

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you turned in the car, did Budget note the damage? If not, you're off the hook. If they did, eventually they'll contact you about the money. For what it's worth, if they did note the damage, I would let Master Card know and have everyone "open the file".

MelBay

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yup, they noted the damage. And I checked with Master Card, and I have supplied everything I can give them, so I've fulfilled my duties. Again, Budget won't respond to their requests for their documentation. Very odd...

MelBay

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
And, to close the loop on this one, I got the "demand letter" from Budget last week.

Since I charged the car on my Bank of America World Points card which covers deductibles for car rental accidents, they needed two more pieces of info from Budget, and then paid my deductible. Since the total for damages was only $206 more than my deductible with State Farm, I just paid it out of pocket, rather than incurring a black mark on our State Farm lines of insurance.

So, moral of my story is to use a credit card that covers car rental boo-boos, because it's sure cheaper than paying that ridiculously high over the counter insurance Budget tried to stick to us.

Happy ending for all...

AKE

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Some credit card car insurances do not go after your own car insurance at all but rather pay the full shot themselves.