• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Breaking News! US Defense Secretary Announces War on Drugs

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Just watched CNN go to "Breaking News" for an announcement from the US Secretary of Defense. What is the "important" announcement? Maybe mobilizing the military to help out with the current Covid-19 pandemic emergency? Move to a high-readiness status to support National Guard and civil authorities if a looming personnel shortage arises? The organization of military convoys and aircraft to aid in the distribution of PPE? None of the above.

The "important" and "urgent" announcement is that the US military, in co-ordination with the Coast Guard and other agencies, is stepping up patrols in the eastern Pacific and Caribbean to interdict drug insurgencies!! Most of those drugs they are trying to stop must be arriving in Washington, because if they are not smoking something I have to shake my head. Might be a laudable objective at any other time but right now.

Wrong emergency. Wrong timing. Do they not know a pandemic is afoot in the United States and that is where their focus should be? The cynical me says it is a feeble attempt to change the conversation. If it weren't so serious and not a laughing matter, the comedian in me would say that when people are stuck, quarantined in their homes for weeks, they need more, not fewer drugs. I just don't get it.

As a Canadian I believe strongly that every country has the inherent right to decide and chart its own course. People are stuck in their homes. People are dying out there. Front-line workers are short of the supplies they need to do their important jobs. And this is the priority? My apologies in advance to my American friends and cousins for poking in with my two cents here, but this just boggles my mind.

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
You're right. On the surface this seems a bit ridiculous. But, usually things like this have been in the works and planned to start at this time for quite a while. the choice is go ahead and put it in action or put it on the shelf. My guess is someone decided either there was too much money already invested to shelve it or it would be too costly to restart later. So now's the time. In fact, it might be easier to put in place now with most people following the stay at home order.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The problem is however, that while defenses are diverted criminals look to take advantage.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Understand that the war on drugs is a war nonetheless. Just as in Afghanistan, Bahrain, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar and other places around the world, they can't be put on hold. Yes the sick need more drugs, just not the one's they're trying to stop.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Maybe they are worried that the drug dealers have coronavirus and want to keep them out. (Just kidding, trying to lighten the mood)

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sadly, the drug dealers know that we are a bit busy right now and have been shifting resources and $$$ to our National heath pandemic and SIP/economic recession. So they anticipate demand will go way up with so many people out of work and LOTS of idle time at home lock down and bored/depressed looking for Drugs as an escape from this sad reality. Therefore the response from The US southern command drug task force could be a preemptive strike/response to this.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I was speaking to a friend In Colombia and he is very worried about the US navy ships off the coast of Venezuela. They have 2 million Venezuelan refuges in Colombia so what happens in Venezuela affects them. He is saying they are having a lot of civil unrest from the refugees because they want food and money but the government is having trouble serving the refugees now.

I do not understand why people are blaming CNN for reporting on this. They are just reporting what the US government is doing. In Latin America, this is a big deal according to my friend. My friend said that the anti-drug reason is just an excuse.

I googled this story and they say it is the biggest US mission in that area since USA invaded Panama in 1989. This might be why CNN called it breaking news.

POTUS said that, due to coronavirus, we are vulnerable now and that is why he is doing this mission.

Seems like a bad time to me but what do I know?

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Seems odd that a Canadian is commentating on US news. But in my very limited experience Canadians seem to have an opinion on everything US. I wonder why that is. I have never once wondered or had an opinion on Canadian doings.

My advice: if your stuck on a boat with Americans keep your opinions to yourself .

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Seems odd that a Canadian is commentating on US news. But in my very limited experience Canadians seem to have an opinion on everything US. I wonder why that is. I have never once wondered or had an opinion on Canadian doings.

My advice: if your stuck on a boat with Americans keep your opinions to yourself .

Why so odd? Part of the reason many Canadians have opinions about American news is that most of us have access to US networks on our televisions and therefore significant exposure to it. Except along the border, the same does not apply to Americans, unless you go looking for it on streaming services.

I suspect you have no opinion on Canadian doings, because you also have little or no knowledge of them. As a Canadian I can assure you that is not true for all Americans. And I have chatted civilly and enjoyably with lots of Americans when travelling, about issues on both sides of the border. It has always been an interesting two-sided discussion where we both have learned things.

For someone from a country that lauds itself for being the land of the free and the home of the brave, where the right to bear arms and freedom of speech are paramount, I find your final comment to not only be somewhat threatening in tone, but stifling of that freedom of speech. Or does that right to freedom of speech only apply to you?

And I if I am ever on a boat or a ship with Americans, I would certainly never consider myself "stuck"! Hopefully, neither would they.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
90% of the Canadian population lives within 100 miles of the U.S. border.
I'd hope that they'd be concerned about what goes on here.
Not thinking about doings of a neighbor country seems rather ignorant.

Last edited:

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
During my insomnia tonight, I just watched Clear and Present Danger. Now that was a war on drugs!

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
During my insomnia tonight, I just watched Clear and Present Danger. Now that was a war on drugs!

Sure get the insomnia thing tonight, for some reason! :sleep::sleep:

Any Tom Clancy movie is a great tonic for all this time in lockdown at home! And "Clear and Present Danger" is no exception. Thanks for the idea! :clap:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
CNN was only announcing what our government told them to broadcast to the American public; this was a breaking news announcement from the Department of Defense on the war on drugs.

Personally, I would liked to know who from DOD sent this announcement to CNN and who authorized and approve this announcement ?

Sounds liked their is a hidden agenda by someone at DOD.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have one other observation did DOD send this same breaking news announcement to PBS, CBS, ABC FOX and NBC news headquarters?

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Is this the same press conference that CNN decided not to cover live? CNN is getting roasted for that decision snd properly so.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why is CNN getting beat up for announcing news?

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
For someone from a country that lauds itself for being the land of the free and the home of the brave, where the right to bear arms and freedom of speech are paramount, I find your final comment to not only be somewhat threatening in tone, but stifling of that freedom of speech. Or does that right to freedom of speech only apply to you?

And I if I am ever on a boat or a ship with Americans, I would certainly never consider myself "stuck"! Hopefully, neither would they.
Certainly no threat.

And of course I believe you have freedom of speech.

As I said my very limited experience

We had a highly anticipated vacation in Tahiti this past summer on a catamaran. A sort of blind date with the other passengers. There were 2 couples from Canada, a couple from New Zealand and us. To say we were shocked by the other passengers bombardment on us regarding US goings is an understatement. We declined to comment as their opinions were well formed. It certainly made us uncomfortable and our vacation less enjoyable.

You haven’t given me any reason to change my prior post or opinion.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
According to the CDC, in 2018 drug overdoses led to over 67,000 deaths in the US. Now, some of those overdoses were perhaps prescription medication. Still, 67,000 is not a small number. As another analogy, we can't stop all cancer or heart disease research and prevention because of the current emergency.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Why is CNN getting beat up for announcing news?

Who would you rather we beat up? Some random guy on the street?
'Tis far better to go after someone who won't (can't) hit back.

-----------------------
Heard a comedian say:
Fox News is for conservatives. MSNBC is for liberals.
CNN is for people who believe a plane can never land safely.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Who would you rather we beat up? Some random guy on the street?
'Tis far better to go after someone who won't (can't) hit back.

-----------------------
Heard a comedian say:
Fox News is for conservatives. MSNBC is for liberals.
CNN is for people who believe a plane can never land safely.

Ha ha, LOL. Good point, Let's beat up CNN and shoot the messenger!