• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Breaking News: 4-Alarm Fire at The Quarter House in New Orleans Reported by Local NOLA News Media Tonight 6/18/20

Bryang73

Reaction score
From NOLA.com:
"Two firefighters were injured fighting a blaze that started at a hotel in downtown New Orleans on Tuesday evening, according to fire officials.

Authorities were called to a four-alarm fire around 7:50 p.m. at 129 Chartres Street, the address for Quarter House Hotel, according to NOFD's union president Aaron Mischler, when two firefighters inhaled smoke.

They were inside the hotel attempting to put out the fire, Mischler said, when one firefighter was overcome by smoke and the other got lost in the hotel building.

Mischler said authorities had to rescue the second firefighter by ladder through a fifth floor window.

As of 9:15 p.m., NOFD was still working the scene, but Mischler said the fire was contained with help from two mounted devices on large ladders that sprayed water down the building.

Photos on social media and from a reporter showed a cloud of smoke swirling above buildings near the intersection around 8:10 p.m.

It is not immediately clear what caused the fire at the downtown hotel, which has not been open to guests since the coronavirus pandemic caused shutdowns for many businesses.

According to the hotel's website, the building that houses the Quarter House pre-dates the Civil War and was designed by famed New Orleans architect James Gallier in 1831.

Most of the structures on the grounds were built prior to 1840.

Stay with NOLA.com for more updates."

From WVUE Fox 8 https://www.fox8live.com/2020/06/18/nofd-fights-fire-downtown-new-orleans-chartres-street/

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
It ended up being a six-alarm fire that wasn't under control until about 2 AM.

A lot has to be sorted out -- separating rumor from fact, which will happen in good time so I'm not going to quote from the various reports.

I own four weeks there and consider Quarter House to be very close to the top of the list of places I like to be.

Last edited:

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
I own one week there, and am so sad to hear this.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Sad news! I bet here goes a lot of people's Mardi Gras reservations!

~Diane

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
I am sure they are insured, but I wonder if a special assessment will be coming our way. Their maintenance fees have been holding steady for many years.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
-below is a Facebook post from the Quarter House Resort

June 20, 2020

A message from our General Manager:

“We regretfully have to let you all know that our building is temporarily closed due to a fire that has taken place on June 18th at approximately 7:15 pm on Thursday evening. The fire only effected one small section of our building, but due to water damage, our check-in area and ground floor has also been effected.
Fortunately, we were able to evacuate all of our owners and guests very quickly and with no injuries. We are heartbroken at this time. As you know, the Quarter House Resort is our jewel of the French Quarter. Our team will be reaching out to all owners and future guests to give you more information. If you have any questions and concerns, please email us at management@quarterhouse.com.”

Sincerely,
Nikki Krivjanick, General Manager

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
-below is a Facebook post from the Quarter House Resort

June 20, 2020

A message from our General Manager:

“We regretfully have to let you all know that our building is temporarily closed due to a fire that has taken place on June 18th at approximately 7:15 pm on Thursday evening. The fire only effected one small section of our building, but due to water damage, our check-in area and ground floor has also been effected.
Fortunately, we were able to evacuate all of our owners and guests very quickly and with no injuries. We are heartbroken at this time. As you know, the Quarter House Resort is our jewel of the French Quarter. Our team will be reaching out to all owners and future guests to give you more information. If you have any questions and concerns, please email us at management@quarterhouse.com.”

Sincerely,
Nikki Krivjanick, General Manager

Wow, this is such sad news, I love the QH and my heart breaks for the entire staff who are all just wonderful....Nikki, holds a special place in my heart and she has always gone above and beyond for me....

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Nothing on QH's website. I'll send Nikki an email.

Mere property damage!

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Wow! I was going to book there instead of Florida for this week.

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
Hmm, I just gave a week to RCI for an exchange...I wonder if RCI will reverse that.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Hmm, I just gave a week to RCI for an exchange...I wonder if RCI will reverse that.

My 2020 & 2021 QH unit in Interval is no longer available for deposit “due to resort conditions.”

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
Yeah, I can understand not accepting deposits right now, but I wonder if RCI has ever "reversed" a completed deposit due to these type of circumstances.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I can’t believe I almost booked that in interval for that same week!!

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I missed this last week. We stayed at the Quarter House on our first trip to New Orleans and really enjoyed it. So sorry to hear this.

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Here is the local news report. It sounds like guests heard explosions before the fire.

kparam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I can understand not accepting deposits right now, but I wonder if RCI has ever "reversed" a completed deposit due to these type of circumstances.
Yes, they "cancelled" my 2020 73000 points deposit (Week 26) - Penthouse. I also have a week deposited (Week 50) but RCI hasn't cancelled or reversed that trading value yet..
This is so sad, but hopefully they can make repairs. I don't know if or how badly our 2 units are damaged.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Wow, that is very sad. I hope they get the resort up and running again.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I own week 27 and just a couple weeks ago reached out to bank my week (internally). Thanks to the pandemic, I'm not traveling much this year. I was told I had until 12/2021 to use my banked week.

Sad to hear about the fire. Fingers crossed that any special assessments will be small!

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I just got a call from Quarter House, and they informed me that their phone lines just got turned on yesterday and that my unit had no damage but they could not tell me if I could use it for week 3 in 2021. They told me to call back in October to get an update. I love this TS so much and I'm grateful that the fire did not total this great place...Chapjim helped me years ago when I was buying this place and I still can't thank him enough for turning me onto this great place

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Did they ever comment on the cause of the fire?

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wish QH would post an update -- something more than the notice on QH's website.

NOLA47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations and Escapes to the Shores Orange Beach
I don’t think they ever stated the cause of the fire but only that it affected one small area of the building; however, due to water damage other areas were affected. I would have thought more details of the fire (cause) would have been released by now. No one was hurt but it was a six alarm fire in the confined French Quarter area.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don’t think they ever stated the cause of the fire but only that it affected one small area of the building; however, due to water damage other areas were affected. I would have thought more details of the fire (cause) would have been released by now. No one was hurt but it was a six alarm fire in the confined French Quarter area.

Yes, that's my point. They put a lot of water on the fire and the only mention of water damage was to the check-in area and ground floor. Did the water take the stairs so as not to cause damage on the way down?