• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Branson - Hikes, Golf and Show Recommendations

DJensen

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Planning a Monday to Friday get-away to Willow Ridge in Branson in early May. I realize the area is know for the shows and attractions, but we want to do some hiking and possibly golfing during the week. Any recommendations for good trails, courses, shows and restaurants is appreciated! We also like a good craft beer - I see there are many moonshine distilleries too.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only trails I've hiked in or near Branson:

White Cedar Bald to Glade Trail, not a bad little trail , you go down around 300 feet and back up. Around 2.22 miles.
Lakeside Forest Wilderness Trail, had picnic tables to eat if you bring food, a nice stairway to climb if you go that way. Also around 300 ft up/down. We went 2 miles, but, there are several paths to take. The stairs we fairly steep and we enjoyed this one.
Table Rock Lake State Park Red Loop, we did this one last year. We went 3.11 miles, though you can go a lot further. Very little elevation changes as far as we went, you walk by several attractions.
Rourke Creek - This is in the city departing from Branson Landing. We went 5 miles, almost no elevation change. The wooded section is nice with some benches.

I know the details as I use Gaia GPS app to track my hikes and routes.

For shows, we have dozens of favorites. For us, anything at Sigh and Sound Theater. We really enjoyed Reza illusionist show last time, he called DW up on stage, lol. Many opportunities for moonshine, the MVCI resort there had an activity pre COVID where you could taste a good dozen or so kinds. Branson Landing has a good moonshine place, forgot the name of it.

We enjoyed the old scenic railway as well. Amusement park is pretty good.

There are literally hundreds of things to do there, we generally go once or twice a year since it's so close to us and was there last Christmas for the lights.

Don't know about craft beer or golf.

mkeller7281

TUG Member
Reaction score
We enjoyed the Dogwood Canyon Nature Preserve, even rented a bike. Great fun and so beautiful. They had wonderful food and beautiful places to eat, walk, explore. Loved every inch we got to see. Also, if you have time and it's open, try the Keeter Center for the food program. Excellent.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you like bluegrass, hard to beat the Petersen Band ( https://www.petersenband.com ) afternoon show at Little Opry Theater. They do a gospel set one of the days. Small intimate theater and great band. Highly recommend.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
We enjoyed some nice walks in and near Branson last week, and there are many more strenuous hiking trails that are beyond our capabilities. We visited Roaring River State Park, with its trout hatchery, and the Lakeside Forest Wilderness Area, which is inside Branson. Big Sugar Creek State Park is on our list for next time. The Ruth and Paul Henning Conservation Area, on the western side of town, was nice as well. Some of the trails @Steve Fatula mentions are in these parks. In addition to the trail Steve mentions, Table Rock State Park also has a visitor center, but unfortunately it was closed last week. We were able to look through the windows from the outside deck, and it appears to have exhibits on building the dam as well as on the plants and wildlife in the area.

ETA we didn’t see any shows, but we did enjoy the Titanic Museum very much. It focuses on the people on board, crew as well as passengers.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
ETA we didn’t see any shows, but we did enjoy the Titanic Museum very much. It focuses on the people on board, crew as well as passengers.

Thank you for that, we have not been to the titanic museum, sounds like I should. I want to get to the new aquarium also. We've been to Branson maybe 10 times, maybe seen 10% of the stuff there!

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Thank you for that, we have not been to the titanic museum, sounds like I should. I want to get to the new aquarium also. We've been to Branson maybe 10 times, maybe seen 10% of the stuff there!
The Titanic Museum is very well done - very respectful of the individuals. There are exhibits of the sleeping quarters and other facilities for all three classes as well as menus for meals - we learned that the Titanic was considered luxurious even for 3rd class passengers because they didn’t have to bring their own food on board! We bought tickets online for $28 each; could have gotten them much cheaper if we’d attended a timeshare sales presentation!

DJensen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just back from Branson and a few updates from those noted above:

HIKES
Suggest downloading AllTrails app as it will give you location on the trail - great for anywhere you live or travel - free or can pay subscription for more services
Also, take a photo of the trail map when you start as AllTrails app may not be color selected for trail designation
  • Waterfall Trail - beautiful out and back to the waterfall - had to cross the water at a few spots for a bit of adventure
  • Lakeside Forest Wilderness Trail - well marked trails, one section does have over 300 steps (we climbed up, just based on the way we started and ended)
  • Paul & Mary Henning Conservation Area - our favorite hike - did the whole trail system which was just over 5 miles with about 800 feet of elevation change
  • Table Rock State Park - hiked this on 2 different days. We did the Red and Blue loops with White Connector #2 - fun with many sights along the way (creeks, water crossing, etc.) - very well marked aside from one sign post (used All Trails app to help sort it out).
    • Second day, we hiked/walked the paved Lake trail that starts at the visitor center and ends at the marina. Very easy and well traveled with runners and walkers

GOLF
We played Thousand Hills Golf - it is a par 66, but plays harder based on the elevation changes, bunkers and water features. We saved $10 per person by showing our Marriott key. The day we played also cart path only which made for many more steps. I would play it again as it is close and in town.
Buffalo Ridge (part of Big Cedar Lodge) requires tee times 30 days in advance and costs close to $200 for 18 holes - did not play but looks beautiful

SHOWS
We purchased tickets at the Purple House (across from the Veterans Memorial Garden) at a 2-for-1 deal with no hook on timeshare sales or exit. We went to The Haygoods - fun entertainment. After purchase of voucher we need to go the theater and exchange for seats. I think since we did not pay full price we were pushed to the outside seats, but still could see everything just fine. Would have considered a magic show for next option, but we did other things at night.

RESTAURANTS
  • Heroes Restaurant - just opening in April - took the place of Mountain Mike? We enjoyed our food and would go back, was typical sports bar food. Enjoyed the cauliflower dip and Rueben sandwich
  • Gettin' Basted - BBQ joint. Very good also - cheap drinks ($5). Had the buffalo wings and then a burger with pulled pork - would have gone straight pulled pork in hindsight.
  • 7 Arrows Taproom & Downing Street Pub - over in Hollister. Taproom had good selection of beers, looks like pizza "food truck" on weekends. We were there during the week so ordered another Rueben from Downing Street Pub and took it carry-out to enjoy some more beers back at 7 Arrows. Went with the Rueben as it was suggested by a few people at the Taproom
  • Rocco's Pizza - good option for pizza, would have liked a bit more sauce but still tasty. The restaurant is about 15-20 minutes NE of Branson, looks like a double wide trailer converted to restaurant. Very friendly staff.
  • Hurtz Donuts - over the top donut place - very good selection and fresh

Top of the Rock - over the top destination to see at sunset. Costs $10 to enter and then there is valet ($15) or free parking with shuttle. This is the development of Johnny Morris (Bass Pro Shops). For dinner one does want reservations and a big wallet! We sat at the Buffalo Bar and ordered a couple of beers ($7.50 each) and Buffalo Chicken Dip ($16). The grounds are beautiful and one can either take an afternoon guided walking tour or rent golf carts - each option is about $30 per person. We did not do either, but rather saw the sunset over the lake with a bagpiper and cannon volley. For golfers...you can play the 9 hole (par 3) course for only $150 per player!!!

Branson Landing - hourly water show at the waters edge. The landing is also a retail/restaurant/activity development. Many food options and some fun activities. Just up from the landing is the original downtown - we did not go to the 5 & 10 store (been there 60 years).

Wilson's Creek Civil War Battlefield - near Springfield. Great loop with 7 or 8 stops were you can walk around and get "closer to the action". Went in May during COVID so the visitor center was closed, but maps available to self-navigate. Did not realize the second battle of the Civil War occurred in Missouri! Probably about 1 hour from Branson, but well worth it for those that love history.

Hope this helps others who are looking to go to Branson on activities - I would definitely go back for the nature and adventure. We were lucky in timing of early May - town was just starting to come alive for the season. Can only guess how crazy it is from Memorial to Labor Day!!

Last edited:

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
This thread is very helpful. Thanks to all who offered information.

Can someone please help me understand the lay of the land in Branson?

I am Marriott owner but not tied to that brand for a stay in Branson. Are there others situated in a more favourable location? Is the Marriott in a good location?

What are opinions of Surrey Grande Crown or lodges at Fox Hollow?

How does the Welk resort compare to Marriott?

Last edited:

Gloria J

Reaction score
We live in Missouri so we go to area periodically over the years. We don't stay in Branson at all. We stay at Bluegreen timeshares at the Wilderness Club of Big Cedar Lodge. They have cabins and condo type units. You have full use of Big Cedar except the timeshares have their own pools and lazy river. Nice marina, several restaurants, horseback riding, golf, shuffle board, tennis, croquette. Trails, hiking, nature. This resort is fabulous. We rent a boat a couple days. Go up to Branson for a show one or two. We drive to Eureka Springs in Ark at least once. Stop at Persimmon Hill (you will see a big sign with a picture of a bear on it.). Stop for the fresh blue/blackberry picking. We pick up an unbaked blackberry cobbler to cook in the unit. There is a very peaceful chapel on the way called Crown of Thorns. Even if you are not spiritual you should visit. It is a beautiful example of Frank Lloyd Wright type architecture and it is free. The timeshares have shared gas grills and even the studios have a cooktop and microwave. Save at least one day to go to Silver Dollar City. Enjoy.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We live in Missouri so we go to area periodically over the years. We don't stay in Branson at all. We stay at Bluegreen timeshares at the Wilderness Club of Big Cedar Lodge. They have cabins and condo type units. You have full use of Big Cedar except the timeshares have their own pools and lazy river. Nice marina, several restaurants, horseback riding, golf, shuffle board, tennis, croquette. Trails, hiking, nature. This resort is fabulous. We rent a boat a couple days. Go up to Branson for a show one or two. We drive to Eureka Springs in Ark at least once. Stop at Persimmon Hill (you will see a big sign with a picture of a bear on it.). Stop for the fresh blue/blackberry picking. We pick up an unbaked blackberry cobbler to cook in the unit. There is a very peaceful chapel on the way called Crown of Thorns. Even if you are not spiritual you should visit. It is a beautiful example of Frank Lloyd Wright type architecture and it is free. The timeshares have shared gas grills and even the studios have a cooktop and microwave. Save at least one day to go to Silver Dollar City. Enjoy.

To rent the boat what kind of license do you need? Do people kayak on the lake?

I looked at Silver Dollar and saw admission was $74/day. Couldn’t decipher if there were price level options. We wouldn’t want to do the amusement rides. It would be for the pumkin/craft show. That is quite high to pay to visit a craft show.

Gloria J

Reaction score
To rent the boat what kind of license do you need? Do people kayak on the lake?

I looked at Silver Dollar and saw admission was $74/day. Couldn’t decipher if there were price level options. We wouldn’t want to do the amusement rides. It would be for the pumkin/craft show. That is quite high to pay to visit a craft show.
My husband always rents the boats. I think he just uses his driver's license and a major credit card. Call the marina at Big Cedar and see if you can kayak. Table Rock Lake is a Corp of Engineers Lake so it is very pristine and not overly built up. Not a party city atmosphere. Both the pontoons and speed boats are fun.

I don't really remember the cost of Silver Dollar City. But there are lots of timeshare presentations as you come into town that offer discount show and Silver Dollar City tickets. If you are willing to visit one of them, you can probably score some free/cheap SDC tickets.

I don't normally see Big Cedar rental/trades on Tug 2. We check Craigslist in Springfield Mo, St. Louis and KC. You can find most dates available on those sites.

Have fun.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked at Silver Dollar and saw admission was $74/day..
$74 boggles my mind. 30-35 years ago we (family of 5) would go to Silver Dollar City every year. I don't remember the price but it was a whole lot less than $74/day. I don't know the rules today but back then if you arrived after 5 pm, your admission also covered the following day. That way we would get a day and a half for the price of one day...

George