• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Boutght a timeshare and [CJ Timeshares] now says resort made error

JVT

Reaction score
Hello guys and thank you for the hours of great reading and advice! You all are awesome, friendly and wise. This is my first post and hopefully not my last as I purchased my first time share recently. I am now one of you! hehehe

I purchased (resale of course) a TS that was listed as floating. About two weeks later, after paying for it and signing paperwork, they called me today and told me that the resort made a mistake and it was indeed a fixed week (a terrible one at that) and NOT floating as was advertised and on the contract.

Last week and before this incident occurred, I bought a fixed holiday weekend (again resale...thanks to your advice) for the same resort thinking that I can host yearly family reunions there (my first born turned one today and my wife is pregnant and I hope to start a family tradition!). They were purchased from the same company. That week they are telling me is verified as good.

So I paid for two TSs. One went sour and the other one is supposedly good.

It is a company that people here have had positive experiences with according to the forums. I will not disclose their name because I still have faith that they will resolve the situation to my satisfaction.

I told them that they have until Friday to resolve this matter. I didn't make any threats and handled it very professionally but will take this through the proper channels if this doesn't get resolved.

What other advice do you have regarding how they should resolve this matter? I have two days to see what they have to say.

Thanks in advance for your help!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Did you ask the closing company to request an estoppel letter from the resort management during the purchase process to verify exactly what you were buying?

I am quite sure this won't be resolved by Friday - it will take longer than that, but possibly by Friday, they will have some options for you.

I'd ask for:
1) a replacement week that is exactly what you thought you purchased
OR
2) all your money and fees back

They will have to send you other documents to take this deed out of your name with the County Recorder's Office, and the resort. It's will take some time, but they should make an honest effort to show you that they are making progress.

Did you pay with a credit card? If the seller doesn't rectify this in a reasonable amount of time, you may need to dispute it with your credit card company, so make sure you know what the CC's deadline to do that is.

I would not hesitate to post the name of the resort, seller, and closing company on TUG. Then if they perform well, you can give them an enthusiastic recommendation. If not - it will encourage them to take action. ;)

Good luck! :hi:

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
+1 for what Denise said. One disadvantage of buying resale, there's no rescission period. It's up to the buyer to do their due diligence before forking over the funds. That means estoppel letter. This just forces the resort to disclose exactly what is being sold.

Good luck on the seller working with the resort to either get you what you bought, or a refund. Disputing the credit card payment may also apply pressure where it is likely to do the most good.

Good Luck, best wishes and Welcome to TUG!

Jim

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The best they can do is give you your money back. If they don't have the week you want, they can't just produce it.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are the floating weeks at the resort 1 - 52? Possible holiday weeks were only sold as fixed weeks. In that case its a blessing.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it hasnt yet been deeded into your name, just wash your hands and get a refund. If it has, then have them deed it back to them or, as what happened to me in my case, they may ask you to notarize a power of attorney to deed back on your behalf. My seller then resold the week to someone else and transferred everything out of my name to the new owner. And they refunded me the notary fees as well. Took a couple months, but it went fine.

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello guys and thank you for the hours of great reading and advice! You all are awesome, friendly and wise. This is my first post and hopefully not my last as I purchased my first time share recently. I am now one of you! hehehe

I purchased (resale of course) a TS that was listed as floating. About two weeks later, after paying for it and signing paperwork, they called me today and told me that the resort made a mistake and it was indeed a fixed week (a terrible one at that) and NOT floating as was advertised and on the contract.

Last week and before this incident occurred, I bought a fixed holiday weekend (again resale...thanks to your advice) for the same resort thinking that I can host yearly family reunions there (my first born turned one today and my wife is pregnant and I hope to start a family tradition!). They were purchased from the same company. That week they are telling me is verified as good.

So I paid for two TSs. One went sour and the other one is supposedly good.

It is a company that people here have had positive experiences with according to the forums. I will not disclose their name because I still have faith that they will resolve the situation to my satisfaction.

I told them that they have until Friday to resolve this matter. I didn't make any threats and handled it very professionally but will take this through the proper channels if this doesn't get resolved.

What other advice do you have regarding how they should resolve this matter? I have two days to see what they have to say.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Atleast tell us the name of the resort and how much are you paying for them? Maybe you are overpaying and you should wash your hands off from both of these sales: the good one (in your opinion) and the bad one. It is not difficult to overpay in resale also.

JVT

Reaction score
Thank you such for your valuable input. I'm still learning as I go...the hard way...but I guess it is the most effective way.

Well, they promised to get back to me by week's end and they did not. I don't like being promised something and not receiving it. Call me old school, but your word is your bond and I expect you to keep it. The company is CJTimeshares. The person who was supposed to call me Friday but didn't is XXXXX, who I'm sure is a nice young lady, BUT that's not the issue at hand.

CJ Timeshares workers are very nice on the phone. However, being pleasant and getting the job done are two different things.

I am to blame as well. I failed to do my due diligence. I got an estoppel letter and confirmation from the resort on one TS but not on the other...guess which one! Lol. Just my luck. I got so caught up that I forgot to even though I have read here tons of times to do so.

I understand that their error cannot be corrected in two days but at least they should have emailed me back as promised with a proposed course of action. That is not the way to handle business and grow relationships with customers. This is especially true in the day and age of the Internet where one can not only share their negative customer experience but also contact the BBB, state attorney general's office, etc at the click of a mouse.

After failing to reach reolutions with a major national bank and an insurance company in recent years, i've been successful at filing complaints with the proper channels and getting them to fix their wrongs. But that's not a route I want to take. It's time consuming and a hassle. I just want communication. Every body makes errors...that's ok...but it's how they are corrected that shows the real face of the company.

Again, I have faith that this matter will be resolved fairly so I don't have to go through these channels but...really...a phone call or email when promised? I'm not asking for miracles, just the courtesy of contacting me as when you tell me you are.

Hopefully this is handled fairly and promptly so that I can post a happy ending to this thread. I am generous in my praise for good companies but also just as generous with how I voice my dissatisfaction. I hope I can give these guys a good review at the end.

JVT

Reaction score
Btw thanks for your concerns regarding the price paid, as you are correct in that even regsles are overpriced. I have been following the resale history of the property on eBay and also looking at the same listings on craigslsit, TUG, red week, local realtors and various sites. Thanks!

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
You didnt buy anything yet...You entered into a contract to buy something. You dont own it until the settlement day and the new deed is recorded at the county courthouse

You are in that never-never land when the closing company is collecting information and signatures and money. Lots of deals fall apart here, for any number of reasons...(in California they say you are "in escrow"

The best that can happen, and what usually happens is that the property is transferred to the buyer, and the money goes to the seller, and everyone is happy...but if a lien is found, or probate wasn't done correctly 3 owners ago, or maybe the signature of a dead guy is needed. or what the seller says he owns isnt what he really owns,,,,In these cases the title company puts everything back the way they found it and returns any money...."No harm, no foul"

JVT

Reaction score
Yes, thanks, the money indeed is in escrow, like you said "Never Never Land" in real estate or transaction terms.

I just wanted to courtesy of a telephone call back when promised.

I was "sold" a floating unit only to be told after depositing funds via CC that the unit is a fixed, non-prime school week.

With a one year old and a baby on the way, I want to ensure that I get what I paid for...a week where I can ensure my kids and I can travel without my kids getting in trouble by their principal. Also that is a lot of milk money floating in "Never Never Land!"

Of course mistakes happen, and during discovery, outstanding debts, liens etc may be found...but call your customer. Sheesh email and Internet telephony make it free to do so.

Thanks guys

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Its not only the TS, but almost every line of business that even well-meaning employees put fixing mistakes on the back-burner. Its an exception to their usual, daily-routine, and is dealt with as a low-priority problem.

As the saying goes, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." The customer's task is to be annoying enuff that they want it off their desk, but not so annoying that they deliberately bury it under a pile even deeper.

JVT

Reaction score
Yes indeed and this wheel is about to get real squeaky if I don't hear something immediately. I'm surprised that the TS company doesn't monitor this site.

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
I wish you the best in this but I am curious why you are witholding the name of the timeshare company or location of the timeshare.

Perhaps someone else might have had specific experience with the company in the past (with a different closing company) and can provide some insight.

On this site, we talk about the good and the bad. Just my 2 cents.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Yes indeed and this wheel is about to get real squeaky if I don't hear something immediately. I'm surprised that the TS company doesn't monitor this site.

These companies actually do monitor the site. You just didn't put their company name in the title, so for them, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.

This company will likely get you out of the deed with a full refund, but first they will want you to take something in its place, so they don't have to refund. You need to get a refund, so you can bid when you want, on the timeshare you want. Don't settle.

Welcome to TUG.

Last edited:

JVT

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice guys. I did mention the company name in the posts above.

I was giving them the benefit of the doubt prior to me leaving negative feedback.

After all, as we are humans, it may have just been human error and not done out of malice or deception.

BUT...I still haven't had a response 4 days after I was promised I would.

Great advice on not settling...definitely not in my vocabulary!

Ron I don't get your post.

JVT

Reaction score
Cool....I just saw my thread title was edited to include CJ. Thanks. Maybe now there will be action. Thank you to whoever did it ;)

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe yes, maybe no...

Yes, thanks, the money indeed is in escrow...,

Based upon my (one) prior experience with a CJ Timeshares (aka Carefree Journeys) transaction (which ultimately turned out alright after numerous, assorted mistakes and missteps on their part), I believe that the "escrow" / closing entity they utilize may actually just be the very same ownership / people, both located at the very same address --- but perhaps just wearing a "different hat" for that particular part of the transaction process (Timeshare Closing Services is the closing entity). In short, don't necessarily be too comfortable that the "escrow" is in the hands of a disinterested, uninvolved third party entity, as that may very well not be the case here.

My observation / conclusion in my lone dealing with CJ Timeshares was that they seem to acquire their "inventory" from one particular PCC (...and maybe others as well, I'm not at all sure). Accordingly, as with virtually all PCC's, the opportunities and possibilities for factual errors or accidental misrepresentations in ads and listings are created anew in each successive "hand off" in the overall process. That doesn't necessarily mean that they are knowingly dishonest --- just perhaps instead sloppy and inattentive to detail.

My recommendation would be to simply and bluntly insist that they deliver exactly what was advertised in the form of a recorded deed --- or promptly issue a full refund of any and all money paid to date if they can't / won't deliver exactly what was advertised.

P.S. I initially stated (erroneously) that this Orlando, FL entity was in Pennsylvania. That was a typo error on my part, since corrected. I had been momentarily thinking of OC Timeshares and their closing company (Timeshare Title, both of which are located in PA). Actually, having dealt with both OC and CJ, my experiences with each of those two outfits were almost identical --- numerous factual and procedural mistakes on their end, but ultimately resolved satisfactorily when all was said and done.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cj timeshares in in Orlando and the title company is in the same building

Call them...in my experience (and others here on TUG), they bend over backwards to fix any mistakes,

JVT

Reaction score
Thanks Theo. Forgive my ignorance but what is PCC?

Ron, at this time, and as is documented in our email correspondence, the ball is in their court...and they have certainly dropped it by failing to contact me to offer a fair resolution on a date agreed upon.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Theo. Forgive my ignorance but what is PCC?

Ron, at this time, and as is documented in our email correspondence, the ball is in their court...and they have certainly dropped it by failing to contact me to offer a fair resolution on a date agreed upon.

Maybe Im the only guy they worked with to solve a problem. All I can report on is my experience, but this company is the only one of several ebay sellers I have worked with in the last year that I can recommend. And thats because of the way they handled problems

I stand behind my advice, Call them

JVT

Reaction score
Yes, Ron, you are right. I'm sure an open dialogue would help solve the problem.

I attempted to initiate one at the time the error was discovered. A lady by the name of Janet promised to return my call by last Friday. She didn't.

I didn't want to vilify a company or get a worker in trouble, just get a simple mistake straightened out..or show a sincere effort at least. I'm an easy-going and fair guy. They had a window to show sincerity in trying to correct it. They still haven't shown good faith attempts.

But since the issue has been handled poorly, I have to let it out in the open, for the benefit of the members of this forum. Also thanks to the fellow TUGGERs who recommended that I should just disclose the parties involved.

I'm glad you had a good experience with them. That's why I don't want to mess a company's reputation up without giving them a chance to reply...which they still have not.

I'm not saying they're bad (YET)...

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Yes, Ron, you are right. I'm sure an open dialogue would help solve the problem.

I attempted to initiate one at the time the error was discovered. A lady by the name of Janet promised to return my call by last Friday. She didn't.

I didn't want to vilify a company or get a worker in trouble, just get a simple mistake straightened out..or show a sincere effort at least. I'm an easy-going and fair guy. They had a window to show sincerity in trying to correct it. They still haven't shown good faith attempts.

But since the issue has been handled poorly, I have to let it out in the open, for the benefit of the members of this forum. Also thanks to the fellow TUGGERs who recommended that I should just disclose the parties involved.

I'm glad you had a good experience with them. That's why I don't want to mess a company's reputation up without giving them a chance to reply...which they still have not.

I'm not saying they're bad (YET)...

What you are saying about this resale company does not surprise me in the least. You indicated you saw other postings about this company. I hope you noticed that a number of their supporters freely admit their advertisements are causing problems in a number of the transactions they are involved with. They say they fix the mistakes. It does not appear, at this point, that this is happening in your case. If they continue to ignore you I would suggest filing complaints in the state the resort is in and in the state(s) that they are indicating to you they are working out of. I would file with the Better Business Bureaus that have jurisdiction of the Resort and the Company. I would also file with the appropriate state Consumer Protection agencies.

In my opionion, the threads pertaining to CJ Timeshares abslutely warrent a "Buyer Beware" thinking process when dealing with a re-seller that has been known to engage in a least some misleading adverising , especially when it has been reported that a signifcant portion of his inventory is comming from a PCC.

If the Pennsylvania address that are referenced are operating locations for this firm and/or the location of the Resort is in Pennsylvania, it is my understanding the a Real Estate License is required of the selling agent. If this is the case, you can look the person you are working up in the State's data base. COP, Department of State, etc. till you get to the right screen.

Last edited:

JVT

Reaction score
Thank you RR! Those are great suggestions and will indeed report to these agencies if I don't hear anything shortly.