• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bought this morning...want to throw up(2017)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat and so glad I found this thread! We just bought at Westin Nanea on Maui and are going to mail the rescission letter tomorrow. Did they charge you a $795 administrative fee when you bought and refund that too? I got an alert that they already ran a credit check on us since our purchase day.

And did you return the sales materials (bag of paperwork/copies of contracts)? It's so heavy I don't want to fly it home but we also don't want to walk into the sales office to return it and have to talk to the sales people.
They have to refund every penny when you rescind in time and follow the instructions. We usually say to add "Promotional materials to be returned under separate cover" then send their junk back by the cheapest means. We don't want you going to the sales office either.

Glad you found us, and congrats on the wise decision.

Jim

Smithsingeneva

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN (resale)
And did you return the sales materials (bag of paperwork/copies of contracts)? It's so heavy I don't want to fly it home but we also don't want to walk into the sales office to return it and have to talk to the sales people.

I seem to recall that my rescission paperwork said we had to return the paperwork if they requested. They never requested so we never sent it back.

jnbsevy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sandos Royal Elite
Vidanta
HawaiiCollection
We are on vacation in Orlando and our hotel had discount tickets to attend a presentation at the Sheraton Lake Buena Vista. We had no intention of buying, we just wanted the discounted Univeral tickets. But, the presentation made it seem like a no brainer to us... that we could spend $15,000 over 7 years then just pay maintenance fees and get a week or more near Disney every year. He made it seem like our maintenance fees would stay at 700 forever. We bought $37,000points which he said would get us a week-ten days at the resort...can we rescind?

This thread is such an example of the great helping spirit and vast knowledge sharing that we find at TUG. Thanks to all. We wish we had been humble enough, and smart enough, to post that question here with 2 of the 3 vacation club memberships we have bought!

AnaBlam

Reaction score
Ugh we just bought in. Way too past rescind window. I feel pretty stupid now.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ugh we just bought in. Way too past rescind window. I feel pretty stupid now.
Arrg. We hate when this happens. You're not alone. Roughly half of us did the same thing. Stick around. Read. Learn. find out how to make the best of what you bought. Unwise financial move, yeah, probably, but if it doesn't cause you further damage, and you can learn to use and enjoy it and the memories, that's OK. People buy cars that depreciate every day. Timeshares just do it faster. Don't beat yourself up.

Welcome to TUG!

ekinggill

TUG Member
Reaction score
JMHO, but if a villa in Orlando is what you want and that is all you want it for...rent. You can find a nice villa to rent any week of the year. There is a massive over-supply of villas in that market.

Last year I rented a nice Vistana 2BR villa during spring break for $1000 because that offered so much more value than using my own StarOptions for that resort or StarPoints for Swan and Dolphin.

If you buy, one day life will make it where you don't need an Orlando timeshare anymore...and the maintenance bills are going to keep coming anyway and getting rid of it will be hard.

AnaBlam

Reaction score
I at least am happy that we didn't by a huge option so I now know when we want to add points, that there is a much better way to obtain them. TBH if we hadn't bought it, we would continue to deprive ourselves of vacations tat we very much need. It was our first major vacation in 22 years other than camping.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
You have the right attitude. Vistana is one of the best timeshare networks out there. You can augment what you own if you wish, but either way with TUG you will be able to maximize your ownership. Now you will be “forced” to take those vacations you’ve been missing out on. You can’t put a price on experiences you otherwise wouldn’t have had.

AnaBlam

Reaction score
Thank you! For the most part I'm super excited. I can't say hind site doesn't haunt me, but overall we need this and I know I've spent my money more recklessly in other situations. For the most part I'm excited. This pretty much forces us to take the time off we would otherwise give excuses not to.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
This is how we started timesharing. My husband was not a vacation person, yet he was the one who wanted a timeshare. We had to borrow money to pay for it. We were just starting out. Best thing we ever did Vacation wise. We bought where we liked to stay. Got into exchanging II then RCI.
Bought another timeshare week much later in South Africa on recommendation of TUG members, then we really started exchanging. Gave up the first two timeshares a few years ago. Now we have 6 different timeshare weeks, all at places we like to stay. Two of them are RTU and 4 are fixed weeks. Retirement looms in our near future and we hope to enjoy our timeshares for many more years.
Welcome to TUG, the members here have a large variety of information and advice. We are still learning new things!
Silentg

Reaction score
Welcome! :hi:

You can absolutely legally rescind - don't panic.

MORE INFO: https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/faq-rescinding-canceling-a-timeshare-purchase.74493/

After you rescind, come back and talk with us - you can buy on the resale market for pennies on the dollar. I literally got a timeshare at the same resort for free.

Hey DeniseM, my family is very interested in buying a resale but we have no idea where to start our research. Would you just encourage us to scour this site or is there somewhere specific you’d suggest we start?

Reaction score
This is how we started timesharing. My husband was not a vacation person, yet he was the one who wanted a timeshare. We had to borrow money to pay for it. We were just starting out. Best thing we ever did Vacation wise. We bought where we liked to stay. Got into exchanging II then RCI.
Bought another timeshare week much later in South Africa on recommendation of TUG members, then we really started exchanging. Gave up the first two timeshares a few years ago. Now we have 6 different timeshare weeks, all at places we like to stay. Two of them are RTU and 4 are fixed weeks. Retirement looms in our near future and we hope to enjoy our timeshares for many more years.
Welcome to TUG, the members here have a large variety of information and advice. We are still learning new things!
Silentg

————

Hey Silentg,

My family is very interested in getting a timeshare. Is there a specific place on TUG that you’d send us for research purposes?

Thank you in advance!

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
If we keep it, would it be worth it? We would use it for Disney. Is it a total scam or is Sheraton reputable? Should I call our sales guy and ask him questions? I don’t want to ruin the rest of our vacation sitting in the hotel room researching online and being sick to my stomach. I felt so good about it this morning and. From what I’m reading online, none of it is good. The disparity between what he told us and whR I’m reading are like night and day.
You need to recend and buy resale, it's worth it on the resale market

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey DeniseM, my family is very interested in buying a resale but we have no idea where to start our research. Would you just encourage us to scour this site or is there somewhere specific you’d suggest we start?
Start by looking for the 'New to timesharing' forum. In pink at the top of that forum is a ' Questions for newcomers' or similar questionnaire. Answer the questions there, then post it. We will be happy to give you some pointers and guidance.

Welcome to TUG!

Jim

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Look in Marketplace Bargain Deals On TUG. You also could try renting first to see where you might like.
Silentg

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
My family is very interested in getting a timeshare. Is there a specific place on TUG that you’d send us for research purposes?

IMO, your first question should always be, "Where do I most want to travel to?" and that will help you narrow down the choices.

Snowman99

Reaction score
This thread literally saved me $15000+. My wife and I purchased 44,000 vistana flex points yesterday. We had ‘gold elite’ status and were told about booking ‘cheap weeks’ and how great Bonvoy program is. I was feeling sick about it and random googling didn’t turn up much. When I found TUG forums it all seemed good, lots of interest in timeshares etc. Then all my fears were confirmed when I found this thread (while lying in bed unable to sleep!). This morning on the way to the airport we wrote a rescind letter at ups store so hopefully we are all clear. Thanks!!!! Would be great if this info was in the FAQ or newbie info.

bosca418

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-N OF
WKORV IV
This thread literally saved me $15000+. My wife and I purchased 44,000 vistana flex points yesterday. We had ‘gold elite’ status and were told about booking ‘cheap weeks’ and how great Bonvoy program is. I was feeling sick about it and random googling didn’t turn up much. When I found TUG forums it all seemed good, lots of interest in timeshares etc. Then all my fears were confirmed when I found this thread (while lying in bed unable to sleep!). This morning on the way to the airport we wrote a rescind letter at ups store so hopefully we are all clear. Thanks!!!! Would be great if this info was in the FAQ or newbie info.

That's great news! I just left an owners update at the WKV. They were trying to have me purchase 44k flex points for $11k with a bunch of discount bonvoy point coupons.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

Many of us found TUG in time (like us) - unfortunately, too many do not.
Congrats!
Rescind
Research
Resale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renee Farr

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kohala Suites (2 bedroom) 9600 Points
We are on vacation in Orlando and our hotel had discount tickets to attend a presentation at the Sheraton Lake Buena Vista. We had no intention of buying, we just wanted the discounted Univeral tickets. But, the presentation made it seem like a no brainer to us that we could spend $15,000 over 7 years then just pay maintenance fees and get a week or more near Disney every year. He made it seem like our maintenance fees would stay at 700 forever. We bought $37,000points which he said would get us a week-ten days at the resort.

Then, we got back to our hotel and I googled it and the whole first page is all about how it’s a scam and they raise the maintenance fees every year. Does anyone have any good things to say about it? We mainly want to use it to get the family to WDW once or twice a year.

Can we back out or did we just sign our lives away?
I feel your pain! We got sucked in by HGVC years ago and they keep trying to upgrade us to their next level and we just keep fending them off. It is painful indeed. Want to sell in the next year or so and know we will take a huge loss. However, we do not want this handed down to out kids when we die. They won't use it and don't deserve the maintenance fee burden.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I feel your pain! We got sucked in by HGVC years ago and they keep trying to upgrade us to their next level and we just keep fending them off. It is painful indeed. Want to sell in the next year or so and know we will take a huge loss. However, we do not want this handed down to out kids when we die. They won't use it and don't deserve the maintenance fee burden.

Don't fret. Timeshare scammers try to scare owners into thinking that the kids will be forced to take on a timeshare after the parents' death. However, unless you put the kids' name on the deed, developers cannot force heirs to inherit anything that they don't want to inherit, including a timeshare.

https://moneyandmarkets.com/avoid-inheriting-moms-timeshare/

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
We bought 2 weeks at SVVKW for $2500 on eBay. They came with 162000 SO for $2400 MF/yr. We had a Owners Update at WLMR and they told us our equity on the SVVKW is $46k! For some reason that resort is perfect for trade, but not good for rent or staying. We plan to pay the MF and trade into Kierland and Cancun mostly.

You learn a lot from this site. Recind and ask a lot of questions. There are a lot of knowledgable people here!
What did you buy? 81K units? Their MF is only 1200? I have a 2LO SVVKW at 95,700 for 1600 MF. Was thinking of another 95,700 to go with my HRA and SVVKW

wtrjock

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali South
Sheraton Vistana Villages Keywest
Sheraton Vistana Villages Keywest
We bought 2 2br units at SVVKW. We paid $1575 for 1 and $1000 for the other. The 2 weeks are linked on the same deed, so we had to buy both. 81k SO each annual. Maint fees are around $1200 each. We use the 81k SOs to stay in a 2BR for a week in Cancun in October usually or a 1 br for 2 weeks. Haven't ever stayed at SVVKW, but I am sure it is nice.