• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2008] Bought at Massanutten - tell me how stupid I am.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Patri, I agree with you. Perhaps this is just a sales pitch. Of course, TUG members aren't going to go for it.

No "Gold Card" is going to push anyone into buying. The discounts don't add up to $10K for a purchase. :rofl:

jasenj1

TUG Member
Reaction score
What nobody has mentioned here is that all Massanutten owners (resale or developer purchase) have day-use, 20% off of lift tickets, etc. I do not know if that is what is called Gold card.

We are resale buyers, and we get all these benefits, just by showing our resort photo-id.

Now that is a very vital piece of information. You also have use of the two recreation/fitness buildings?

rickandcindy23 said:
No "Gold Card" is going to push anyone into buying. The discounts don't add up to $10K for a purchase.

Well it did me. Sure, it's not worth $10K. But over a lifetime is it worth $3-4K? $1-2K? Does it have non-monetary values of convenience and incentive to go out to the mountains? How do you value that stuff over 20-30+ years for a family of four?

I thought the combination of the "Gold Card" and what looked to be a decent timeshare unit was close enough to part with the $$$. (And at least one person in this thread said they bought from the developer originally and haven't regretted it, despite the overpayment.)

That's why I'm here having this very long and overly analytical conversation. $10K is a lot of money. It's worth spending the time to talk it out and hear from those of you who have played this game for a while.

FWIW, we rescinded :)cheer:). Now we're back to square one.

- Jasen.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
jasen-there are many MAss resales

just surf the web, call and email a few brokers and make some lowball offers--if you are patient, you should be able to get a good every year MAss week for under $3 by this fall---you might also check to see if the Gold Card that someone else has can transfer--if not, you are still ahead of the game, I really think--good luck. Elaine

beanb41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jason a week down track with mixed responses to your initial question, how do you now feel and what are you going to do going forward?

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
RE: Jasen - FWIW, we rescinded - Now we're back to square one.

Being a timeshare owner at Massanutten Resort is an experience that
one will appreciate more each year as time goes by. Perhaps one of the biggest benefits of owning at Massanutten in Virginia is the extensive protective covenants designed to keep the resort/village always green and beautiful.

mammalu

Reaction score
Being a timeshare owner at Massanutten Resort is an experience that
one will appreciate more each year as time goes by. Perhaps one of the biggest benefits of owning at Massanutten in Virginia is the extensive protective covenants designed to keep the resort/village always green and beautiful.

Thanks to the guidance of this Forum we bought, first time through Ebay, a resale an Annual Week, Summer, Woodstone Meadows, 4 Bedrooms for under $6500. That was last November.

We are delighted, as we can drive and we enjoy Massanutten so much. Have been there a few times already. We are already planning our July getaway with family members.

Liliana

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mammalu,

Since you bought resale, do you have the access that those with the gold card seem to have?

I am curious because I am sort of in the same boat as Jasen1 was last week. I bought Willaimsburg plantation and what sold me was the Platinium card, the only difference seems he got all his benefits in writing I don't have the ammenities iin writing. I have in writing that every year I get a BW from II, I have a tri-annual week 16 with $155 annual MF and 2 (1 bedroom units which each sleep 4) for $3990. My week starts in 2010 but until then I get a BW for each year, the internal exchange for $99 with vacation village resorts. They did mention the golf privileges daily with the platinium card (but nothing in writing), which is worth $10K alone. Just curious for future purchase in the resale market..oh and was the previous owner of your TS a gold card member or is that extended to everyone irregardless of mode of purchase.

TIA, Silvia

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am very happy with my original purchase at Summit Massanutten - even though we bought from the developer and we DID pay too much money. It got us into timesharing and RCI, and we love Massanutten. I have bought 2 resales at Massanutten, also. I have just bought a Summit Hillside 4 BR unit for about half of what we paid for our originial 2 BR unit.

We have the gold card - have had it for almost 5 years, and have NEVER used it. We buy the activity card ($99. per week) and between that and the owner's ID card - the gold card we have never even shown. I do think my daughter who lives in Richmond has shown hers a couple times on day trips but I don't know what kind of savings she has gotten.

All owners staying at the resort, not just gold card owners, can use the 2 rec facilities - if you look at the resort website massresort.com it explains all of this "Access to Le Club is granted by showing your Resort ID which is arranged for at check-in" Actual OWNERS (all of them) also have an ownership card -picture ID- which has additional discounts for skiing, waterpark... This is because they are open to the general public, I don't know what the differences would be between anyone just exchanging into the resort and the owners savings would be, but I THINK anyone staying at the resort also has access to the rec centers with a temporary ID for the week. Someone who has exchanged into, but does not own here, will have to answer that question.

My RCI bonus weeks I have NEVER used - we seem to get the same thing with the RCI last calls anyway.

I hope you enjoy Massanutten as much as we do. we have a week booked in June, and another in August, and we just had a week there in October - so obviously we love the place. If you do - then it will be worth what you paid for it - to YOU, and that is all that really matters.

If you can rescind, and choose to - I have sent you a private message.

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is a 2 bed 2 bath floats weeks 1-52 at Eagle Trace at massanutten current bid $100. The ad says you get a unit with a mountain view. If this week sells for more than $600 I would consider waiting as I have seen many weeks sell for $500 or less. If you have to have it, and pay $1000 for this week, you will still have an additional $9000 in the bank (or even more important not missing from your home equity).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eagle-Trace-at-...ryZ15897QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you can't pay cash for this or any week, I would NEVER consider taking out a Home Equity Loan to buy a timeshare!!! Pay cash or wait until you save up the cash. A timeshare is not an investment, and it is definetelly not something that you need bad enough to take out a loan to get.

Here is another week for sale but it doesn't float all of the good weeks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2BR-McGaheysvil...ryZ15897QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is another but it is only every other year and only floats weeks 49 and 50.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-BR-GOLD-CROWN...ryZ15897QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:

jasenj1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jasen a week down track with mixed responses to your initial question, how do you now feel and what are you going to do going forward?

I feel tired. We joined TUG. I plan to do a lot of reading here. Also, our neighbors have ~12 timeshares, so I will go have some long chats with them.

Perhaps, I can pick up a week at Massanutten CHEAP to get the owner benefits. We need to figure out if we want to buy a unit we'll use or trade - probably trade. Our week-long vacations tend to be spent visiting family which is scattered to the corners of the USA.

- Jasen.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
make sure to buy a prime week

I would buy a week that you are happy to use--and make sure it is a prime week--for MAss., that is mostly summer, weeks 26-30 (maybe OK to week 32), and maybe week 52 (Christmas). I would not buy any other "ski" week, as winter weeks can easily be had on RCI rentals for under $400--we live nearby and have thought of going up for a long weekend---and I can "rent" a week from RCI cheaper than just paying for the weekend.
Also, if you are not planning to use at least EOY, I would rethink MAss., as others have reported that it is not a great trader, b/c there is so much supply. If you get a summer/Christmas week, and you are trying to trade for not hard areas, you should be fine.
My parents have a week (not at Mass.) that is probably a similar trader---here is what they can get: Hilton Head in Summer--if they plan 1 year out, Orlando anytime except Christmas, Washington/Oregon Mountains in summer, Branson anytime, Williamsburg anytime, Mass anytime. They cannot get spring carib., winter in Vail/Breckenridge, spring SW Fl.
Also, totally OT--but, since you live in Wllmbg, you might consider a cheap resale week there at a resort that you could have day use privileges. You won't get the owner discount at MAss., but day use of a nice pool, indoor pool in winter, kids crafts and activities might be worth the annual maintenance fee alone. A prime week (summer) would trade similar to Mass. We esp. like Greensprings and Governor's Green for the pools and kids activities. Good luck and best wishes. Elaine

madex

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mammalu,

Since you bought resale, do you have the access that those with the gold card seem to have?

I am curious because I am sort of in the same boat as Jasen1 was last week. I bought Willaimsburg plantation and what sold me was the Platinium card, the only difference seems he got all his benefits in writing I don't have the ammenities iin writing. I have in writing that every year I get a BW from II, I have a tri-annual week 16 with $155 annual MF and 2 (1 bedroom units which each sleep 4) for $3990. My week starts in 2010 but until then I get a BW for each year, the internal exchange for $99 with vacation village resorts. They did mention the golf privileges daily with the platinium card (but nothing in writing), which is worth $10K alone. Just curious for future purchase in the resale market..oh and was the previous owner of your TS a gold card member or is that extended to everyone irregardless of mode of purchase.

TIA, Silvia

Sorry, No gold card was included or mentioned. I know, this summer when I go as an owner, I have to get my Owner ID for additional discounts.
Do not know what are the benefits for being an owner, besides getting hotel rooms at 50%off.

I have family coming from California to stay with us at Massanutten. Looking forward to our July vacation. :wave:

Wohoo!:rofl:

live2vacation

Reaction score
My wife and I are Disney Vacation Club Owners, so we are used to fractional ownership practices.

However, I recently bought a fixed week on eBay for a very very very reasonable price - with use every other year (even) in a 4 BR at Woodstone.

I've looked at all of the photos online, I've looked at the resort, we are about 4 hours away from there.

What have I actually bought?

While I realize that question may sound stupid - I need to know more and I'm not finding all of the information need online.

I know we can trade 1/2 of the unit every other year for a week in a 2BR every year.

Do I need to buy an RCI membership to use this?

It is week 49, so it is a 'low season' at Massanutten. But that week has typically beean a great week for us to vacation - we have been on vacation that week for the last three years.

Are the units clean? Comfortable? Gas fireplaces? Wood?
Has anyone used the onsite spa? (The prices are pretty incredible, or so it seems!)

How are the slopes? What is the average packed base that time of year?

It's close to home, and a great meet up place for both of our extended families - so we are really looking forward to using it.

Tell me more about Massanutten! We will close on it in the next few weeks, and will be able to use it for the first time next December (2012).

I was actually VERY shocked at the price which I was able to buy this week.

The fact that we would drive there and not have to worry about extensive travel is going to give us a great every other year alternative to Florida!

Or every year - when else could I stay? Can I bank a week and book it at any time - or will we ALWAYS be using this timeshare this same exact week?

A little lost really! Anyone want to help me understand?

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
What nobody has mentioned here is that all Massanutten owners (resale or developer purchase) have day-use, 20% off of lift tickets, etc. I do not know if that is what is called Gold card.

We are resale buyers, and we get all these benefits, just by showing our resort photo-id.

I have bought all my Tshares "resail" (pun intended) and all include day use - as an owner you are entitled to it - aren't you?

I've never been treated even slightly "bad" by the resort staff because I bought resale - I don't imagine they even know.

yumdrey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I are Disney Vacation Club Owners, so we are used to fractional ownership practices.

However, I recently bought a fixed week on eBay for a very very very reasonable price - with use every other year (even) in a 4 BR at Woodstone.

I've looked at all of the photos online, I've looked at the resort, we are about 4 hours away from there.

What have I actually bought?

While I realize that question may sound stupid - I need to know more and I'm not finding all of the information need online.

I know we can trade 1/2 of the unit every other year for a week in a 2BR every year.

Do I need to buy an RCI membership to use this?

It is week 49, so it is a 'low season' at Massanutten. But that week has typically beean a great week for us to vacation - we have been on vacation that week for the last three years.

Are the units clean? Comfortable? Gas fireplaces? Wood?
Has anyone used the onsite spa? (The prices are pretty incredible, or so it seems!)

How are the slopes? What is the average packed base that time of year?

It's close to home, and a great meet up place for both of our extended families - so we are really looking forward to using it.

Tell me more about Massanutten! We will close on it in the next few weeks, and will be able to use it for the first time next December (2012).

I was actually VERY shocked at the price which I was able to buy this week.

The fact that we would drive there and not have to worry about extensive travel is going to give us a great every other year alternative to Florida!

Or every year - when else could I stay? Can I bank a week and book it at any time - or will we ALWAYS be using this timeshare this same exact week?

A little lost really! Anyone want to help me understand?

If you are a paid member, you can read reviews about Woodstone or Summit, it would help you a lot to understand about the units, cleanliness, etc...
Also use the search function on BBS for "massanutten", you will find a lot of great info too.
Yes, you need to buy RCI membership to lock-off your 4BR and use 2BR each year. However, week 49 does not have great trading power, and I am not sure if you can pull comparable week with yours. I have never traded my summit unit before, I use it or rent it.
I don't think week 49 is a great week for skiing. They make artificial snows before x-mas week, but I am not sure if they make it before week 49.
Also, Summit is in better location for ski lifts and slopes. Woodstone is nice during summer because it has waterpark near by.
You can see resort map from the site:
www.massresort.com

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think I'd buy this week either. If you already have an account with RCI, you can always for this week for less than maintenance fee if you watch for getaway deals. If you really like Massanutten, spend a little more on a week that floats week 1-52. It will give you more flexibility. You will be able to sell it when you don't want it any more.

Michael123

Reaction score
The wife and I went up to Massanutten to take advantage of their marketing dollars - we had no intention of buying. This was about our sixth getaway weekend on timeshare developers' dimes. We live about 3 1/2 hours from Massanutten, near Williamsburg.

They offered us Woodstone - Casa de Campo, new construction, occupancy in 2010, with 2 RCI bonus weeks annually until the unit is finished and one annual RCI bonus week thereafter, it is an even year unit, week 24, 2 bedroom lock-off, sleeps 8; maintenance fee is $340 every two years. They also added in their "Gold Card" which essentially gives you usage rights to the resort facilities - rec centers, pools, the Western Slope (their wilderness area), and discounts on lift tickets, hotels, golf, and a few other things.

The "Gold Card" is what hooked me. We take one or two ski weekends a year. Being able to get 1/2 off on a hotel - or even book a getaway weekend condo - and 20% off on lift tickets, plus the access to all the amenities seemed like a big enough carrot to get me to part with ... $10,000!:wave:

As a pure timeshare unit, I know we paid way too much. As a trader we paid way too much; as a unit we'll use we paid way too much. But, as membership to the resort, and as an incentive to get our butts out there to use it, I feel we did "OK". Not great, but unlike all the other places we've been (Florida, Williamsburg, VA Beach) Mass. offers activities and facilities we will take advantage of throughout the year. That is why I bought it - to force/encourage us to go out to the mountains more often and do the things that Mass. has to offer - oh yeah, and we're part of the timeshare cult now, too. I am much more outdoorsy than my wife, and I hope/expect that having a restaurant, heated pool, etc. over the hill will allow us to do more camping (on the Western Slope) than I've been able to do so far.

You may now scold me for paying way too much and being a fool. :hysterical:

- Jasen.
Me too I'm hoping they go bankrupt cuz even if you die they go after your family to get the money for the maintenance fees

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Me too I'm hoping they go bankrupt cuz even if you die they go after your family to get the money for the maintenance fees
They actually won't. If your family members aren't on the deed when you pass the executor would contact the resort and say no one will accept the timeshare and the estate is being closed out and there is no money to continue to pay MF's. I haven't heard of any resort refusing to accept a deed back in those situations.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I read this thread before buying my Massanutten resale unit. Warning to those reading it now: things have changed a lot, so this thread is mostly useful for historical info. The gold card would be nice, but not nice enough for me to make a developer purchase.

schoolmarm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA, Bali Hai, and National Harbor; Summit at Massanutten
The last couple of years they have offered the Gold Card with a discounted (deed takeback or foreclosure) retail purchase. You only find out about what is on the list from the manager that you see after your salesperson is finished. What is on their list usually only lasts for a day or two because someone will buy it or it will go into the regular inventory. These can be a good deal.

I would do this if I lived nearby for the Gold Card and access to the rec center, etc.

Bought my Summit 4-BR annual floating week for $1.25 on eBay. I have used 1/2 of it and deposited the rest in RCI, and now use it as a PIC with my Wyndham. I enjoyed staying there twice for Thanksgiving week. They also sometimes have bonus weeks in RCI that they will give you when you deposit and/or pay your MFs early. I think that I got 13-18 TPUs for the each bonus week.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
The last couple of years they have offered the Gold Card with a discounted (deed takeback or foreclosure) retail purchase. You only find out about what is on the list from the manager that you see after your salesperson is finished. What is on their list usually only lasts for a day or two because someone will buy it or it will go into the regular inventory. These can be a good deal.

Is there an example of how affordable such a purchase may be?

There are two advantages to a Gold Card: 1) access to the facilities (pools, rec centers, etc. year round) and 2) discount (20%) off many things at the resort including lift tickets.

Anyone that owns a Mountainside Villas unit can get an "ownership card" for free that gives year-round access to the facilities. So, buying Mountainside resale would be the affordable way to do that.

I would really like the 20% discount considering how much I spend there. But there is no way I can justify a developer purchase to get one.

schoolmarm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA, Bali Hai, and National Harbor; Summit at Massanutten
I think that the "discounted" units were in the $4,000-$6,000 range for an annual contract. I was only looking at 3BR+ because of the PIC with Wyndham is highest with a 3 BR. That seemed like a good price point if you lived nearby. You could easily spend that for a gym/rec center membership over several years.