• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Boston Custom House - unit request

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our big trip to Boston is coming right up. What recommendations can you regulars give in terms of unit requests (e.g. location, view and/or specific unit #) ?

TY!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't think you can go wrong with any view. Higher floors will be better, but as you go even higher, the rooms do get smaller. We liked our Harbor view when we went many years ago. I beleive someone (perhaps @jme) had an old thread here somewhere showing the different views.

Norcal5

TUG Member
Reaction score
We got a fairly high floor, north facing view, which viewed the northern part of the harbor. It was beautiful, I would have also loved the east facing view (harbor). I didn’t like the south facing view, a building was right in front of it.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I don't think you can go wrong with any view. Higher floors will be better, but as you go even higher, the rooms do get smaller. We liked our Harbor view when we went many years ago. I beleive someone (perhaps @jme) had an old thread here somewhere showing the different views.

Here are several posts with photos (on page 2 of the thread cited below) from various people and myself, showing North, South, and West views from Custom House units.
Scroll the whole page.

The views are wonderful, especially N and S......I didn't diligently search for East views of Boston Harbor,
but most views online from Custom House have that view, so it's an easy one to find, and to most guests it's the most popular.

We are always out and about during the day, so unless you stay in the unit most of the day, an east view is beautiful but not fully enjoyed.
Of course it's mostly dark at night except for the lights on the other side of the water....therefore, imho, the nighttime views
that are more enjoyable are those to the North and to the South, where the North End (N) and City Skyline (S) views are spectacular.
We particularly like the South city views which are featured in my post. Those buildings are awesome through the windows......
At Christmastime, the views NW toward Quincy Market & Faneuil Hall are amazing because you can see the Christmas tree all lit up below in the square.....very special indeed!!!!

Last edited:

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
Custom House is my favorite timeshare, and we go once or twice every year. It's about a historic building, very nice rooms, great location, easy subway access, a well-run and friendly property, great food, and so much to do. The views are unique and wonderful. Watch for available rentals on Redweek as they are quite reasonable when they come up.

Some of our favorite visits have been with grand kids. One boy, about 9, must have accumulated 10 to 15 junior ranger certificates and badges one year. (I remember because we had to help him with the tests.) He still talks about that trip - at age 22 now.

Oh, I forgot Quincy and the John Adams properties, the John F. Kennedy facilities, and the Red Sox. Pick the oldest guide if you go on a tour of Fenway Park and go when it's slow - those guys know all the neat history and stories. Ride the subway to a game and watch the kids and their excitement.

Last edited:

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some of our favorite visits have been with grand kids. One boy, about 9, must have accumulated 10 to 15 junior ranger certificates and badges one year. (I remember because we had to help him with the tests.) He still talks about that trip - at age 22 now.
What a wonderful experience these 'timeshares' provide to families? Our kids are now young adults and we have had so many experiences together with them growing up due to our TS ownerships.

Reactions: jme

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
TY guys. Crossing our fingers now - I just responded to the CH Pre-Arrival's email with a request for mid-level north facing unit.

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
TY guys. Crossing our fingers now - I just responded to the CH Pre-Arrival's email with a request for mid-level north facing unit.
Suggestion, go higher - Ask for a high floor, north or harbor facing unit. Both are wonderful.

Enjoy. Don't miss Mike's Pastry and the walk there. It's about the experience.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
We enjoyed the CH walking tour of the north end foods. They took us for pizza, hero, gelato and Bova pastries. The guide gave us some local history, and it was very inexpensive. We also took advantage of the wonderful evening activities - martini tastings, beer tasting, clam chowder contest, folk music, etc. Plus they have lobby happenings - root beer floats, cookies, trail mix, etc.

Our first time there, they gave a stuffed lobster to each child. Last September, they said they were out. Maybe they will have them in stock again in time for your kids.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
The largest units in the building are on the 10th and 11th floors. Facing east (waterfront) is my favorite.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggestion, go higher - Ask for a high floor, north or harbor facing unit. Both are wonderful.

Enjoy. Don't miss Mike's Pastry and the walk there. It's about the experience.
Yep Mike's got on my list months ago!
Based on reading, I asked for floor 10 or 11. I like a larger unit. Are you thinking the view even higher up is better?

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
Based on reading, I asked for floor 10 or 11. I like a larger unit. Are you thinking the view even higher up is better?
We were in unit 1010 twice. It was a nice unit, but the view was of the building across the street.

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Winger - I"m excited for your visit. We always ask for a room on floors well above the 10th floor. The units are quite large, and you increase the prospect of a view "over nearby buildings. The following may help you: "5 rooms" per floor for all floors 5 thru 16. "4 rooms" per floor on floors 17, 18 and 19.

My requests are always for the highest floor available with the view I want.

We bought at Custom House in 2007 and find new fun things to do every year. Make sure you take some of the walking tours offered by the resort. Also, check out the Underground Railroad Museum and the stories about this. The Park Service tours and exhibits are also fun. Rent a car and go out to see Lexington and Concord and things on the perimeter. Buy a week long subway pass (about $22) which will get you from the Airport to Custom House and also gets you all over Boston including down to Quincy for the John Adams, John Quincy Adams homes and library. Sorry to rattle on but, as mentioned, this resort is our favorite of all we own at Marriott. It's way above any other "Pulse" resort and only 84 rooms. It's got Location, Location, Location; and great things nearby.

We'll be there in June and likely back again in September.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I agree - I would ask for the highest floor available, facing the harbor. We had a fantastic stay at this resort last fall - Boston is amazing!

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree - I would ask for the highest floor available, facing the harbor. We had a fantastic stay at this resort last fall - Boston is amazing!
I would respectfully disagree. We found having to swap elevators to get to the highest floors annoying and the tiny windows were something of a letdown compared to those on the mid-high floors. But I agree that the Custom House and Boston are amazing!

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

Try Modern Pastry...across the street from Mike's.
We've been to all of them, and we like Modern the best. They have a very nice sitting area with about a dozen tables which look thru the big window to the street,
and it's awesome to sit and enjoy the many delicious treats while people-watching. It's one of our favorite "activities" on Hanover Street.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
How high does the first elevator go?

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would respectfully disagree. We found having to swap elevators to get to the highest floors annoying and the tiny windows were something of a letdown compared to those on the mid-high floors. But I agree that the Custom House and Boston are amazing!
I think there are only 4 units above the 19th floor. Two on each of floors 21 and 23 - they are different and pretty neat but difficult to get. Other floors above 19 are the activity center, a storage floor, a game room/laundry floor - clock floor, an exercise floor, and 26 is the Observation deck.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try Modern Pastry...across the street from Mike's.
We've been to all of them, and we like Modern the best. They have a very nice sitting area with about a dozen tables which look thru the big window to the street,
and it's awesome to sit and enjoy the many delicious treats while people-watching. It's one of our favorite "activities" on Hanover Street.
We have already put M&M (Mike's and Modern) on our list to try. For some reason, the pastry places got on the list first (even before the Lobster Roll places like James Hook)!

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
We have already put M&M (Mike's and Modern) on our list to try. For some reason, the pastry places got on the list first (even before the Lobster Roll places like James Hook)!
Make it a trifecta, and add Bova's bakery to your pastry list as well. Modern, Mike's, and Bova's are all within 3 blocks of each other. Can't go wrong with any of them, but Mike's is my favorite.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Make it a trifecta, and add Bova's bakery to your pastry list as well. Modern, Mike's, and Bova's are all within 3 blocks of each other. Can't go wrong with any of them, but Mike's is my favorite.
OK Bova on the list! TY!
BM&M

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
It's been a couple of years since we've been to Boston, but at the time I know Mike's was cash only (no cards). Can't remember about Modern and Bovas......Be prepared to have cash on hand (there is an ATM/bank across the street from Mike's).

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's been a couple of years since we've been to Boston, but at the time I know Mike's was cash only (no cards). Can't remember about Modern and Bovas......Be prepared to have cash on hand (there is an ATM/bank across the street from Mike's).
TY for the heads up. Esp since The Pandemic, I've not used cash for a long time.

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
A while back, we were in line at Mike's and this couple was in front of us. The wife was making sure the husband knew exactly what to get, then she left. The husband told us they were locals, and she was headed to Modern as they like the cannoli's best at Mike's, but the Lobster Tails (https://acaseofthemunchies.wordpress.com/2017/05/15/lobster-tail-at-modern-pastry-a-foodie-landmark/) best at Modern. Why compromise when you can divide and conquer. ;-)

Sort of like the tastes great/less filling commercials....but in this case.... tastes great/more filling!!!

Last edited: