• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Boston and cape cod

heatherw

Reaction score
Amazingly we have managed to get a week in Boston via II!! By conincidence it came the day after i was moaning about II saying that it was no longer a useful system etc. etc
We now have this fab holiday booked, 4 nights in NY, then 6 nights in cape cod (staying in hyannis) and then the week of 29th July in Boston.

I would welcome help with... What is the best way to get from NY to Cape cod?
Should we hire the car in NY and take it throughout our holiday, then leave it at boston airport or take the train/bus to cape cod and then hire there and drive to boston or only have the car in cape cod?

Any recommendations for places to eat in cape cod, i already found some stuff on the forum about boston but new stuff welcome too.

I still can't believe we have managed to get this - so happy:banana:

Thanks

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
A lot depends on how long you have between checkout in NYC and checkin on Cape Cod. If you drive it's 250 miles and 4-5 hours with normal traffic and no stops on the major roadway I-95. Not the most scenic route but not awful either.

If you take the train (Amtrak) you would go to Providence RI (PVD) and rent a car there to get to Cape Cod. Trip ranges from 3 to 5 hours and $50 to $200 PP depending on what type of service you want. The express trains do not allow checked baggage. Then you would rent a car and it's about 1.5 hours 80 miles to Barnstable. The route is very scenic.

You could also fly to PVD from New York. Most flights are about $200 PP and they take 3 to 5 hours with stops included. There is one direct flight that's 55 minutes and a little over $500 PP.

You could also drive all the way out to Orient Point on Long Island and take the ferry New London but that's a long trip and would be best if you stayed a night on the East End in wine country.

I think your best bet is the train to PVD and then rent a car. It will be a nightmare for you to try to drive out of Manhattan if you are not somewhat familiar with the place. Also we correctly drive on the right side of the road which adds another complication in heavy city traffic.:p

Last edited:

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add that whatever mode you choose you will need a car on the Cape to explore and just get around. The mansions in Newport would make a great day trip as would a ferry to Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket. Drop the car back in PVD and take the train to Boston as you definitely won't need one there.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Heartiest congratulations on the Boston trade. You will have a blast.

I got one for October 3 years ago for Custom House, and it served to solidify my love affair with the city of Boston (we had used rewards points for a stay at Long Wharf Hotel the previous year). I was similarly concerned that a trade wouldn't happen but it did.

Your trip sounds fantastic. I'll let the locals help you with your transportation options, but I just wanted to celebrate your acquisition along with you. Lots to see and do. Wish it was me, but we'll be back real soon.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I think your best bet is the train to PVD and then rent a car. It will be a nightmare for you to try to drive out of Manhattan if you are not somewhat familiar with the place.

I agree....driving in and around NYC (and even 95 through CT) is a pain. Take the Amtrak to Providence, and keep the stress level to a minimum. You are on vacation!!!

BTW...sounds like a fun trip.

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I agree....driving in and around NYC (and even 95 through CT) is a pain. Take the Amtrak to Providence, and keep the stress level to a minimum. You are on vacation!!!

BTW...sounds like a fun trip.

Another tip for you after Cape Cod return the rental car to Providence Airport and take the commuter train that runs from the airport to South Station or Back Bay in Boston, you will avoid all the traffic on the expressway. And you won't need a car downtown Boston!
Silentg

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another tip for you after Cape Cod return the rental car to Providence Airport and take the commuter train that runs from the airport to South Station or Back Bay in Boston, you will avoid all the traffic on the expressway. And you won't need a car downtown Boston!
Silentg

Great idea. A lot easier.

For anyone not familiar with this, it is the MBTA commuter rail (T F Green stop), not to be confused with Amtrak (Providence). Both end up in Boston's South Station.

The airport is listed as PVD = Providence, but is located in Warwick, about 9 miles away from Providence itself. Very confusing.

Here is the schedule: http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/lines/?route=PROVSTOU

-

Last edited:

BobG7734

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Custom House; St. Kitts; Waiohai(Poipu); Maui
Other options are to fly from NYC (JFK) to Hyannis...JetBlue has some inexpensive midweek flights; rent a car in Hyannis for touring the Cape and then take the Plymouth & Brockton (P&B) bus to Boston...a 1 1/2 - 2 hour trip to South Station (which is a couple blocks from the Custom House

CCR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
NCV, Worldmark
We did this trip not to long ago. We flew into JFK explored NYC for 3-4 days using the subway for all transportation, then we took the train to Providence where we picked up a car and drove to Cape Cod. We stayed there for about 5-6 days. You definitely need a car while there. We drove to Plymouth and Salem then dropped off the car at the Boston airport and shuttled to a hotel to explore Boston for 3 days. You don't need a car there either.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
So the options are all pretty much covered by now.

Rent car in NY, return in?
Train to Providence rent car.
Peter Pan also do a bus to Providence and a connection to the cape on Plymouth and Brocton.

Here is my suggestion depending on how much you like or want to drive.

Rent a car from NYC or Stamford (metro north and a cheaper rental) enterprise has good one way rates to the cape.
Drive to the cape. Easy on 95 from stamford. Not hard on west side highway and 95 of if you have GPS / SatNav WSH>Hudson Bridge>Saw Mill>Hutchinson>Merritt>95. Pretty drive.
Return car to PTown.
Ferry to BOS.

heatherw

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, that is really useful info. Just one more question, if weget the train do we need to book in advance? I know here in the uk journeys are so much more expensive when left until the last minute

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't think you have to book in advance as Amtrak is a commuter line on your segment and if you travel in the morning or mid-day the traffic should be light in your direction. I don't know if they offer advance purchase discounts but here's their website,

http://www.amtrak.com/home

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't think you have to book in advance as Amtrak is a commuter line on your segment and if you travel in the morning or mid-day the traffic should be light in your direction. I don't know if they offer advance purchase discounts but here's their website,

http://www.amtrak.com/home

Jim,

Need to correct your suggestion.
The commuter rail line is MBTA.
2 different lines. Not the same.
Amtrak does not stop in Warwick where the airport is.
Amtrak should be booked ahead, but you can pay at the station and hope there are seats.
MBTA commuter does not. Pay at station or onboard. MBTA stops at TF Green airport.
Amtrak is not the commuter rail, but there are some who do commute on it to Providence and Boston and beyond.

I live here and take Amtrak all the time to/from South Station to NYP going through R.I. all the time.
I take the MBTA commuter rail on another line, but am very familiar with the different lines.

It's confusing, but to recap:
MBTA commuter rail has a stop at the airport in Warwick, 9 miles from Providence.
Amtrak stops in Providence, but not in Warwick.
Two separate lines that share part of a rail system, but not all stops. They both terminate in Boston at one end.
Please see stops on Amtrak.com and stops on the MBTA link that I posted yesterday.

Last edited:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, that is really useful info. Just one more question, if weget the train do we need to book in advance? I know here in the uk journeys are so much more expensive when left until the last minute
You should book Amtrak.

Each train has fair buckets of seats and as they fill the price goes up. Thus last minute is expensive.

Acela is the business / first only train and more expensive.

East Coast regional is the standard / business. It often has sales so watch the website. Sign up for offer emails.

Business on The regional is often a low cost upgrade. May be worth it. Often on the NY Albany line it can be $20.

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
If you rent from Alamo, Budget, or Avis, you don't have to return the car to Logan airport. Instead, those companies have a satellite location about two blocks from the Custom House that stay open until 6 pm, very convenient.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim,

Need to correct your suggestion.
The commuter rail line is MBTA.
2 different lines. Not the same.
Amtrak does not stop in Warwick where the airport is.
Amtrak should be booked ahead, but you can pay at the station and hope there are seats.
MBTA commuter does not. Pay at station or onboard. MBTA stops at TF Green airport.
Amtrak is not the commuter rail, but there are some who do commute on it to Providence and Boston and beyond.

I live here and take Amtrak all the time to/from South Station to NYP going through R.I. all the time.
I take the MBTA commuter rail on another line, but am very familiar with the different lines.

It's confusing, but to recap:
MBTA commuter rail has a stop at the airport in Warwick, 9 miles from Providence.
Amtrak stops in Providence, but not in Warwick.
Two separate lines that share part of a rail system, but not all stops. They both terminate in Boston at one end.
Please see stops on Amtrak.com and stops on the MBTA link that I posted yesterday.

I am a little confused. Are you saying you can get an MBTA commuter rail from Penn Station. I didn't think that service was available. As far as I know Amtrak is the train service the OP would get from Penn to Providence. After that he could return the car in Providence and take Amtrak or the MBTA or drive it to Boston and drop it there.

I think the confusion stems from my using PVD as shorthand for Providence. In pilot speak it is, for the airport, but it is also the identifier for the Amtrak station in Providence.

I did misspeak about Amtrak being the commuter service out of Penn, that's Metro North.

BobG7734

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Custom House; St. Kitts; Waiohai(Poipu); Maui
I still think that the easiest thing for someone from out of the country and not familiar our "user unfriendly" transportation system is to fly (jet blue) JFK - Hyannis; rent a car in Hyannis and then take the P&B bus to Boston (or drive if adventerous).

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a little confused. Are you saying you can get an MBTA commuter rail from Penn Station. I didn't think that service was available. As far as I know Amtrak is the train service the OP would get from Penn to Providence. After that he could return the car in Providence and take Amtrak or the MBTA or drive it to Boston and drop it there.

I think the confusion stems from my using PVD as shorthand for Providence. In pilot speak it is, for the airport, but it is also the identifier for the Amtrak station in Providence.

I did misspeak about Amtrak being the commuter service out of Penn, that's Metro North.

It is confusing, isn't it ? My explanation should really confuse things even more. :D

My response was in reply (and in agreement) to Silentg's suggestion of driving from the Cape and then returning the rental car to PVD. Then taking the 45 min. commuter rail trip into Boston South Station instead of driving from the Cape into Boston.

It sounds circuitous, but being British and driving onto the S.E. expressway and into Boston can be daunting if not downright dangerous. I do it weekly from the Cape and it can be white knuckle driving depending on the time of day.

Yes, PVD is the TF Green Airport, but it's 9 miles from Providence in Warwick, RI . Yes, it is commonly known as Providence Airport instead of TF Green. Just like Boston Airport is called Logan Airport, but at least it's in Boston.

PVD is not on the Amtrak Providence line. It's on the MBTA commuter rail to Boston that leaves PVD in Warwick, goes through Providence and ends in Boston.

You have to live here for a long time...............

-

Last edited:

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
They could also drop the car off in Hyannis when finished (would find out the charge first) and then take the bus from Hyannis to Boston (South Station).

http://www.p-b.com/schedules.html

Whoopsie, I did not see rcgrogan's post until now (6:06 pm). Yes, the P & B bus might be the best way from the Cape to Boston.

-

-

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is confusing, isn't it ? My explanation should really confuse things even more. :D

My response was in reply (and in agreement) to Silentg's suggestion of driving from the Cape and then returning the rental car to PVD. Then taking the 45 min. commuter rail trip into Boston South Station instead of driving from the Cape into Boston.

It sounds circuitous, but being British and driving onto the S.E. expressway and into Boston can be daunting if not downright dangerous. I do it weekly from the Cape and it can be white knuckle driving depending on the time of day.

Yes, PVD is the TF Green Airport, but it's 9 miles from Providence in Warwick, RI . Yes, it is commonly known as Providence Airport instead of TF Green. Just like Boston Airport is called Logan Airport, but at least it's in Boston.

PVD is not on the Amtrak Providence line. It's on the MBTA commuter rail to Boston that leaves PVD in Warwick, goes through Providence and ends in Boston.

-

Yes, it is confusing to most people so that's why I decided to stay out of it:hysterical:

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score

-

From the Amtrak website;

Providence, RI (PVD)
Station Building (with waiting room)
100 Gaspee Street
Providence, RI 02903

PVD is the identifier for the main airport in Providence and also the Amtrak railroad station in Providence. I'm not aware that the MBTA gives their stops station identifiers.

Boston has the same identifiers for their airport and main Amtrak station also, BOS.

Anyway we can both agree on suggestions in my post #3 and silents's post # 6.

None of this helps out the OP which is why I put a link to Amtrak in post # 12.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
From the Amtrak website;

Providence, RI (PVD)
Station Building (with waiting room)
100 Gaspee Street
Providence, RI 02903

PVD is the identifier for the main airport in Providence and also the Amtrak railroad station in Providence. I'm not aware that the MBTA gives their stops station identifiers.

Boston has the same identifiers for their airport and main Amtrak station also, BOS.

Anyway we can both agree on suggestions in my post #3 and silents's post # 6.

None of this helps out the OP which is why I put a link to Amtrak in post # 12.

Yes, confusing. PVD = Providence's airport (correct name = T F Green Int'l Aiport in Warwick, RI) as well as the Amtrak stop in Providence.
Too bad that Amtrak does not make the PVD-Airport stop.

I think the OP may want to change plans for Orlando (MCO) at this point.
Of course, MCO is the old sign for McCoy AFB. Would have been a lot easier as ORL.

Don't get me started.....

-

Last edited:

Joe33426

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove at Yarmouth, Star Island, La Belle Maison, Grand Desert, and Bali Hai Villas
Other options are to fly from NYC (JFK) to Hyannis...JetBlue has some inexpensive midweek flights; rent a car in Hyannis for touring the Cape and then take the Plymouth & Brockton (P&B) bus to Boston...a 1 1/2 - 2 hour trip to South Station (which is a couple blocks from the Custom House

I think that this is really good advice for the OP.

If I were going to do this trip, I'd take the subway to JFK, rent a car at JFK, drive to Hyannis, return the car at Logan, subway to Custom House. But, I've driven those roads many times. But if the OP is okay with driving with navigation or is familiar with driving in a city, the trip from JFK to I-95 isn't that bad, much less stress than driving through Manhattan.

We have a trip to Custom House Thanksgiving week and we were originally going to fly to avoid paying the valet fee, then we were going to take the bus, then I was going to try parking at a rail station. It's just not worth all those transfers and time commuting. We're going to pay the valet fee, beside we have family to visit.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.

-
We found this out the hard way we bought a ticket to ride the Amtrack thought it was stopping at TF Green station. We stood there bags in hand watched it zoom thru the station. Luckily, the commuter T train showed up and we got on and on our way. We were given a credit for Amtrack. But was very upsetting to see that Amtrack speed away!:wave: