• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Booking WKORVN at 8 month mark

TJALB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts International/Sheraton:
Kaanapali Beach Club, HGV-Max
Westin/Ventana/Marriott-Bonvoy:
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas NORTH
I purchased a resale 2 Bdrm lock off at WKORVN. It is annual usage but, want to go every other year so we can save staroptions to take kids. Being new to Vistana I’m learning that banked options can only be used to book 8 months in advance even if booking at my home resort, instead of 12 months in advance like current options. How likely is it that I will be successful in booking a June/July reservation at the 8 month mark? I’m a little disappointed that I can‘t book using both the banked staroptions and current staroptions. Live and learn I guess. We currently own several weeks with Diamond InternatIonal and they let us use banked points to book 12 months in advance. I’m in the process of purchasing my 2nd 2 Bdrm lockoff at the same property; WKORVN. Wondering how much of a problem booking is going to be.
Thanks to all who help answer my question. You’ve all been very helpful throughout the years I’ve been a member of TUG.

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA
If you book right at midnight ET 8 months out you stand a reasonable chance (seconds count, so be prepared). I recommend you open your search to Nanea and WKORV and include all unit sizes in your search. At both WKORV and WKORVN all of the two bedrooms are lock offs. A lot of people only want the one bedroom side, so if you could use one or two studios vs. a two bedroom, it increases your odds greatly. For an actual two bedroom, your best odds are at Nanea since they have lots of them and they are not lock off units.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TJALB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you book right at midnight ET 8 months out you stand a reasonable chance (seconds count, so be prepared). I recommend you open your search to Nanea and WKORV and include all unit sizes in your search. At both WKORV and WKORVN all of the two bedrooms are lock offs. A lot of people only want the one bedroom side, so if you could use one or two studios vs. a two bedroom, it increases your odds greatly. For an actual two bedroom, your best odds are at Nanea since they have lots of them and they are not lock off units.

Thanks for the Info. Do you know how Nanea compares to WKORVN?

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA
Each resort has it’s strengths so it comes down to a matter of personal preference. Nanea is the newest so it is the most contemporary. There are some rooms that have parking lot views, which WKORV also has, but not WKORVN. Except for ocean front, most rooms have minimal if any view of the ocean. As far as owning goes, the biggest issue is that there are no lock-offs and only a small number of one bedrooms. And the one bedrooms are like the two bedroom but missing the nice master bedroom/bathroom. But if it where you find availability, I would not hesitate at all staying there.

TJALB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

How is the 8 months calculated? Would you mind giving me an example. Thanks again for your help.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Studios are much easier to book than one or two bedroom units. So my suggestion would be to use the one bedroom side during your use year (which you will book at 12 months), bank the studio StarOptions, and then use the 67100 studio StarOptions for a studio or six nights in a one bedroom the following year.

Nanea will be problematic; there are no studios and not many one bedroom units. WKORV has view issues (many "island view" units face the parking lot) and is definitely a second choice at the 8 month mark.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
How is the 8 months calculated? Would you mind giving me an example. Thanks again for your help.
If you want to reserve a unit starting on July 20, you should be online at midnight (EDT) on July 20 the prior year.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I purchased a resale 2 Bdrm lock off at WKORVN. It is annual usage but, want to go every other year so we can save staroptions to take kids. Being new to Vistana I’m learning that banked options can only be used to book 8 months in advance even if booking at my home resort, instead of 12 months in advance like current options. How likely is it that I will be successful in booking a June/July reservation at the 8 month mark? I’m a little disappointed that I can‘t book using both the banked staroptions and current staroptions. Live and learn I guess. We currently own several weeks with Diamond InternatIonal and they let us use banked points to book 12 months in advance. I’m in the process of purchasing my 2nd 2 Bdrm lockoff at the same property; WKORVN. Wondering how much of a problem booking is going to be.
Thanks to all who help answer my question. You’ve all been very helpful throughout the years I’ve been a member of TUG.

Why didn’t you buy two EOY?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
As suggested above if you really wanted 2x2BR EOY it would have been best to purchase 2x2BR EOY but as we all know on here, hindsight is a wonderful thing once you get to know the nuances of SO. At least you made the wise decision to buy resale.

Getting a June/July reservation for a 2BR at the 8 month mark could prove difficult and as someone said, to have any chance you will have to be online at midnight (9pm PST) to stand any chance. I wouldn't hold out any hope whatsoever of getting the Sat-Sat 4th of July week in a 2BR at the 8 month mark. For 2022, all the 2BR IV at WKORVN had gone by 12:10am at the 12 month mark.

MommaBear

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want March 8, you book July 8. If you want February 12, you book June 12. It's truly 8 months before, you don't need to count the days in-between

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
If you want March 8, you book July 8. If you want February 12, you book June 12. It's truly 8 months before, you don't need to count the days in-between
Yeah it's a little bizarre, if you want February 28, June 28. But if you want March 1 you wait three days until July 1. June 29 & 30 are the loneliest days on the booking calendar. o_O

Grandma2016

Reaction score
Studios are much easier to book than one or two bedroom units. So my suggestion would be to use the one bedroom side during your use year (which you will book at 12 months), bank the studio StarOptions, and then use the 67100 studio StarOptions for a studio or six nights in a one bedroom the following year.

Nanea will be problematic; there are no studios and not many one bedroom units. WKORV has view issues (many "island view" units face the parking lot) and is definitely a second choice at the 8 month mark.
If you are persistent and somewhat flexible and chose all hawaii search options you will probably succeed. This year 4 days b4 traveling i got an OF at North. But Im always on my ap several times a day.

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West
At 8 months, July 4th week may be tough. I was able to book an oceanfront studio for the last week of this past June, using star options at 8 months at midnight, but they were gone shortly after. I believe early June and late July should be easier. Also, not sure about you, but I'm pretty flexible and Princeville was pretty easy to get in the past if you are open to that.

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA

Just to be perfectly clear, if you want March 8 and are in Pacific time, you want to be online trying to reserve at 9 pm July 7 (which is the start of July 8 ET).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
If you are persistent and somewhat flexible and chose all hawaii search options you will probably succeed. This year 4 days b4 traveling i got an OF at North. But Im always on my ap several times a day.
Getting something 4 days before travelling sounds a bit risky for someone who seems to be looking to coordinate 2x2BR for a family trip that is only being made once every two years.

TJALB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks!

TJALB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you want to reserve a unit starting on July 20, you should be online at midnight (EDT) on July 20 the prior year.
I think you’re referring to a 12 month advance reservation. My original question was in regard to booking 8 months out. Thanks!

Grandma2016

Reaction score
Getting something 4 days before travelling sounds a bit risky for someone who seems to be looking to coordinate 2x2BR for a family trip that is only being made once every two years.
I was not suggesting to wait like this. We had other reservations i made earlier but added this when it came up to give our group more room.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to avoid confusion, if you want a July 20 reservation, you have to be ready to go the eying of July 19 the prior year, so at the stroke of midnight ET, you're making one of the first reservations on July 20. For a StarOption reservation, you'd be getting ready to reserve around 11:55 pm ET on November 19, so you're logged on and ready to go when November 20 starts on the stroke of midnight. Off season weeks are not as critical. I've also been able to make high-season reservations just a few days before, as people cancel last minute.