• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Booking Strategy with restricted SOs?

tahoeJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of restricted SOs and am hoping to make a 4 night (Tue-Sat) reservation in Princeville, Kauai in October. To make this reservation I will need to use a some non-restricted SOs (enough for one night). I'm unsure if all the nights will be available at the 60 day window, so I was thinking of booking one night and cancelling it if, closer to 60 days, the resort is sold out.

The questions is, it better to book a Friday night or a Tuesday night now and fill in the rest of the nights in 60 days? Put another way, what sells out faster in Princeville, Friday nights or Tuesday nights? Thoughts?

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of restricted SOs and am hoping to make a 4 night (Tue-Sat) reservation in Princeville, Kauai in October. To make this reservation I will need to use a some non-restricted SOs (enough for one night). I'm unsure if all the nights will be available at the 60 day window, so I was thinking of booking one night and cancelling it if, closer to 60 days, the resort is sold out.

The questions is, it better to book a Friday night or a Tuesday night now and fill in the rest of the nights in 60 days? Put another way, what sells out faster in Princeville, Friday nights or Tuesday nights? Thoughts?
A lot of folks will be trying for a week-end to start their stay, so I would book the Friday night now, and then fill in the rest of the nights later. YMMV. Stay well. CJ

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score

Do you have unrestricted options.

Could you book the one day, another four day booking and cancel that at 1159 on Day 61 replacing with a restricted booking at 0000 on day 60?

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

Have you tried calling? I have heard sometimes asking for a supervisor and telling them you want to book something they may remove the restrictions and let you book it.

tahoeJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have unrestricted options.

Could you book the one day, another four day booking and cancel that at 1159 on Day 61 replacing with a restricted booking at 0000 on day 60?

Thanks, I thought of that but I'm not elite and most of my unrestricted SOs are 2020 SOs. I had planned to bank those SOs since it is very difficult to travel this year. But if I cancel an October reservation in August I will miss my banking deadline. Then I have to use the 2020 SOs by Dec 31 and I'm back i the same situation.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I thought of that but I'm not elite and most of my unrestricted SOs are 2020 SOs. I had planned to bank those SOs since it is very difficult to travel this year. But if I cancel an October reservation in August I will miss my banking deadline. Then I have to use the 2020 SOs by Dec 31 and I'm back i the same situation.
Now it would be July and the restricted are good to 2021.

I think this is a good strategy for Amy use of these. Book at 8 months or 12 months and then cancel and rebook. Or rebook and cancel if space still available at 120 days.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Now it would be July and the restricted are good to 2021.

I think this is a good strategy for Amy use of these. Book at 8 months or 12 months and then cancel and rebook. Or rebook and cancel if space still available at 120 days.

And for those who do this, please don't come back to TUG and complain that you received the worst view you had ever received. ;)

Sicnarf

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I have made several last minute reservations (<4 months) at Kaanapali over the last 10 years and I've never gotten an island view. And in couple of occasions I actually got an ocean front.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
So I have made several last minute reservations (<4 months) at Kaanapali over the last 10 years and I've never gotten an island view. And in couple of occasions I actually got an ocean front.

That data point is not going to be relevant going forward at least through 12/31/21 as there will be more competition for those reservations at <4 months due to the conditions of the restricted StarOptions. Perhaps new data points will also be favorable but saying what has happened over the past 10 years is not meaningful in the context of this discussion.

Sicnarf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Relevant or not, all I'm saying is that you may not always get a bad view by switching reservations last minute regardless of the situation.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Relevant or not, all I'm saying is that you may not always get a bad view by switching reservations last minute regardless of the situation.

Four months ago I went to my local grocery store and there was plenty of toilet paper, bread and water.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Four months ago I went to my local grocery store and there was plenty of toilet paper, bread and water.
Even so, yesterday I went to my local grocery and there was plenty of those things. I think Sicnarf’s point is you’re not guaranteed to get a “bad view” just because you made a last minute reservation with StarOptions.