• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Booking flights early. Need names?

Valleykat

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are new to timesharing and not very experienced travelers in general. We have secured a great trade to Maui next June. We would like to include my son and his girlfriend and her daughter. They have been dating for over a year and talk of marriage, but you never really know, you know? It seems like most of the good deals I have gotten in the past have been non-transferable, non-refundable, so what is the best approach for a situation like this?

lll1929

TUG Member
Reaction score
If Southwest Airlines offers your flights, I would use them. They charge nothing for cancellations, name changes etc.

All credits from cancellations have to be used within 1 year of the original booking.

Danette

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That Darn Maiden Name!

We are new to timesharing and not very experienced travelers in general. We have secured a great trade to Maui next June. We would like to include my son and his girlfriend and her daughter. They have been dating for over a year and talk of marriage, but you never really know, you know? It seems like most of the good deals I have gotten in the past have been non-transferable, non-refundable, so what is the best approach for a situation like this?

My passport is in my previous AKA even though I have been married >7 years (really annoys DH) but I have continued to use that name when making flight arrangements. For a domestic flight I think your potential DIL would only need her driver's license for ID - she could just hold off changing her name until after the trip so the trip could be booked in her current name (if they do get married).

As a side note - I am finally updating my passport so hopefully DH will quit with the comments about travelling with his mistress :p

Danette

Valleykat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah, Danette, I think you may have misunderstood me. I don't expect them to get married within the next 9 months. I just mentioned that as an indication of the seriousness of their relationship. It is within the realm of possibility however that they may break up within that time and we would have no use for her ticket. That is my concern. Thanks though.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Sounds like time for a break up clause like they use in Mergers. You break up, you owe the fare. :rofl:

Seriously, let them pay for the airfare. You are providing the accommodations, let them pay for the transport. A pretty good indication of the long term health of the relationship.:cool:

Cheers

Danette

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah, Danette, I think you may have misunderstood me. I don't expect them to get married within the next 9 months. I just mentioned that as an indication of the seriousness of their relationship. It is within the realm of possibility however that they may break up within that time and we would have no use for her ticket. That is my concern. Thanks though.

Aahh :doh:

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cost of airfare

How about making them pay for the airfare and then if you want(I wouldn't)
give it back to them after the trip. (don't tell them this though):wave: After all you are providing them a room and will probably be buying some of their meals as well.

sandesurf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, We took our daughter and her then boyfriend to Maui in the summer of '07not knowing if they would stay together. We let him to buy his own airfare, as we provided most everything else. They ended up getting engaged while on Maui and are now happily married! :)

jazzfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hawaii Airfares

Check out priceline.com. They are showing some really good fares on United out of San Francisco for next summer, i.e. $475 to $540 per person roundtrip.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I don't expect them to get married within the next 9 months... It is within the realm of possibility however that they may break up within that time and we would have no use for her ticket. That is my concern. Thanks though.

When my ex-wife and I split, we had non-refundable tickets to Bonaire, a small island near Aruba. In our separation agreement, we agreed that each would take our own tickets -- I used mine as planned, she changed hers to London.

Moral of the Story: If they split, consider her ticket a small price to pay for your son's happiness, both B4 the split-up and afterwards, for being rid of the, err, golddigger.

Valleykat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions. I think the idea of her paying for her own ticket is a good one. We don't mind paying for our son's, but she should be able to save the money over the next nine months. Both of them are totally scrapped for cash though and never seem to be able to save. I need to sit them down and talk to them about it.

Valleykat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check out priceline.com. They are showing some really good fares on United out of San Francisco for next summer, i.e. $475 to $540 per person roundtrip.
I read about a deal like that on another thread in this forum. I think it was on bestfares.com. I tried looking from LA and it was $715. We are 2 hours from LA and have family there who could take us to the airport and let us park at their house, while SF is more like 4 1/2 to 5 hours. Is that for a direct flight?

Last edited: