• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Booked Grand Mayan at Vidanta - Nuevo Vallarta - suggestions?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Beer choices on the resort:

Pool bars -
Pacifico Clara
Negra Modelo
Modelo Especial
Indio (slightly bigger cans; same price)
Corona

Restaurants usually also have 7 Barios porter and blond, sometimes pale ale

La Plaza has all of these plus one or two other Mexican craft beers

You can pick up a case of Indio, Dos Equis or others at the OXXO by the Sea Garden if you walk up the beach; I usually use a backpack to tote groceries back. Cost is much lower than on the resort.

If you’re looking for higher quality craft beers, try out the Craft Beer & Bites walking tour in PV by Vallarta Eats. We did it a couple years ago. Cork and Barrel is a good beer/wine store in old PV.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We are looking forward to all the things my 7 (nearly 8) year old will do, and the relaxing we will do.

My only concern now is what kind of beer choices I will have....
Definitely go see the Turtle hatchery & evening release

Take the beach walk with him to the OXXO(beer) / 100 yds from the Vidanta Sea Garden driveway

kids love different - OXXO has tiny boxes of breakfast cereal , all kinds of different sugar treats .
It also has a decent Taco grill .
FYI - it also has basics at nearly the same price as Walmart or Mega.
Milk & OJ litre tetra boxes -eggs - tortillas -limes etc . OXXO's are the nearby local store for Mexicans - who often shop daily -
so the prices on basics have to be competitive .

The Saturday Market behind the OXXO will be entertaining for a bit while you pick up some vegetables , fruits , salsa cheese etc.

By the way - the best ocean view of all is likely 7th floor of the Sea Garden .
Check it out - they usually have a model open to view. One bedrooms are about 700 sq feet - but no lock offs .

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Kinder Sorpresas are interesting chocolate eggs with little toys inside. Pretty sure they had them at that OXXO.

woj027

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai Villas, Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort, Wyndham Midtown 45
Again, thanks for all the insight and suggestions.

This makes the next 2 weeks preparing for the trip all the more exciting.
With an arrival on Friday afternoon and a departure a week later, we shouldn't have any trouble hitting most everything people have suggested.

I hadn't thought about a backpack, did think of bringing reusable grocery bags. Thanks.

My son loves the Kinder Joy's, I figure the sorpresas are the same but different name/branding.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The sorpresas have a plastic egg inside the chocolate egg with a toy inside. Can’t be imported to the US because it’s considered an “adulterated” candy that includes non-edible items. Gotta love rules.

We typically use backpacks as carry on luggage that can serve a dual function when we get there.

Tom mentioned the Saturday market; it’s behind the OXXO and starts around 10:00, I believe. There’s also a Tuesday market on the other side of the Nuevo marina, but that’s a bit of a walk or a bus ride.

Enjoy the trip!

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
T-Dot, Thanks for the insight. Yea the more I thought about it I figured the resort fees were a way of managing the costs for current owners and making sure your maintenance fees don't go through the roof that would kill their time share sales. This way it's spread around..

We are looking forward to all the things my 7 (nearly 8) year old will do, and the relaxing we will do.

My only concern now is what kind of beer choices I will have....

It is an awesome place to 7-8 year olds! Our grandson liked the wave pool and water slide better than the ocean. The Lazy River is fun for all. When it is Crazy River time (around 2:00), there will be a lot of people there. They turn the pumps on high and the water really rolls through.

After a day in the sun, we like the shady side porch in the late afternoon, so do not worry about ocean view unit.

As for beer, you can buy it at the store cheaper than having it delivered to you. They have several brands. But, if you do venture out, you can buy it at any OXXO store or grocery for even less. They have Tecate, Corona, Negro, and sometimes Bud Light. Some of the stores have Coors Light. Sometimes the American brands are cheaper than the Mexican brands at the grocery.

woj027

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Will I be able to bring store purchased Beer (other drinks) down to the pool with me?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Will I be able to bring store purchased Beer (other drinks) down to the pool with me?

I don’t think so, but am not sure. I haven’t seen anyone else doing it there.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t think so, but am not sure. I haven’t seen anyone else doing it there.

In the past we've sorta gotten around it by getting one of those small insulated travel mug thingies. Granted, it'll only hold a bear or two (or in my case, mixed drink). I just say it's water or something. Although they also usually have 2-1 happy hour specials and I think certain beers are included and they'll bring a bucket of ice with the beer. At least when we were at the Grand Luxxe in 2016 (a while ago).

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
In the past we've sorta gotten around it by getting one of those small insulated travel mug thingies. Granted, it'll only hold a bear or two (or in my case, mixed drink). I just say it's water or something. Although they also usually have 2-1 happy hour specials and I think certain beers are included and they'll bring a bucket of ice with the beer. At least when we were at the Grand Luxxe in 2016 (a while ago).

We used to use Bubba Kegs, but they are so noticeable that we were questioned a time or two. We now use the 30 ounce Ozark Trail SS mugs with handles (same as Yeti). We start the day with water and convert to beer with lime once they are empty. I also have a "blue ice pack" in my beach bag with beer refills in a large 2 gallon ziploc bag. We have not had a problem with these in NV or RM. One friend bought one of the big insulated bags at Sam's or Costco and uses that as her beach bag. It has a lot more than suntan lotion and potato chips in it. :)

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We just booked Grand Mayan - Nuevo Vallarta - 2 BR through RCI via Wyndam (if it matters).

There will be 4 of us, 2 adults, 1 child (8), 1 grandpa, staying at Grand Mayan for spring break 2019 (last week of March).

Any suggestions, must do's, don't do's for our week there? This will be our second time to Mexico, we went last year to Mazatlan.

Thoughts about sitting through sales pitch to get upgrades or discounts? My wife and i will take one for the team if we get some reasonable benefit.

We were RCI exchange into the Grand Mayan some years back. We were assigned a room overlooking the parking garage. They agreed to give us an ocean view room and some other discounts if we did the presentation. We did. The presentation took a couple of hours after a nice breakfast. Too me, it was worth it for the sunset view.

What I remember most is how hard it is to get off property and how large the property is. The best advice I can give is make sure you have everything you need when you leave your room.

Bill

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
We would bring some drinks in a small (6-can) cooler hidden inside our beach bag along with some snacks down to the pool area. We were discrete and were never hassled, but then again, we often would order lunch or at least a drink from the pool servers at some point during the day.

Kurt

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova

Beach is public property

When we have made lunch & brought it in a beach bag - we always eat on the beach lounge chairs - out of respect for the poolside serving staff . I don’t think it is respectful or fair to them to eat my food in their work zone / source of income space.

We do bring water bottles to the pool . If I want a coke I will order it from them .
Chips are kind of a grey zone for me .

rpennisi

Reaction score
The Vidanta grocery store next to the Sea Garden usually has good sales on beer, advertised on their storefront.

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Timber Lodge, Lake Tahoe (2 weeks)
Marriott Ko Olina, Oahu, Hi. EOY
UVC, Villa del Arco, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.EOY

rpennisi

Reaction score
Here is an interesting thread on TripAdvisor relative to the TS presentation at Vidanta: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...an_COMMENTS-Nuevo_Vallarta_Pacific_Coast.html

That was an accurate timeline if you keep saying no and stay until you get your promised "gifts". I found that the best way to do it, if you are genuinely interested in finding out about the resort is to go to the presentation with no desire to stay for "gifts" and just leave when you have spent the allowed time. Only stay if you are interested in learning more, but leave if you are not.

The time I did that at NV staying at the Grand Bliss, the "manager" was very angry with me and told me I would never be offered a presentation again. That is a joke (not funny) as we are asked every time to go on a presentation. The last time, three weeks ago at the RM Grand Bliss, the lobby rep knew we owned 2 MP contracts and couldn't understand why we didn't want to attend. We told him the presenters get angry when you don't buy. He acted surprised, but we again politely declined, and still got phone calls and messages asking to attend. We didn't.

We don't mind the first or second floor suites that are visually surrounded by vegetation. The only suite(s) I would have a problem with is the one that Phyllis got once (and others have gotten) that was next to loud ventilation fans. But even with that, we just don't spend much time on the deck and never use the dipping pool.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We don't mind the first or second floor suites that are visually surrounded by vegetation. The only suite(s) I would have a problem with is the one that Phyllis got once (and others have gotten) that was next to loud ventilation fans. But even with that, we just don't spend much time on the deck and never use the dipping pool.

Yes - but you could hear them all night long too! Not only could we not go out on the deck, we could not sleep. We never get in the dipping pool either. The first year or two when they had them, we saw them drain and refill every day. Now they use a machine once or twice a week.

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
That was an accurate timeline if you keep saying no and stay until you get your promised "gifts". I found that the best way to do it, if you are genuinely interested in finding out about the resort is to go to the presentation with no desire to stay for "gifts" and just leave when you have spent the allowed time. Only stay if you are interested in learning more, but leave if you are not.

Our experience too. If what you really wanted is the room upgrade, just skip the rest and leave unless you really want the 10% off on non-grocery food and beverage. And who knows... maybe you would get that anyway. They certainly are not going to throw you out of your room at that point.

Last edited:

woj027

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok, More questions for my Grand Mayan adventure
First, 12 days away (I'm looking forward to sunny days 75+) and we are hoping we can do the "Pay now / Presentation Later" option. If not, lots of "No's"
1. How do you get laundry done if you don't have a washer dryer? Is there a central laundromat? or?
2. Recommendations for family adventures off the resort? (Do we use Vidanta Concierge?, local company? website?) Maybe something more historical or "local" versus a boat ride to a different place that offers everything we have at the resort
3. Any Must do or go Vidanta Event and/or Restaurant/Bar ?
4. Wi-Fi; how is it? not that I need for much more than google maps, searching for local things to do, downloading a new book, or checking NCAA Basketball scores.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
1. How do you get laundry done if you don't have a washer dryer? Is there a central laundromat? or? There are washers and dryers on every other floor. You can get tokens from the Concierge on the first floor by the elevator.

2. Recommendations for family adventures off the resort? (Do we use Vidanta Concierge?, local company? website?) Maybe something more historical or "local" versus a boat ride to a different place that offers everything we have at the resort There is an area in the large main lobby that will have a lot of information about tours. We took a City tour the first year we went.

The PV Malecon area has lots to see. You can just take a taxi into town and have them drop you off near the McDonalds and explore on you own. You will see the old church and many restaurants, stores where the locals actually shop are a couple of blocks inland from the Malecon. Go into Ley's grocery - it is nothing like the Mega or La Comer. Just explore. Burros restaurant just past the river is on the beach and pretty good.

You should go to Bucerias for lunch some day. Take a taxi - it would be cheaper if you got one down near the Sea Garden area (walk down the beach to it from the GM). You will see taxis near the OXXO and restaurants. Tell the driver to take you to the town square. All of the restaurants are good. Make sure you choose a table in the sand for the best experience. You will have had lots of opportunities to shop while having lunch as many vendors come to the tables. The kids are hard to say no to! The Flea Market nearby is their "home base". Check it out too. You will see a real Mexican town while walking around town some. Then you can take a taxi home.

3. Any Must do or go Vidanta Event and/or Restaurant/Bar ? Tacso Break on the top floor of the building with the stores is fun and cheap. We like the Blue Fish restaurant over by the Grand Luxxe pool and Chiringuito by the Grand Bliss pool.

4. Wi-Fi; how is it? not that I need for much more than google maps, searching for local things to do, downloading a new book, or checking NCAA Basketball scores. The WIFI will do what you are looking for. Be sure to download the Vidanta APP and it will help you get around the resort. You can use Open Table APP to make reservations at restaurants - on property and off. If you have ATT with a Mexico plan you can use your personal HotSpot too. (ATT Mexico is expanding) We watched a KU game using mine to run my computer and then a HDMI cable to the wall mounted TV when in Punta Mita last November. :)

Have a blast!

Last edited:

woj027

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok, Now a question about tipping.

1. I've read that I should tip housekeeping daily. How much? Pesos or US Dollars?
2. Who else should I tip? How much? Kids Club?
3. Who should I NOT tip?

WatsonC2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Villages, Wyndham Grand Desert
Here is my TripAdvisor Review from 2017 (wow has it been that long):

Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta 15-22 Dec 2017

RCI reservation made almost 17 months earlier. We have Wyndham Grand Desert EOY 154k weeks and were able to get two-2 bedroom units for the 154k points and invited another family of 6 to have the 2nd unit. 4 in our fam so a group of 10.

Shuttle: Email shuttle confirmation provided accurate map and instructions for avoiding the timeshare sharks and finding the shuttle. The staff (contracted I think) assisted with the luggage and we were transported in a large nice van (14 or 15 people plus the driver).

Check in: Check in changed a bit from the last time we were there ( 3 or 4 years ago?) Shuttles now drop off at a centralized check in location near the taxi drop off (vice hotel). If you are staying at the luxxe they appear to have a seperate, presumably quicker check in. Grand Mayan, Mayan Palace, and Grand Bliss were the same shared location. We prepared our guests for the slow check in and it went a little quicker than expected. They had lots of seating for people while the responsible people waited in line and bottled water for everyone.

Our friends completed their check in here complete with towel cards and bracelets. Our room was apparently not ready so we had to take the shuttle to the hotel main lobby and complete our check in there. The room was ready by the time we made the relatively short walk.

The lock off hotel part of the 2 bedroom was locked off in our friends’ room so we went back to the main lobby and the counter person seemed to think we were lying about having a 2 bedroom unit and then needed a number off of the paperwork they received at check in. We had provided the RCI reservation at check in (other location) and the staff kept it so it wasn’t obvious what were supposed to do. Eventually he figured it out and said we needed to call maintenance to open it up. Our response: you are standing at a phone, please call for us. This was literally the only time in the entire week we didn’t feel we were getting good service so its not emblematic.

Timeshare sales: At check in we were asked by a roving staff member with a clipboard what our names were and he checked them off the list but did not inquire about attending any presentations. The ONLY time this came up was a phone call my wife received in the room. Been there done that and didn’t want to kill a day of a weeks stay dealing with sales over something we would never buy. I did meet a gentleman on a shuttle who was an owner and paid more for his 2 bedroom Grand Mayan week than I paid for both of the 2 bedrooms I booked via RCI. Let that sink in a minute.

Rooms: Our unit (#3206 or Copan Building (3) Floor 2, unit 06) had a king in each bedroom while our guests (#3506) had 2 beds in the 2nd bedroom which is what we hoped would happen for them. We were both placed in the Copan building and as expected both rooms faced away from the ocean. The 5th floor room our friends had did have a nice view toward the marina while ours was too low to comment on. Hey, it was a cheap stay for a 2 bedroom unit.

Laundry: There is laundry behind the elevators on the first floor. I think its $100 peso for wash and dry (each). They collect a refundable $300 peso deposit for the cards that operate the machines and provide soap with the fee.

Ice: Our floor had an ice machine by the elevator. I presume all floors have this.

Lake Show: The lake show is apparently relatively new and at La Cantina. Great venue with an underwhelming and perhaps weird light show. They promote how it is different every night. I think it could be better if some sort of short story instead.

Santuario: We only did a walk through on the last night due to the kids but the entertainment appeared to be top quality and the venue is amazing.

Water Park: One wave pool was closed for repairs. The slides and pools were all in good working condition but the lazy river did close a couple times while they made repairs. The liner appears to work loose from the walls or something and requires repair sometimes. It may be that the wave generator is too hard on it but the waves are great when it’s going. The best chairs by the pool were saved by towels or other items by 9-10 am. That’s how we got our seats.

Taxi: Taxis from the resort to the Malecon in downtown PV were 200 pesos for small cars. That seemed to be consistently the rate either direction. We paid 250 pesos to the airport but the suitcases were pretty big and heavy so I just paid it rather than negotiate.

Joy Squad: The name is a little cheeky but they really do make Vidanta special. Hired staff that play ping pong when kids need a partner, lead tequila volleyball, have pool parties for the younger ones, etc…Activities going on all over at almost every hour.

Wifi: We elected only the free wifi which was spotty outside the room. The new vidanta app was neat but required so much bandwidth that it doesn’t really work with the free wi fi.

TV: We were able to watch NFL football Thur, Sun, and Mon night in the rooms. It was in Spanish. There are a couple english speaking channels in there, sometimes with spanish subtitles. We weren’t there to watch TV anyway.

Housekeeping: Daily included with turn down service. They did a great job and we tipped well every day.

Nuevo: We walked up the beach to the Sea Garden a couple times. It is about a 7 minute walk along the beach and drops you out maybe 150 yards from the marina. Taxis are cheaper here and quicker to leave if you don’t mind a beach walk. Immediately outside the entrance is a little market but everyone goes across the street to the Oxxo (like a 7-11). If your mobile enough to walk the beach I recommend this strategy to get out or simply to be able to walk to other restaurants or the dolphin adventure.

Sea Turtles: Sea turtles are released just before sundown after a short educational brief at the protective enclosure. Not publicized but you can purchase a wristband at the kids club for ~31 pesos that allows you to be closer to the turtles. Kids might be free. Under the law, only the biologist can handle the turtles. Its seasonal and was a highlight for our kids.

Food: The bills now explicitly state that tips are NOT included.

Room Service: They have an extensive room service menu with specialties from perhaps every restaurant on the property. I think the items may also be slightly cheaper. You can also order wine, beer, and hard alcohol. It was about 45 minutes delivered. The delivery person set the table complete with water glasses which had been covered with saran wrap to prevent spilling. They have a seperate pizza menu for room service, which our guests ordered from one night A large pizza was about $13 USD and they were all tasty.

Tramanto: This is the only fancy restaurant we ate at. My oldest daughter requested it. I was underwhelmed. The salads are huge and we should have stopped there. The entree portions are small, perhaps to be expected but also not all that great (in my opinion).

Samba: We ate here a couple nights and enjoy the locations by the pool as the kids can swim until the food is ready then join us.

Taco Break: Food was underwhelming but we have good mexican food trucks near my work so I may have been expecting too much. Meat was pretty dry like it had been cooking a long while.

Creperia: This place was fabulous. Our friends had breakfast crepes and waffles. We had dinner there one night. Portion are huge so consider splitting one.

Pool Service: They have a great menu for pool food. The Mayan Palace pool appeared to have a much larger food menu than the Grand Mayan. Servers were generally very attentive and food cam pretty quick. I generally brought a soft cooler down with me as service didn’t start until after 11 I was only “hassled” once for bringing a cooler in the area and it was the day we checked out and weren’t sure the pool was set up for credit card charges. Food service started at 12:30. Happy hour was 11-3pm and was 2 for 1 on drinks but not beer. Most drinks were 150 pesos while beer was 75 pesos.

Mercado at La Plaza: Not to be missed is the bakery, and the chocolate shop. Interesting note: the raspberries and blackberries in the store were the exact product I buy at Costco at home, same packaging etc…

Checkout: I went down about 8:30am to avoid the rush. I didn’t scrutinize every charge but It looked correct to me including the $75 weekly resort fee (due to our old reservation we avoided the $11 pp/pd fee. Note they count ages 12 and up as adults in calculating that now. We kept the towels for the day as we had a late afternoon flight and turned the towel cards in just before departing.

Summary: We love trading into Vidanta and were thrilled to be able to get such a cheap deal on huge accommodations allowing us to invite friends. We will certainly be returning, perhaps for an adults only trip. The resort can make either a family or no kids trip a great vacation.Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta 15-22 Dec 2017

RCI reservation made almost 17 months earlier. We have Wyndham Grand Desert EOY 154k weeks and were able to get two-2 bedroom units for the 154k points and invited another family of 6 to have the 2nd unit. 4 in our fam so a group of 10.

Shuttle: Email shuttle confirmation provided accurate map and instructions for avoiding the timeshare sharks and finding the shuttle. The staff (contracted I think) assisted with the luggage and we were transported in a large nice van (14 or 15 people plus the driver).

Check in: Check in changed a bit from the last time we were there ( 3 or 4 years ago?) Shuttles now drop off at a centralized check in location near the taxi drop off (vice hotel). If you are staying at the luxxe they appear to have a seperate, presumably quicker check in. Grand Mayan, Mayan Palace, and Grand Bliss were the same shared location. We prepared our guests for the slow check in and it went a little quicker than expected. They had lots of seating for people while the responsible people waited in line and bottled water for everyone.

Our friends completed their check in here complete with towel cards and bracelets. Our room was apparently not ready so we had to take the shuttle to the hotel main lobby and complete our check in there. The room was ready by the time we made the relatively short walk.

The lock off hotel part of the 2 bedroom was locked off in our friends’ room so we went back to the main lobby and the counter person seemed to think we were lying about having a 2 bedroom unit and then needed a number off of the paperwork they received at check in. We had provided the RCI reservation at check in (other location) and the staff kept it so it wasn’t obvious what were supposed to do. Eventually he figured it out and said we needed to call maintenance to open it up. Our response: you are standing at a phone, please call for us. This was literally the only time in the entire week we didn’t feel we were getting good service so its not emblematic.

Timeshare sales: At check in we were asked by a roving staff member with a clipboard what our names were and he checked them off the list but did not inquire about attending any presentations. The ONLY time this came up was a phone call my wife received in the room. Been there done that and didn’t want to kill a day of a weeks stay dealing with sales over something we would never buy. I did meet a gentleman on a shuttle who was an owner and paid more for his 2 bedroom Grand Mayan week than I paid for both of the 2 bedrooms I booked via RCI. Let that sink in a minute.

Rooms: Our unit (#3206 or Copan Building (3) Floor 2, unit 06) had a king in each bedroom while our guests (#3506) had 2 beds in the 2nd bedroom which is what we hoped would happen for them. We were both placed in the Copan building and as expected both rooms faced away from the ocean. The 5th floor room our friends had did have a nice view toward the marina while ours was too low to comment on. Hey, it was a cheap stay for a 2 bedroom unit.

Laundry: There is laundry behind the elevators on the first floor. I think its $100 peso for wash and dry (each). They collect a refundable $300 peso deposit for the cards that operate the machines and provide soap with the fee.

Ice: Our floor had an ice machine by the elevator. I presume all floors have this.

Lake Show: The lake show is apparently relatively new and at La Cantina. Great venue with an underwhelming and perhaps weird light show. They promote how it is different every night. I think it could be better if some sort of short story instead.

Santuario: We only did a walk through on the last night due to the kids but the entertainment appeared to be top quality and the venue is amazing.

Water Park: One wave pool was closed for repairs. The slides and pools were all in good working condition but the lazy river did close a couple times while they made repairs. The liner appears to work loose from the walls or something and requires repair sometimes. It may be that the wave generator is too hard on it but the waves are great when it’s going. The best chairs by the pool were saved by towels or other items by 9-10 am. That’s how we got our seats.

Taxi: Taxis from the resort to the Malecon in downtown PV were 200 pesos for small cars. That seemed to be consistently the rate either direction. We paid 250 pesos to the airport but the suitcases were pretty big and heavy so I just paid it rather than negotiate.

Joy Squad: The name is a little cheeky but they really do make Vidanta special. Hired staff that play ping pong when kids need a partner, lead tequila volleyball, have pool parties for the younger ones, etc…Activities going on all over at almost every hour.

Wifi: We elected only the free wifi which was spotty outside the room. The new vidanta app was neat but required so much bandwidth that it doesn’t really work with the free wi fi.

TV: We were able to watch NFL football Thur, Sun, and Mon night in the rooms. It was in Spanish. There are a couple english speaking channels in there, sometimes with spanish subtitles. We weren’t there to watch TV anyway.

Housekeeping: Daily included with turn down service. They did a great job and we tipped well every day.

Nuevo: We walked up the beach to the Sea Garden a couple times. It is about a 7 minute walk along the beach and drops you out maybe 150 yards from the marina. Taxis are cheaper here and quicker to leave if you don’t mind a beach walk. Immediately outside the entrance is a little market but everyone goes across the street to the Oxxo (like a 7-11). If your mobile enough to walk the beach I recommend this strategy to get out or simply to be able to walk to other restaurants or the dolphin adventure.

Sea Turtles: Sea turtles are released just before sundown after a short educational brief at the protective enclosure. Not publicized but you can purchase a wristband at the kids club for ~31 pesos that allows you to be closer to the turtles. Kids might be free. Under the law, only the biologist can handle the turtles. Its seasonal and was a highlight for our kids.

Food: The bills now explicitly state that tips are NOT included.

Room Service: They have an extensive room service menu with specialties from perhaps every restaurant on the property. I think the items may also be slightly cheaper. You can also order wine, beer, and hard alcohol. It was about 45 minutes delivered. The delivery person set the table complete with water glasses which had been covered with saran wrap to prevent spilling. They have a seperate pizza menu for room service, which our guests ordered from one night A large pizza was about $13 USD and they were all tasty.

Tramanto: This is the only fancy restaurant we ate at. My oldest daughter requested it. I was underwhelmed. The salads are huge and we should have stopped there. The entree portions are small, perhaps to be expected but also not all that great (in my opinion).

Samba: We ate here a couple nights and enjoy the locations by the pool as the kids can swim until the food is ready then join us.

Taco Break: Food was underwhelming but we have good mexican food trucks near my work so I may have been expecting too much. Meat was pretty dry like it had been cooking a long while.

Creperia: This place was fabulous. Our friends had breakfast crepes and waffles. We had dinner there one night. Portion are huge so consider splitting one.

Pool Service: They have a great menu for pool food. The Mayan Palace pool appeared to have a much larger food menu than the Grand Mayan. Servers were generally very attentive and food cam pretty quick. I generally brought a soft cooler down with me as service didn’t start until after 11 I was only “hassled” once for bringing a cooler in the area and it was the day we checked out and weren’t sure the pool was set up for credit card charges. Food service started at 12:30. Happy hour was 11-3pm and was 2 for 1 on drinks but not beer. Most drinks were 150 pesos while beer was 75 pesos.

Mercado at La Plaza: Not to be missed is the bakery, and the chocolate shop. Interesting note: the raspberries and blackberries in the store were the exact product I buy at Costco at home, same packaging etc…

Checkout: I went down about 8:30am to avoid the rush. I didn’t scrutinize every charge but It looked correct to me including the $75 weekly resort fee (due to our old reservation we avoided the $11 pp/pd fee. Note they count ages 12 and up as adults in calculating that now. We kept the towels for the day as we had a late afternoon flight and turned the towel cards in just before departing.

Summary: We love trading into Vidanta and were thrilled to be able to get such a cheap deal on huge accommodations allowing us to invite friends. We will certainly be returning, perhaps for an adults only trip. The resort can make either a family or no kids trip a great vacation.

woj027

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here is my TripAdvisor Review from 2017 (wow has it been that long):

Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta 15-22 Dec 2017

Summary: We love trading into Vidanta and were thrilled to be able to get such a cheap deal on huge accommodations allowing us to invite friends. We will certainly be returning, perhaps for an adults only trip. The resort can make either a family or no kids trip a great vacation.Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta 15-22 Dec 2017

Thanks for the summary, I hope to compile something like this for my adventure down there next Friday....

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok, Now a question about tipping.

1. I've read that I should tip housekeeping daily. How much? Pesos or US Dollars?
2. Who else should I tip? How much? Kids Club?
3. Who should I NOT tip?

I usually type housekeeping at the end of the week ~$20 each for the day and night staff. In NV you’ll need to ask the concierge for envelopes and what their names are. If they did a good job, mention them by name in the checkout survey and if you write a review somewhere like TripAdvisor-it makes a difference to them. It doesn’t really seem to bother anyone there to get dollars.

You should also tip the helpful folks on TUG that provide you with good insights and recommendations ;).... Actually, I type the waiters in the restaurants and pool bars and have heard of folks tipping the drivers, but think that’s going a bit overboard. The bellmen, too, if they’ve been helpful or you travel heavy.

I wouldn’t tip the sales staff....