• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bonvoy Points ??

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
With all of his India travel these last five-plus years, Don and I are sitting on a mountain of Bonvoy Points and looking for some direction here. :)

I know, I know, I know, the absolute highest value with these is in travel packages and the lowest is in all the shopping options. But he's accumulated them faster than we and our kids could spend them, and with him retiring in July we'd been planning on replacing his work laptop and my old laptop sometime in June. We could do that with points and still have a healthy stash ...

So, what do all you experts think is the likelihood of us losing accumulated Bonvoy Points, as a result of the COVID19's impact on Marriott, Int'l? Is anybody looking to empty their Bonvoy tank just in case?

Believe me, I know this is a First World problem, and I'm seriously not gloating or boasting or anything like that. What I am is worried that one of the benefits we expected when he chose to sacrifice two-full-years-plus of his life here for India, i.e. a healthy points account that we could use for travel for a number of years ahead, will disappear into thin air. I just don't know if that's a reasonable worry?

Thanks!

Last edited:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
With all of his India travel these last five-plus years, Don and I are sitting on a mountain of Bonvoy Points and looking for some direction here. :)

I know, I know, I know, the absolute highest value with these is in travel packages and the lowest is in all the shopping options. But he's accumulated them faster than we and our kids could spend them, and with him retiring in July we'd been planning on replacing his work laptop and my old laptop sometime in June. We could do that with points and still have a healthy stash ...

So, what do all you experts think is the likelihood of us losing accumulated Bonvoy Points, as a result of the COVID19's impact on Marriott, Int'l? Is anybody looking to empty their Bonvoy tank just in case?

Believe me, I know this is a First World problem, and I'm seriously not gloating or boasting or anything like that. What I am is worried that one of the benefits we expected when he chose to sacrifice two-full-years-plus of his life here for India, i.e. a healthy points account that we could use for travel for a number of years ahead, will disappear into thin air. I just don't know if that's a reasonable worry?

Thanks!

Since Don has earned a large number, does he have Lifetime Elite status at any level of the Bonvoy program? If so his accumulated points will never expire.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Since Don has earned a large number, does he have Lifetime Elite status at any level of the Bonvoy program? If so his accumulated points will never expire.

Lifetime Titanium, but the worry is that if MI suffers enough they'll go into some kind of corporate reorganization that wipes out existing Bonvoy Points. Like I said, I don't know if that's a reasonable worry?

Norcal5

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks!
I think your points won’t expire, however, I turned my very large amount of points into 2 travel packages that expire (after a one year extension) on July 6, 2020. We currently have 2 rooms booked with them at Jackson Hole, Wyoming, to see Yellowstone and Grand Teton, which are currently closed.
Does anyone know if they might be extended?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You may want to sell them and transfer them out of your account......
????

That of course will definitely get Don's account closed, if discovered.

I may have misread that, as "use them now to empty the account?" Yeah, I think I definitely misread it. No intention here to do anything that's against the rules.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Sue, if you are talking over three million. I expect using them to offset some cash purchases isn’t unreasonable.

I’d probably price some five night Cat 8-9 certificates, if you can use them next year, e.g, London County Hall, etc.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Generally, using Bonvoy points for purchases isn't a great deal. I think you likely already know this. But, if you have millions..and cannot seem to use them fast than you accumulate...it might be worth using them to offset some cash purchases.

I'm not overly concerned on Marriott removing Bonvoy points. That would cause an uproar even in the current COVID economy. Corporate travel is probably the larger impact now. Travel will pick back up afterwards. I am concerned about the continued devaluation of Bonvoy points and the overall program itself over time. Bonvoy points just aren't as valuable and don't go as far anymore.

If I were you, I'd start using them on weekend getways, vacation packages (with airline points), etc. The longer you hold onto them..the more they devalue.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
You are raising some valid questions. What are the options for using bonvoy outside of hotels and airlines? Is there a cash option? Can you buy gift cards for regular stores? I know with some rewards programs you can cash out 1 cent per point. Not the greatest use but we have so many travel credits and points locked in hotel/airline programs that we won't need them for at least 2 years so might as well cash out a bunch and use if we can because they will continue to devalue.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you have boatloads of points, using them for merchandise isn't a problem. There is only so much travel you can do. The points were free anyway, so the merchandise would also be free. It isn't always about squeezing every penny of value out of these things.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are raising some valid questions. What are the options for using bonvoy outside of hotels and airlines? Is there a cash option? Can you buy gift cards for regular stores? I know with some rewards programs you can cash out 1 cent per point. Not the greatest use but we have so many travel credits and points locked in hotel/airline programs that we won't need them for at least 2 years so might as well cash out a bunch and use if we can because they will continue to devalue.

1 cent per point would be a dream!

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm revisiting this, finally have made the decision to use Bonvoy Points for laptops for each of us. I know it's not the most economically sound use of Points but it works for us. I have at least checked to make sure that ordering the merchandise direct from marriott.com is more advantageous than ordering Gift Cards with the Points and then using those to order from Amazon, etc. :)

My question is, going through the Shopping Bag process on marriott.com it asks, "Do you have a Promo Code?" and I have no idea! Are there promo codes that come with either Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium or MVW Chairman's Club status?

Thanks!

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Bonvoy has some excellent resort hotel destinations. Several suggestions: The St. Regis in Aspen and the St. Regis in Park City during ski season. The Ritz Carlton in Cancun, the Ritz Carlton in The Grand Caymans, and The St. Regis in Punta Mita. The Cove at Atlantis is also a popular destination. Congratulations on your retirement.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can the OP, purchase Marriott's Gift Card?

Yes, and Travel Packages, and whatever else is available. No doubt we'll be doing that, too, eventually. But for now we need to upgrade our laptops (Don's belongs to his firm and has to be turned in this month; mine is old) and this is a good way to do it.

Bonvoy has some excellent resort hotel destinations. Several suggestions: The St. Regis in Aspen and the St. Regis in Park City during ski season. The Ritz Carlton in Cancun, the Ritz Carlton in The Grand Caymans, and The St. Regis in Punta Mita. The Cove at Atlantis is also a popular destination. Congratulations on your retirement.

Thanks for the suggestions! We had been considering a two-week trip this year with our kids and grandkids but COVID has put a stop to all our planning for this year. Just as soon as we're through all the retirement plans and paperwork we'll get to work on seeing what will work next year. :)

taxare

TUG Member
Reaction score
Susan, we were in your shoes 4 years ago when I retired. Over 3M MR points, 1.5M AA miles, etc, etc. We have whittled them down quite a bit with 5 nights at the Ritz Carlton Grand Cayman Club Level, Marriott Champ Elysees, St. Regis in New York once a year, Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay, etc.. While the travel and hotel industry is getting hammered now, I believe MI will withstand this although there will be some properties that won't reopen. Enjoy retirement as it has been quite wonderful for us.

Steve A

TUG Member
Reaction score
We use our Bonvoy points and AA ff miles mostly for high end Marriott hotels in London. We’ve also used them for Dublin Edinburg, Paris, Amsterdam, and NYC.

Have fun.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are the options for using bonvoy outside of hotels and airlines?

I have been out of this arena for many years but back when I had more Marriott Rewards Points than we knew what to do with I used a bunch of them to send my 14 year old Son to Marriott's Gold Academy for a week's instruction. It was one of them best uses of Points I ever made. I have no idea if such choices are available anymore...

George

hintok

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis - 2
Westin Desert Willows
WorldMark 6k credits
Gandview RCI Points 122k
We use our Bonvoy points and AA ff miles mostly for high end Marriott hotels in London. We’ve also used them for Dublin Edinburg, Paris, Amsterdam, and NYC.

Have fun.

Have plans to travel to Paris and London in June/July. Which resorts do you prefer in those cities? I also see on the AA website this morning that I can transfer 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy Points for 25,000 AA miles. Do you think this is a good idea? I am thinking of transferring 120k Marriott Points for my ticket This would give me 110,000 miles for my ticket. Thanks

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Have plans to travel to Paris and London in June/July. Which resorts do you prefer in those cities? I also see on the AA website this morning that I can transfer 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy Points for 25,000 AA miles. Do you think this is a good idea? I am thinking of transferring 120k Marriott Points for my ticket This would give me 110,000 miles for my ticket. Thanks
Seems like you may be better off using the Bonvoy points for a hotel/airline miles travel package.

In London I like Marriott’s County Hall https://www.marriott.com/hotels/tra...tbG9jYXRpb24uZ29vZ2xlX3dlYnNpdGVfb3ZlcnJpZGU=

and in Paris Marriott’s Champs Elysees https://www.marriott.com/hotels/tra...tbG9jYXRpb24uZ29vZ2xlX3dlYnNpdGVfb3ZlcnJpZGU=

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
St Ermin's is our favorite hotel in London - the service, tea, and location are extraordinary and the rooms are quite nice.

As for our hotels in Paris, I've never *loved* any of them. The Marriott Rive Gauche was an excellent bargain and has 1BR/2BA suites that were perfect for a family. We liked the Metro access...and hated that we needed the Metro to go anywhere. Actually, we loved Marriott's Village d'Ile-de-France...but it is too far out for more than the occasional day trip into Paris.

And I 2nd @Fasttr's recommendation of using Bonvoy points for a hotel/airline miles travel package.

hintok

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis - 2
Westin Desert Willows
WorldMark 6k credits
Gandview RCI Points 122k
Thank you both. I will try to figure out how to use points for hotel and air package.

Last edited:

Steve A

TUG Member
Reaction score
In London we usually stay at the Park Lane because of its great location, but they raised it to a level 8 and I don’t think it’s worth the extra points since there are several level very high quality 7s relatively nearby.

Package is the way to go. Btw we usually fly business to London using points since it’s an overnight flight and coach on the way back.