• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bonus Points for Retail Purchases

Msb1102

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I received a cold call earlier this week from HGV sales trying to pimp the HGV Max. Of course I know better but always listen because there might be a deal to make.

I was offered 2 platinum 2 bedroom plus grand waikikian units for a swap of my 2 units that have the same exact point allotment for $25k.

Obviously that would get me status and MAX but that alone isn't enough to justify 25k. I'm curious what type of bonus points people have been getting with initial purchases and upgrades. I've moved points at a pretty good rate but my historical math tells me I would need around 75k to make this deal work.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
The question that I would ask, why do you want HGV Max? Secondly, is it worth $25K for no additional points?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
HGV values Bonus Points at $0.10/point pre-point inflation (based on the exchange for MFs or cruises, etc.), so that would be $0.0625/point now, post-point inflation. So for me personally, it would take 400,000 Bonus Points to make it a no-cost deal. But there is no way I would ever use 400K points in the two years that they expire.

But that is just me... ;)

Kurt

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
How many bonus points are you offered exactly?

Msb1102

TUG Member
Reaction score
We didn't get that deep in as I had a meeting I had a meeting i was already late for. As far as points themselves, I can typically flip them for around 16 cents on average (home weeks only, of course). I wouldn't need to make the entire 25k back. But around half, with a lower mf, some "free" guest certificates, and other minor perks I could do well and presumably dump my gold DC week as I wouldn't need the it for the AI any longer.

The other perk would be the more desirable home week location. Only kicking around the idea.

The flip side is I use DC's booking advantage to hold NYC units that I eventually convert to regular club points so giving that up might be a pain.

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Whatever the number would be, I would show you that acquiring 2-4 Scotland units for $10K-20K, and $1.5K-$3K for MF, then using these points, then selling these units back for $15K, would be more beneficial than getting bonus points for a retail purchase. ;)

hgvcowner88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara
HGVC Tuscany Village
HGVC Boulevard
Whatever the number would be, I would show you that acquiring 2-4 Scotland units for $10K-20K, and $1.5K-$3K for MF, then using these points, then selling these units back for $15K, would be more beneficial than getting bonus points for a retail purchase. ;)
Can you sell Scotland units back to the resort?

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can you sell Scotland units back to the resort?
Just like you can sell a deeded ownership interest, you can sell a vacation certificate (that's what they have in HGVC Scotland, it's not deeded).

You can either go through the resort and they'll enter your certificate into a pool that they advertise and sell. And they charge a commission on that.

Or you can sell yourself on eBay. Given the prices 11,200 Blvd, Paradise, and Elara sell for on eBay, I have no doubt they would easily go for 50-75% of its original price. Especially given MFpp of Coylumbridge is better than Blvd/Paradise/Elara, and closing costs are miniscule. (the reason why it won't go above 75% is why buy on eBay, if buying direct for a little more gets you Elite recognition, and the full amount of the charge will qualify as Hilton expense on your Amex card).