• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bonnet Creek HOTEL is closing (not the timeshare, yet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I got this text this morning (I use my cell number on confirmations so I imagine due to one of my BC reservations). I imagine just a matter of time for the timeshares to follow suit (since we're quasi-there already):

Dear Valued Guest:

In an abundance of caution and in the best interest of the safety of our guests and team members, Wyndham Grand Orlando Resort Bonnet Creek (Which is the Hotel on property) will close beginning at 5 p.m on Friday, March 20, 2020 through Thursday, April 30, 2020.
Please note that the Tower 6 Parking Garage will be closed at 12pm on Friday March 20th.

Thank you.

travelwyndham

TUG Member
Reaction score
They say they are keeping Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort (the hotel is closing) open to people who are already checked in and have continuous reservations. Hopefully, that stands. We’ve been here since September and have our reservations through the month of April. So we’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
They say they are keeping Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort (the hotel is closing) open to people who are already checked in and have continuous reservations. Hopefully, that stands. We’ve been here since September and have our reservations through the month of April. So we’ll see.

It certainly seems like shelter in place would be best for your situation. Good luck and stay safe!

rpeacock

Reaction score

We just left Bonnet Creek late last week (after being at BC for two months) and the place was still teaming with people. To the point where we couldn't believe how many people were acting like nothing unusual was happening. Do you have a guess what the occupancy rate is at this time? Are all of the pools, restaurants, activities been shut down? If you were to tell the resort management that you wanted to leave in a couple of days would you get your points back for the remainder of your reservation?

CCdad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
We just left Bonnet Creek late last week (after being at BC for two months) and the place was still teaming with people. To the point where we couldn't believe how many people were acting like nothing unusual was happening. Do you have a guess what the occupancy rate is at this time? Are all of the pools, restaurants, activities been shut down? If you were to tell the resort management that you wanted to leave in a couple of days would you get your points back for the remainder of your reservation?

Bonnet Creek resort did shut the pools, hot tubs, bar & food service etc. No new guests were being allowed to check in as of yesterday, but folks have been leaving early.

With the social distancing requirement, no Disney, no restaurants or grocery shopping except for carry out orders, no pools, etc what kind of vacation can anyone have?

Owner care is allowing prorated points refunds for those guests leaving early; but the resort staff must “flag” reservations where those guests leave early so that a verification can be done.

Any new reservation inventory searches must start using April 19 as the earliest check in date.

Cancelled March and April unused inventory for resorts that at the moment are still accepting guests is being added to RCI and perhaps other web search platforms (Redweek and Extra Holidays). And hopefully being donated to people or organizations in need.

HeidingOut

TUG Member
Reaction score
We checked in on March 6th and ended up leaving a few days early on March 20th. The first week was relatively normal but by March 12th, Disney has announced they were shutting down the parks on Sunday. The resorts were staying open with Disney Springs. We still enjoyed our trip until St. Patrick’s Day on March 17th. With NO PRIOR WARNING at all, we woke up to a letter under the door that amenities would be closed except for breakfast that morning at one of the restaurants and the merchandise store inside the Main Building.

What was particularly ridiculous was they locked the paths to walk around the resort from the pool areas. So, you couldn’t go from building 5 to building 4 via around the lake via the walkway. Instead you had to exit the front of the buildings.

Most people were social distancing. In fact, we setup in the area where the stage is and let kids get up and sing/dance. Most if not all were making an effort to stay 10 ft away from each other. Vistana (which we also own) down the street still had their pools open.

At the time we left, Publix was still delivering groceries to your room. Lots of people were leaving early including us. We did not ask for a refund as we only left a couple of days early. But, I heard from others they were returning some points.

Other than the beautiful weather, with the pools closed there just wasn’t much to do. By that time Disney Springs was also announcing plans to shut down all Disney owned restaurants/stores.

I will also tell you that it was more than a little frustrating to see they still were bringing people in for sales tours. I mean shutting down the amenities but sales tours were still going on. At least Disney gave their customers a few days notice. Bonnet did not. They shoved a letter under our door around 5 am to say everything had been shut down effective immediately

I did not find it crowded with people. In fact , we go to Bonnet often and I’ve never ever seen it like that. On the Sunday prior to leaving, I asked what the occupancy rate was and was told the hotel was at 15% and the resort was at 70%. I commented to many it did not seem like 70%. I would say by March 19, the occupancy rate looked like 25% or lower at the resort.

Building 5 no longer was having employees in the checkin area by March 16. But the sales people were still working tours. There were several restaurants in the immediate area still open for inside dining (not at Bonnet). But you had to be seated 10ft from the table on the side of you.

Walmart on Vineland was wiping down baskets as you entered. It also was completely dead considering it’s the busiest Walmart in the country.

One thing that continues to bother me is why don’t you have the big Coronavirus outbreaks from people who had been to Disney? I’m from New Orleans originally and can tell you most are blaming the huge numbers on Mardi Gras. So, why when we were all enclosed in tight areas at Disney do you not see huge stories of people infected who had been at Disney? I mean I was drowning my young children in hand sanitizer and Disney had done a great job of leaving portable hand washing stations out. But no one I saw were wearing face mask. So, if the virus is as contagious as people are saying, I feel like we should be huge stories of “oh they were at Disney during the spreading time”. But you aren’t seeing it? Why?

Other than the guy from CA who died (which appears he brought the virus to Disney World), there doesn’t appear to be any stories related to Coronavirus/Disney and spread?

I would love to hear why any of you think that is?

comicbookman

TUG Member
Reaction score
because Disney is a business and since they were relatively quick to close, my guess is the media is giving them a pass. The spread from spring break is fascinating in a horrible kind of way, so there must be a Disney spread as well.

HeidingOut

TUG Member
Reaction score
At the end of this, I’d be really fascinated to see numbers and the sort of bullet we dodged. When we arrived, I was vaguely aware of a virus in New York but I’m not a huge fan of the news. I just naturally put lots of hand sani and wash my kids hands (especially at Disney) for obvious reasons. No fun being at the parks with a child whose got a stomach virus or worst.

But, it’s been very curious to me why there is very little news about DisneyWorld and the spread of this virus. Mardi Gras is also a business (maybe not in the traditional since), but I assure you it is. The media has certainly not been as kind.

I guess of course my 6 family members including a 66 year old Grandma could just be part of the 25% with no symptoms.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Wyndham made the decision to shut the pools down overnight and all the resorts had to quickly follow. I was at Ocean Walk and all the pools shut down on Tuesday with no warning. They ended up opening back up 1 pool on the side that isn't Wyndham (south tower).

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
I live an hour from Disney and I don't personally know anyone here who has it. Only 85 people in our county of 1.44M people have been hospitalized from it. We were there that week.

comicbookman

TUG Member
Reaction score
At the end of this, I’d be really fascinated to see numbers and the sort of bullet we dodged. When we arrived, I was vaguely aware of a virus in New York but I’m not a huge fan of the news. I just naturally put lots of hand sani and wash my kids hands (especially at Disney) for obvious reasons. No fun being at the parks with a child whose got a stomach virus or worst.

But, it’s been very curious to me why there is very little news about DisneyWorld and the spread of this virus. Mardi Gras is also a business (maybe not in the traditional since), but I assure you it is. The media has certainly not been as kind.

I guess of course my 6 family members including a 66 year old Grandma could just be part of the 25% with no symptoms.
But Mardi gras needed to be shut down by a government. Notice very little to no negative mention of the actual businesses that live off of Mardi gras.

JudiZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been to New Orleans on a Saturday night that wasn't Mardi Gras and I still cringe when I think about how "close" everyone was. I never considered myself overwhelmed by crowds but Bourbon Street made me reconsider that assumption. I have also been to DisneyWorld two days after Christmas (our daughter was an intern and we wanted to spend the holidays together). I never felt the same kind of claustrophobia that I did in NO. It was too crowded at DW but not the same kind of crowded. Even NYC, when we were there in November felt more "shoulder to shoulder" than DW.

I know Disney is far cleaner than NO or NYC even with children whose personal hygiene can be...spotty.

Also wonder about the average age of people. DW attracts families in droves. I read that children tend to get the virus less severely (in general, not as a rule).

Did Disney close soon enough to ward off the worst of the contagious period?

My biggest question is when will we know anything for sure? Will we ever? I think this virus will leave much for us to question and solve. It took us years to figure out much about past "epidemics" from the Plague to the Spanish Flu to Polio; I guess this won't be any different.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
You can see a slight trend on the FL map. That's where all the employees live for the tourism in Orlando. Miami is the only city hot spot in FL though.

1586463202791.png

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I feel like that is pretty impressive for Orlando, do you agree? As @HeidingOut said early, just that one guy that came to Disney sick (from LA), I haven't heard anything more (which I think is great news). We still have a ways to go, but hopeful lives have been saved due to businesses closing down and the social distancing practices many have adhered to (whether voluntarily or dictated).

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
cbyrne1174] Miami is the only city hot spot in FL though. [ATTACH type="full" alt="1586463307322.png said:
18835[/ATTACH]

We live in Broward County which is the smaller dark blue county north of Miami-Dade County for those of you who don't know. The large teal county north of Broward County is Palm Beach County. According to the figures being shown on our news the number of cases of Covid- 19 for Miami-Dade County is a little over twice the number for Broward County. However the number of deaths due to it are only only slightly less. The numbers would indicate that you're twice as likely to die of Covid-19 if you live in Broward County but it could be that Miami-Dade is just testing more people.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
We live in Broward County which is the smaller dark blue county north of Miami-Dade County for those of you who don't know. The large teal county north of Broward County is Palm Beach County. According to the figures being shown on our news the number of cases of Covid- 19 for Miami-Dade County is a little over twice the number for Broward County. However the number of deaths due to it are only only slightly less. The numbers would indicate that you're twice as likely to die of Covid-19 if you live in Broward County but it could be that Miami-Dade is just testing more people.
This damn testing (or lack thereof)! Stay safe FL friends!

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!

I know the elderly population in Broward is higher. If you look at the median pop between the two counties, it has a difference of 2 years, but median only tells you the age of the person in the exact middle, but there are A LOT of people that retire from up north and move to Broward. That's what's so scary about FL's numbers. The hot spot is where our elderly live.

BillyBob444

Reaction score
I know the elderly population in Broward is higher. If you look at the median pop between the two counties, it has a difference of 2 years, but median only tells you the age of the person in the exact middle, but there are A LOT of people that retire from up north and move to Broward. That's what's so scary about FL's numbers. The hot spot is where our elderly live.
The people in alot of areas are 25 to 49 because they are out working and also think they are invincible. Just look at the Spring Breakers

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
It is in the data. If you're in your 20s, you have about a 1% chance of being hospitalized. If you're in your 30s, you have a 3%. To me, it's stupid sacrificing your finances for such a small percentage. If you need to work to get by, then do it. Anyone that says otherwise doesn't know how being poor actually is.

I can work remote as a teacher without a huge impact on the economy, but I would rather take the 3% chance of even DIEING vs having to live in poverty. For example, having to listen to my crackhead neighbor beat the crap out of his wife all the time or worry that someone is going to break in so they can pawn my stuff for drugs, or wake up at 3 am because I heard gun shots. The PTSD that people get from having a childhood like that is WORSE than contracting covid. I personally would rather contract it than be poor 1000%. I would rather have lung damage than a panic disorder. Lung damage is more manageable. Getting panic attacks that come randomly with no rhyme or reason while you are at work is much harder to deal with. That's why people who grew up like that usually can't hold down a job.

Most people on this forum have never actually been around poverty and are in for a rude awakening if we keep things shut for too long. Crime is going to go up big time when people start to get desperate....just saying. Maybe people don't think they are invisible, maybe they just don't care about their odds because the alternative is worse. I grew up privileged, but my husband didn't so I have a pretty good perspective of both sides here. I can see just how much it has a lingering effect on a person much worse than lung damage.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
End of this discussion since it veered off from the original post about Bonnet Creek.

Status
Not open for further replies.