• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bold headings / New posts

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
The bold headings that indicate new postings since my previous visit are very helpful. But often they aren't accurate. If I rely on them, I tend to miss things. What determines which titles will appear in bold? How long do I have to get through the bulletin boards before the system changes the bolds to regular font?
If I'm interrupted while reading, or can't get all the way through all of the boards in one session, I find that most of the bolds have changed to regular font by the time I come back. Is there anyway to avoid that?

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
I *think* messages are indicated as "new" if they are new since your previous logon. If you logoff without reading all that is there, the ones that were already there prior to that logon will no longer be shown as "new" when you come back the next time.

TTom

Reaction score
I agree with Doug, but with one caveat.

If a thread has a new addition subsequent to when you last logged in, it will, once again, appear as "new".

So far as I am aware, the only way to avoid "losing threads" is not to log off the board until you are done, i.e., use the "Back" button. I haven't tried that after leaving the site/page for a while.

Tom

bigrick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sometimes when it takes me a few minutes to write a reply and then finally submit my post. Often when I see the full bbs again (in that same logon session) all the bold is gone and my last visit info in the upper right corner has changed as if I just logged in. I didn't log off. I was just writing a post.

What I do now to work around this is manually record (on paper!) the last visit info when I logon. Then if this info changes during my session I have my paper record to refer to so I don't miss the threads I'm trying to follow.

This change of last visit info then destroys my chance of using the 'new posts' button. When I use this button I record on paper again the links I where I want to respond. After viewing all the threads I go back and respond. If I respond while in the 'new post' list I chance losing the list because the last visit info may change on me. Once it does the new post list changes.

bigrick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey I think I found our answer in another thread. Look at Makai Guy's post (second from the top). The 15 minute window probably applies here. You can log on, write a longer than 15 minute post or look away for more than that time period, and then return with your last visit info updated and all your bold lost.

Either I have to learn to type faster, have less to say, or think faster, or ... :)

Thanks Doug for that info.

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
OK. 15 minutes. I'll have to learn to type faster. Maybe I can keep the bolds from disappearing while I'm working my way through the BBS.
But I wonder how to stop people from posting on a board that I've already read while I'm reading other boards? ;) It seems that those posts will not be highlighted the next time I log on.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Judy said:
OK. 15 minutes. I'll have to learn to type faster. Maybe I can keep the bolds from disappearing while I'm working my way through the BBS.
But I wonder how to stop people from posting on a board that I've already read while I'm reading other boards? ;) It seems that those posts will not be highlighted the next time I log on.

Judy, I'm not sure the 15 minute stuff is correct. When I return to a forum, new posts entered during that session will show up, and be marked as new. But then it would be a rare session where I didn't do SOMETHING for 15 minutes in one window/tab or another.

I suspect it may have something to do with the settings in your browser for accepting cookies. There are some niceties such as tracking new posts that can only be done at your end, via cookies sent from the board to your system.

Last edited:

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
Bold headings disappearing

I have the same problem but this is new in about the last month. Sometimes it takes me more than 15min to get through the forum and then it "acts" as if I've logged out and logged back in - which I haven't... I'd really like the bold headings to stay until I really log out.

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem. I don't think it's related to cookies -- I think the session times out after X minutes. If there's a way to increase X, it would be great. My X would be at least 30 minutes ... that should allow me to resolve the crisis of the moment! I generally know the approximate time that I last signed in, but I hate losing the "read first unread" feature.

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score
jerseygirl said:
I have the same problem. I don't think it's related to cookies -- I think the session times out after X minutes. If there's a way to increase X, it would be great. My X would be at least 30 minutes ... that should allow me to resolve the crisis of the moment! I generally know the approximate time that I last signed in, but I hate losing the "read first unread" feature.
I agree, "First Unread" feature is one of the nicests features of the new BBS. Would be great if it wouldn't time out so quickly, as it is so much faster getting through the various threads.

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, so I'm a bit slow catching on to some of the new BBS features, but for the most part no complaints.

I will say that I did like the feature of the old BBS that left posts in bold font (or changed colour or whatever it did back then) since your last log on by bbs, rather than just to TUG. I visited some boards more frequently than others so this was a big help for me.

Also, I miss the feature that underlined (again, or changed colour - do I have a short memory or what?!) specific topics that you yourself had previously posted to.

Perhaps the new BBS does have these features and I just haven't figured out my settings or something. If so, would someone please advise?

Thanks!

LeAnn

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
Me too - time out is too quick - or I'm too slow

jerseygirl said:

I get lost half way through - when I "time out" because it takes me too long to read some of the posts... then I don't know which I haven't read on the rest of the forum. I would love it if the time out period were lengthened.